Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '09 GT-R, but it is not a DD. I have an '09 Cadillac CTS-V for that. It might not be a practical DD to some people, but I like it. While I wouldn't compare it to the GT-R, it has loads of power, is very comfortable, roomy, and ample hi-tech appointments. I also drove it this past winter here in the DC area (where the winter was a mild one) with a set of Pirellii Winter 240 Sottozeroes, and that cut down considerably on the wheel slip and loss of traction. So along comes the 2013 Shelby GT500 and I must admit I'm interested, even though I've never particularly liked Mustangs period (one reason is there seems to be far too many of them out there). I am debating the possibility of selling the CTS-V and buying the 2013 Shelby GT500 in its place. One thing I've learned right away is that because I would be driving the vehicle year round I would have to go with another tire for the Fall/Winter, just as I did for the CTS-V. That aside, I would appreciate everyone's thoughts, pro and con, on me making such a move. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If it is for a daily driver and you like Cadillac, I would say sell the 2009, buy a 2013, CTS all wheel drive. You already have the GT-R if you want something fast. I am presuming you want to stay in the $60k range since that is about what the GT500 costs. At that pricepoint for a daily, I would seriously consider an IS-F, M3, and C63.

Ryan

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
If I were going to have a dedicated DD, I would never consider one that isn't a four door.

·
Registered
601 Posts
These GMs ( CTS ) seems to have a severe case of PAE (Premature Airbag Ejaculation)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpL4VwhYSE8

·
Registered
334 Posts
In the same boat. Never a mustang fan but new ones look terrific, their comfy and 200+ mph is no joke.

If you go that route lmk what you want for your caddy

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the same boat. Never a mustang fan but new ones look terrific, their comfy and 200+ mph is no joke.

If you go that route lmk what you want for your caddy
Actually thinking of selling both my GT-R and CTS-V. Get a Gallardo as my fun car and some no name car as a real DD.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Actually thinking of selling both my GT-R and CTS-V. Get a Gallardo as my fun car and some no name car as a real DD.
What year Gallardo? The CTS-V is a fantastic car, I've only driven it once and was blown away. It's more of a DD than the 650hp GT500. But hey, your choice. I would probably go with something more fuel efficient as a DD. Also, do you want a stick shift car in congested traffic?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What year Gallardo? The CTS-V is a fantastic car, I've only driven it once and was blown away. It's more of a DD than the 650hp GT500. But hey, your choice. I would probably go with something more fuel efficient as a DD. Also, do you want a stick shift car in congested traffic?
Based upon inputs from the community and other sources, it looks like the Gallardo option is not going to be realistic. I'm looking at doing a, "facelift", on my GT-R, inside and out, as well as performance mods from Forged Performance. I'm going to make it my own exotic! I like the CTS-V, but believe it or not, I've grown bored with it over the past six months I've had it. Just doesn't do it for me the way the GT-R does, but then again, I did buy it as my DD.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Given those choices... CTS-V all day long. A GT500 would be loads of fun, but I would definitely categorize it as an extra car or a toy, not something I'd want to drive every day.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Based upon inputs from the community and other sources, it looks like the Gallardo option is not going to be realistic. I'm looking at doing a, "facelift", on my GT-R, inside and out, as well as performance mods from Forged Performance. I'm going to make it my own exotic! I like the CTS-V, but believe it or not, I've grown bored with it over the past six months I've had it. Just doesn't do it for me the way the GT-R does, but then again, I did buy it as my DD.
I got rid of my '09 CTS-V (549rwhp) a few months back. I was literally getting 12mpg on my daily commute (about 40 miles round trip). With the small gas tank I was filling up twice a week when you throw in running around and doing errands. I was averaging 25mph in DC metro area traffic. I came to the realization that there was no point having such a powerful car and driving it in situations where you can't go more than 50mph. My wife wanted to make the next car purchasing decision. She wanted a small SUV with luxury features and good gas mileage since we kind of share the DD (we work a couple of miles from each other and commute to work together). So we picked up a Range Rover Evoque. It gets pretty good gas mileage (about 21mpg over the same route the CTS-V was getting 12mpg). Now I can focus on making my GT-R faster!

Tom

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
I love the Evoque. They look way radical. Would love one of those as a DD.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I love the Evoque. They look way radical. Would love one of those as a DD.
I almost bought one, then we test drove it and it was a terrible let down. The engine was sleepy. handling was sloppy, the car is definitely not targeted toward driving enthusiasts. It needs to have an adjustable HSE suspension and a turbo 2.4L engine making 300+hp to make sense. Pricing wise it's actually not so bad consider the design and interior quality.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got rid of my '09 CTS-V (549rwhp) a few months back. I was literally getting 12mpg on my daily commute (about 40 miles round trip). With the small gas tank I was filling up twice a week when you throw in running around and doing errands. I was averaging 25mph in DC metro area traffic. I came to the realization that there was no point having such a powerful car and driving it in situations where you can't go more than 50mph. My wife wanted to make the next car purchasing decision. She wanted a small SUV with luxury features and good gas mileage since we kind of share the DD (we work a couple of miles from each other and commute to work together). So we picked up a Range Rover Evoque. It gets pretty good gas mileage (about 21mpg over the same route the CTS-V was getting 12mpg). Now I can focus on making my GT-R faster!

Tom
I'm with you on this, Tom, and most likely will sell my CTS-V and believe it or not fix up my GT-R exactly how I want it and use it as my DD. I actually average a couple more MPG's on my GT-R than my CTS-V. That's not saving a lot, but every bit helps. Might possibly get a real DD at some point, but not plans on that yet. I'm working with someone right now to put together a plan to either wrap my GT-R or repaint it (though I'm leaning more towards the wrap), add ground effects/exterior enhancements, possibly change the material of the interior seats, add other interiors enhancements, and finally do some performance mods to the car. Right now I'm working with Forged Performance on that, but the problem is, they are wanting me to drive my GT-R down to Georgia for them to do the install. I will tell you that I HATE long drives, and also do not want to put that many miles on my GT-R at once. So I will be looking at competing vendors.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I almost bought one, then we test drove it and it was a terrible let down. The engine was sleepy. handling was sloppy, the car is definitely not targeted toward driving enthusiasts. It needs to have an adjustable HSE suspension and a turbo 2.4L engine making 300+hp to make sense. Pricing wise it's actually not so bad consider the design and interior quality.
It isn't perfect. But the interior styling kind of sealed the deal. We were going to order one, but my wife fell in love with the one on the dealer lot. I got a REALLY good trade in value on my CTS-V and they actually took some money off the price of the Evoque to take the one they had off the lot. The handling isn't too bad, I like the tight feel but would say that the rear end doesn't stay as planted as I want it to when pushing it. I think if they solved that and replaced the Ford sourced Eccoboost Turbo 4 for the Eccoboost Turbo 6 (350+hp), that would pretty much make it ideal.

Tom

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm with you on this, Tom, and most likely will sell my CTS-V and believe it or not fix up my GT-R exactly how I want it and use it as my DD. I actually average a couple more MPG's on my GT-R than my CTS-V. That's not saving a lot, but every bit helps. Might possibly get a real DD at some point, but not plans on that yet. I'm working with someone right now to put together a plan to either wrap my GT-R or repaint it (though I'm leaning more towards the wrap), add ground effects/exterior enhancements, possibly change the material of the interior seats, add other interiors enhancements, and finally do some performance mods to the car. Right now I'm working with Forged Performance on that, but the problem is, they are wanting me to drive my GT-R down to Georgia for them to do the install. I will tell you that I HATE long drives, and also do not want to put that many miles on my GT-R at once. So I will be looking at competing vendors.
You can get a DD for the price of a GTRs exhaust. I wouldnt drive any of my toys to work or to run errands in (once in a while is fine). Especially if your worried about the milage .

I had 3 sports cars in my garage once and still drove my civic to work and the grocery store. I keep the expensive miles for pure enjoyment only.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You can get a DD for the price of a GTRs exhaust. I wouldnt drive any of my toys to work or to run errands in (once in a while is fine). Especially if your worried about the milage .

I had 3 sports cars in my garage once and still drove my civic to work and the grocery store. I keep the expensive miles for pure enjoyment only.
Expensive miles are the ones you don't put on ; )

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Expensive miles are the ones you don't put on ; )
I agree. My GT-R has just been sitting in my garage and I haven't been able to enjoy driving it much. I can't see letting such an awesome driving machine be a garage queen, unless a person is so well off that they can afford many high end performance cars, and can pick and choose what to drive every day, just like looking in your closet for the shoes you're going to wear that day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts