Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new 2015 a few days ago from the dealer. I wanted the aftercare paint protection pack applied to the car, which the dealers are usually trying to sell with any car as they make a margin on it. The dealer advised that the latest GTRs have a new kind of self repairing paint and they were not allowed to apply the paint protection to it.
Has anyone heard of this? I have never heard of a scratch repairing paint, and I also can't understand why a protective coating would have a negative impact on this.
Cheers

94 GTR R32 Vspec2
2009 GTR R35 premium
2013 GTR R35 black edition
2015 GTR premium

·
Founder/Admin
26,246 Posts
not all GTRs does have the self repairing paint. Nissan has used it on their Infiniti brand. What it does is on fine hairline swirls they will appear less prominent when left out in the sun

But the GTR doesn't have it. It does have a scratch shield clear coat but its nothing special and there is a note about it under your hood that tells you not to use abrasive polishing compounds

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I have a 2015 as well and never heard of this and I will take my chances with my clear bra! I'm so glad I did it as it's saved my paint from chips and scratches numerous times already. I can't say that Nissan's so called "scratch resistant" paint coating would have done the same.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
Not true. Refer to what MC said^^^

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys
I had a look under the hood and yes I have a sticker that says the car has been treated with "Nissan Scratch Shield" which is a recent upgrade to their normal clear coat. Its an elastic resin that combines with the clear coat that somehow self repairs.
the Nissan dealer has advised me that they only started applying this to the GTR in Dec 2014, and that Nissan advise against the aftercare protection packs.
Apparently I can only use approved products on the car but no one can tell me what the approved products are as yet.

found this link

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/scratch.html

and this one

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/automotive-magic-self-healing-car-paint-41252.html

·
Founder/Admin
26,246 Posts
thanks guys
I had a look under the hood and yes I have a sticker that says the car has been treated with "Nissan Scratch Shield" which is a recent upgrade to their normal clear coat. Its an elastic resin that combines with the clear coat that somehow self repairs.
the Nissan dealer has advised me that they only started applying this to the GTR in Dec 2014, and that Nissan advise against the aftercare protection packs.
Apparently I can only use approved products on the car but no one can tell me what the approved products are as yet.

found this link

http://www.nissan-gl...EW/scratch.html

and this one

http://www.autoevolu...aint-41252.html
its two different finishes for the GTR they have had the hard clear coat sticker since the 2012 DBA cars to my knowledge maybe before. the scratch shield in Japan was something on I think maybe just white and black GTRs but I see you have gunmetal so maybe they expanded it for 2015 to more colors

my interpertation on the approved products thing is they just dont want you to use anything abrasive with like a grit to it. so any sort of carnuba wax or paste or the new polymer stuff like turtle wax ice ect is fine for it. but you dont want to use something that dulls the paint to where you need to polish it to bring the luster back like a scratchX type product

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
the scratch shield in Japan was something on I think maybe just white and black GTRs but I see you have gunmetal so maybe they expanded it for 2015 to more colors
Dont know if it helps or not Matt but I have the scratch shield sticker under my hood as well.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I can tell you the scratch shield it pretty durable. Where you will see it fail is on the lower lip when you scuff it- then it looks like clear plastic wrap peeling off. It does a great job against love bugs though.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Doesn't do a great job when a 2012 Porsche 911 is in front of you and you go to pass -because he isn't as fast as you are I your 2015 GTR-and he hits some dirt and sand on the road and flicks it all over your car at 120 mph just as you are going to overtake him! ����. My regal red paint is now riddled with little "knicks" in the clear coat. In the right light it makes me cry! Thats what I get for coming up so fast!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Guess I'll get the whole front bumper repainted next year and get that clear bra nissan puts on. A few GTRs around town have it on the whole car and you can't even see it and it's self healing too.

·
R35
116 Posts
Guess I'll get the whole front bumper repainted next year and get that clear bra nissan puts on. A few GTRs around town have it on the whole car and you can't even see it and it's self healing too.
Agreed, Bronco motors did my whole car. It is definitely worth it.
Sent from my VS986 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
867 Posts
Agreed, Bronco motors did my whole car. It is definitely worth it.
you drive a black GTR? I was in bronco motors before I bought my 2015 from dennis dillon and was looking at white 2015 when I saw a black one being serviced for a dinged rim and they said a guy named Kaleb owned it from twin falls.

·
R35
116 Posts
you drive a black GTR? I was in bronco motors before I bought my 2015 from dennis dillon and was looking at white 2015 when I saw a black one being serviced for a dinged rim and they said a guy named Kaleb owned it from twin falls.
Yep that was mine in there, I had a place in Twin put a new set of tires on and they scratched my wheel up so had them fix that.

·
Pumps one and two, hit 'em!
321 Posts
The harder it is the more scratch resistant and prone to checking and chipping. Think diamond... hard but brittle. Soft paint gets scratches like mad but will become pot marked not chipped depending on what hit it. Best examples, British or Italian lacquer finishes. It's easier to correct scratches on hard paint with diminishing abrasive compounds and simple dual action or rotary polishers. So do you want the rash or the pimples?
toothpick tip touchup is easy, rub tip (just the tip) on ground to flatten to a brush. A toothpick tip not flattened out can't cling enough paint for fine touchup work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts