Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a 2015 gtr "FBO" e85, minus the intercooler. So after coming home from my dyno tune I had a 3-hour drive home and the car performed excellently, the next time I turned it on (yesterday) I immediately noticed a new ticking noise, the noise is only apparent from inside the car (driver/passenger seats) I'm aware that the gtr makes a few funky noises but this one is different. It sounds like a lifter tick, I don't know how else to describe it. I will be attaching 2 videos that can capture the noise. The first video is from my dash whereas it's not as apparent, the second will be with my phone sitting closest to the windshield and capturing said noise better. I've already let the company know that the car needs to be looked at and they're happy to take a look again, I don't know whether the noise is concerning enough to have the car towed out there as it can only be heard between 600-1000 rpm. Although the car itself has given me no issue just a new noise, there's no loss of power or other concerns associated with it, still drives how an "FBO" gtr should. Work done prior to dyno tune: Flex-fuel kit, dw300c fuel pumps, fuel filter replacement, spark plugs, torque solutions intake gasket, Trans service, Front & Rear diff service. I'm hoping it's nothing serious and it may be something loose. Any additional information is appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
Did you have any exhaust/intake before the ticking? The ticking sounds a little bit louder than it should to me personally but I am no expert.
Any car I have modified, though, always has a louder ticking noise when you open up the exhaust and/or intake. My 5th gen camaro sounded like a party was going on inside after I did exhaust, intake and intake manifold. Generally speaking, manufacturers do everything they can to make cars quiet and disconcerting even sports cars so as soon as you start changing things you can hear the mechanics of the engine a lot more.
To answer your towing question: I would check your oil first and foremost.If all of it leaked out on your 3 hour drive home that would explain ticking. If your oil is fine, then it’s up to you. I have found the cheapest way to move cars is to rent a uhaul trailer and drive it myself. Referencing back to my Camaro, I was 6.5 hours from home when I heard ticking; stopped and checked everything and it was fine; kept driving and a few minutes in my rear diff split in half doing 70mph on the highway. The seal gave out and I lost all my diff fluid. Didn’t see any leaks because it was already gone lol (😥)

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
What injectors are you running ?

Sounds completely normal to me. Atleast your bell housing isn’t chattering along with it lol.

Build the motor and it’s even louder.

Can search on YouTube - so many videos of the noise the R35 makes lol.

Random short -

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you have any exhaust/intake before the ticking? The ticking sounds a little bit louder than it should to me personally but I am no expert.
Any car I have modified, though, always has a louder ticking noise when you open up the exhaust and/or intake. My 5th gen camaro sounded like a party was going on inside after I did exhaust, intake and intake manifold. Generally speaking, manufacturers do everything they can to make cars quiet and disconcerting even sports cars so as soon as you start changing things you can hear the mechanics of the engine a lot more.
To answer your towing question: I would check your oil first and foremost.If all of it leaked out on your 3 hour drive home that would explain ticking. If your oil is fine, then it’s up to you. I have found the cheapest way to move cars is to rent a uhaul trailer and drive it myself. Referencing back to my Camaro, I was 6.5 hours from home when I heard ticking; stopped and checked everything and it was fine; kept driving and a few minutes in my rear diff split in half doing 70mph on the highway. The seal gave out and I lost all my diff fluid. Didn’t see any leaks because it was already gone lol (😥)
I did in fact check the oil, the car has been sitting till I can save enough money to get it checked out, issue still exists.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What injectors are you running ?

Sounds completely normal to me. Atleast your bell housing isn’t chattering along with it lol.

Build the motor and it’s even louder.

Can search on YouTube - so many videos of the noise the R35 makes lol.

Random short -
I am running idx 1050's along with a t1 e85 kit, dw300c fuel pumps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts