Nissan GT-R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
I told you already via Pm, this job is easy. Everything bolts right on.
Every time you change your steering wheel you will probably need an alignment though.
Please send me instructions as well. Really like to have it done. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It is easily doable.
He left his shifter in the column which completely miss the point why people want to retrofit 17+ wheel on the earlier car.

If you would like to have shifter on your steering wheel. Nismo sells a kit for $5k plus which includes harness and software to make it right. Its not worth that kind of money imho.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
He left his shifter in the column which completely miss the point why people want to retrofit 17+ wheel on the earlier car.
I think you're wrong about that. I take it you missed the poll/thread where the majority preference is NOT for the shifter to be on the wheel. Modernization is another reason for the steering wheel swap and it's great to see the swap works.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There is no technical challenge to swap steering wheel. The tough part is to make shifter and those buttons work. Mines steering wheel is a great one why sticks with an OE steering wheel. Even its new but you sacrifice functionalities of missing those buttons?

·
Super Moderator
8,960 Posts
I told you already via Pm, this job is easy. Everything bolts right on.
Every time you change your steering wheel you will probably need an alignment though.
Do all the buttons on the steering wheel still work?

·
Registered
28 Posts
17+ interior is nice

·
Super Moderator
8,960 Posts
Has anyone done this conversion and kept the paddles attached to the steering column?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone done this conversion and kept the paddles attached to the steering column?
This right here is why I like the DBA setup. Paddles on the column > paddles on the steering wheel

·
Super Moderator
8,960 Posts
This right here is why I like the DBA setup. Paddles on the column > paddles on the steering wheel
Same.

But I am curious if anyone has done it and if it's just plug and play with paddles still on the column.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I have a 2009 CBA and I just bought a 2017 Steering Wheel, Does anyone have the procedure to install it and make it all compatible?

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
The alignment is a waste of $$ if the alignment isn't the issue. In all likelihood, the steering wheel is just sitting on the wrong teeth.

The trick is to initially not fully engage the nut to secure the steering wheel onto the column. Go into a parking lot or if your driveway is long enough... remove the nut so the new steering wheel can be easily lifted off the column stub. Drive slow in a straight line to see where the steering wheel is positioned. If it's crooked while the car is tracking straight, lift the steering wheel off and reposition it so that it sits on the correct teeth. Tighten the nut and proceed to reassemble. Used to do this all of the time with previous cars and only takes a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Saw this on Youtube. It looks like it is doable.
I wonder if it is necessary to tap the 2 wires from that module into the factory harness if one plans to keep the paddles mounted to the column?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I wonder if it is necessary to tap the 2 wires from that module into the factory harness if one plans to keep the paddles mounted to the column?
Got a 2021 Nissan Altima loaner and I'm really starting to enjoy these new steering wheel designs & button layout. Contemplating this swap.

Paddle shifters are mounted on the wheel itself so I'm not sure you can keep the mounted ones

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Did some more research on this and it looks like keeping the paddles on the column is very possible and is actually easier as it makes for a true plug and play installation if that's the preferred setup. Converting to the new steering wheel mounted paddles is when things start getting more complicated by some degree with the wiring. The paddles on the 2017+ seems to just clip-on and modular so that's an easy removal.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts