Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tire pressure do i run on track day next saturday at Talladega Gran Prix Race Course? Its a 1.4 mile 7 or 8 turn road race course. I have a 2010 Shelby GT500 Convertible i take out there too and top speed there is 120mph. My GTR should do about 130! I called Nissan USA today and spoke to someone in the gtr department. She didn't know what pressure to run so i called Dunlop and they didnt . The dealer didnt know either. I took it to the dealer to have the 1,000 mile service and i don't think they did anything. My Shelby runs 32psi all around with the stock tires and when i run Hoosier R6's i run 42psi. The track is all left turns but one. I run thru the right front tire before the track day ends! I hope someone can please help me with this? The sticker in the door says 29psi in all four tires. The manual says 29psi rear and 30.0-31.9. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

·
Gojira driver
929 Posts
I ran my stock Dunlops at 29 PSi...worked well. Keep an eye on your hot tire pressure...38 PSI is ideal.

·
Registered
981 Posts
They're runflats, bro - it's not going to make much difference. I still have the stock rear dunlops on my 2010, and I run about 50psi on the street. When I get to the track I'll air down to about 30, but it makes very little difference. You aren't going to get much more contact patch by airing down. I would just leave them at 30 if that's what you already have in em...

·
Registered
597 Posts
There is no right answer to the question "what tire pressures should I have for the track." When you're tracking a car, what matters is the pressure in your tires during a hot lap, not the cold tire pressures. To dial in those pressures, you need to go out there, run a hot lap, then come in while the tires are still hot, and use a pyrometer to measure the temperature at the outside, middle, and inside of all 4 tires, then adjust the hot pressure accordingly. Google "pyrometer tire pressure" or some such. See e.g. http://949racing.com/using-a-tire-pyrometer-949-racing.aspx

That said, if you're lazy and/or don't have a pyrometer, I suggest adjusting your hot pressures to the mid-30s (e.g. 35-36psi) on all four corners. This usually translates into a cold tire pressure of around 27-28psi, but again, what matters is the pressure when the tires are hot.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts