Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the site and I'm waiting for my 2013 GTR which should be here in early march. I was looking for an advise on which exhaust system to use for my car and if anyone knows about a good technician in the New York area that I can go to, I would really appreciate some help!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I'm new to the site and I'm waiting for my 2013 GTR which should be here in early march. I was looking for an advise on which exhaust system to use for my car and if anyone knows about a good technician in the New York area that I can go to, I would really appreciate some help!
Hey - Welcome!

Exhaust wise putting a downpipe + midpipe will make your car sound great - I would start with that.

You'll need a flash / Cobb AP when doing the downpipes.

Upgraded Fuel pumps would be recommended.

We have a few guys on a tight budget and they go with the cheapest downpipe / mid pipe they can find, then spend on the money on the rear section.

I LOVE the HKS Legal Max rear section

If you want to start off slow, then just do a midpipe

I'm not sure where in NY your located, but were on the NY / CT boarder.

Let me know if you have any more questions

John

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Welcome! Theres no particular brand that is clearly the best. The decisions you will have to make is if you want a resonator or a cat converter or both. A resonator will decrease the "raspiness" of the exhaust tone and usually is an option on the midpipe portion of the exhaust system. A cat obviously reduces emissions, carbon build up on the back of your car and will lower the overall volume. The car, in stock form, has two sets of cats (one set on the downpipes and one set of the midpipe). Its advisable to have one set of cats somewhere down the pipeline to reduce fuel smell and carbon buildup but everyones priorities are different. Most on the forum will recommend if you are gonna have a set of cats on the exhaust system, to have them on the midpipe portion compared to the downpipe portion as the heat from the turbos can make the cats fail on the downpipes. The only drawback with the cat is that it does reduce flow a tad. I would recommend using atleast a 90mm (3.5 inch) system in case you want to tune for high horsepower.

To clarify: The exhaust system can be split into three sections: downpipes, midpipe (y-pipe), and rear section. The rear section is not very restrictive in comparison to the midpipe and downpipes so if you are on a budget and want some added performance, opt for the midpipe first as it will give you a decent horsepower gain plus a throatier exhaust note without the need for a ECU tune. The downpipes are the next step in horsepower and sound but will likely require a retune (Cobb AP or other). If you want to top it all off, the rear section will add a little bit of sound (as little 1-2 decibels) but will become more of an issue when you are pushing more horsepower (aftermarket or upgraded turbos).

·
Registered
425 Posts
the mid pipe would be the first thing id change. there are basically two types; a resonated and a non resonated. some things to keep in mind, the cars interior is loud to begin w. its a great car but not one id like to take for a three hour highway drive. that being said i happen to have a harmon motive mid pipe (non resonated). the car sounds great from the outside. i had work done at the shopct and could not be happier. if you are in northern ny, there is a dealer im very happy w as well. pm me if you like the names.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Be careful if you just change the midpipe. You will definitely make more power. But DRONE is a big issue (or at least was with me) even if you get the "resonated" pipes that many vendors sell. The drone can be absolutely miserable. Just my opinion. I'd probably go with an Akrapovic system that has both the mid and rear sections.

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
Consult with Sean from Iveytune.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
not sure why ud upgrade fuel pumps already?

it depends how much you wanna spend. what brand you want- jdm, american, or other(chinese/UK). titanium or stainless. 80 or 90mm size. the options are endless. for starters i would only do midpipe and exhaust. gt-rr.com and speedforsale.com probably have the widest selection of product to drool over an find the ones you want- then buy from them or whoever youd like. amuse systems are by far the best ive seen in person and met the guy who makes them in japan...but theyre $5-6k. every one is a little different and theyre all works of art.

i have a ti system and i can pick the entire thing up with one hand. i have non resonated/non catted midpipe since its not my daily driver i can handle more noise. downpipes add the most noise but require a tune (some recommend a tune just with midpipe and exhaust).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback, can't wait to get into my car. I just want to make sure that I get something that will let me do more work to it without having to replace what I get now because I plan to do more upgrades to it in the furutre...but if any of you had to pick a brand, size, or set up for the exaust system, which would you say is the best combination?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, can't wait to get into my car. I just want to make sure that I get something that will let me do more work to it without having to replace what I get now because I plan to do more upgrades to it in the furutre...but if any of you had to pick a brand, size, or set up for the exaust system, which would you say is the best combination?
Welcome and best of luck with your new car , as far as brands or types of exhaust go , there are a bunch of different exhausts available all in which are good . I personally like and run the HKS catless downpipes , resonated mid pipe and Legal max cat back exhaust system on my personal car , if you happen to have some time please feel free to contact us and or stop by to take a listen and or a ride it will ultimately help you choose the route in which you would like to go.

- Jimmy

·
Enthusiast
755 Posts
i'd go with aam dp & catted mid (+rear section later).

SIR pumps & 1150 inj

got boost intakes

cobb or ecutek

a nice and cheap package

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
amuse pictured. legamax is good and loud but only 80mm so if you're planning on more power with full tune/intakes/injectors/etc a 90mm set up may be the best option. should also consider if this is your daily driver or you'll take it on trips non-catted downpipes tend to smell when stopped at lights and be extremely loud. amuse does make a 90mm option but its pricey. any titanium exhaust will look great and take off a lot of weight on our heavy cars. definitely listen to a million sound clips of every set up to find the exact one you want. take a ride in the shopct's car and build relations with a good shop because they'll usually take better care of your car than the dealer will.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts