Nissan GT-R Forum banner

2017 Gtr steering wheel retrofit for DBA

40K views 87 replies 30 participants last post by  Creative_Poh 
#1 ·
As per topic is it possible to fit 2017 gtr steering into older models?

#53 ·
@L.L. very appreciative of all your work on this! Always wanted to do this just didn't know the details/work needed to do this conversion. I might be the minority here but i prefer 2017+ leather steering wheel, i only see Nismo version on eBay.
With having both the Nismo alcantara steering wheel and the re-trimmed wheel from Andy/R35audio side by side, I prefer the leather trim as well. The leather just has a better overall feel to it but then again alcantara has never been my thing. The OEM leather 2017+ wheel is an arm and a leg though. It is $2500+ without the airbag so it makes sense some just buy the Nismo steering wheel at just under $2k after taxes and shipping to the US.

#54 ·
A little update on the buttons...

Neither Mitchell1 ProDemand nor the Nissan service manuals provide the pinouts for the steering wheel control harness. The 8-pin connector is listed with the color of wires but the description column is all blank. That's pretty much a dead end.

I rewatched the OHC YouTube video again and saw they are in fact using a decoder module tucked away near the right set of buttons before the new airbag is installed. I reached out to OHC on IG and they do sell the module for $250 which I did purchase. It'll ship out of HK tomorrow and I'll post an update once I receive it.

#56 ·
A little update on the buttons...

Neither Mitchell1 ProDemand nor the Nissan service manuals provide the pinouts for the steering wheel control harness. The 8-pin connector is listed with the color of wires but the description column is all blank. That's pretty much a dead end.

I rewatched the OHC YouTube video again and saw they are in fact using a decoder module tucked away near the right set of buttons before the new airbag is installed. I reached out to OHC on IG and they do sell the module for $250 which I did purchase. It'll ship out of HK tomorrow and I'll post an update once I receive it.
Hi L.L.,

Please keep us updated, I will be following your footsteps on this retrofit. Any link to decoder module you purchases from OHC?

Thanks

#57 ·
Hi L.L.,

Please keep us updated, I will be following your footsteps on this retrofit. Any link to decoder module you purchases from OHC?

Thanks
Unfortunately, there's not a direct link to the module on their site. I DM'ed OHC on IG and asked to purchase it directly. After sending pictures to confirm we were both on the same page, a PayPal invoice was sent to my email address for the item. They were very responsive and the whole transaction took ten minutes at most.

If everything works as expected, others could also contact them directly asking for the item as invoiced:

1.0 x Upgrade Module for old model to new model switches for GT-R

https://www.instagram.com/ohcmotors/?hl=en

I'll keep everyone posted on how well the module works once it gets here.

#62 ·
Quick update...

DHL delivered the module today. Install was pretty simple but I haven't had any luck getting it to work correctly. With the module connected, the button mappings are the same as it was before with no difference whatsoever. It's possible they may have sent the wrong harness as the 2017+ paddles are 3-pin but the harness only accepts a connection from a 2-pin paddle. I'll have to report back if there's a fix. The updated wheel is working fine otherwise. No issues to report.

#65 ·
So it looks like I have same harness as you L.L.
has 2 pin connector
That harness is exactly what I received. Although the paddle shifters technically only have two live wires/pins, the 3-pin connectors from the paddles won't mate up which is the whole point of the wiring kit if some chose to integrate the new wheel mounted paddles. The connector that plugs into the each set of steering wheel buttons are also physically different from the OEM plugs but at least the pins line up and plug in just fine with the proper retention.

Either way, because I wanted to eliminate any other variables, I wired up both modules to power everything up. The main goal was to test whether the buttons alone would function correctly and work around any other issues. Unfortunately, there was no difference and I sent OHC a video of the results. I also mentioned to OHC that the clock springs are visually different as the older DBA cars (pre-2014?) in their install video have ribbed/raised areas while the newer clock springs in the newer DBAs do not. Internally, we both weren't sure if there were any changes so they are going to reassess with their vendor and see if they can figure out the differences.

At this point, anyone else interested in the conversion should hold off on ordering the module until there is a resolution. Based on their video, where it shows the paddles working, I would speculate that the harness connector differences was a mistake on their vendor's end. I would like to think the newer paddles all use that same connector and harness configuration from Nissan regardless of region.

Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle Automotive tire Car

#66 ·
im still waiting on my 17 steering wheel to come in, figured i would just have everything ready for the install. Judging by your explanation and picture, i too agree it could just be harness connector mismatch. keep us updated on what you find out, hopefully its an easy fix.

#68 ·
I haven't heard anything back either and haven't been actively following up as we've been traveling. I'll follow up with them later this evening and see if there has been any progress. Did you already receive and install the '17 steering wheel?

#70 ·
OHC replied and stated the revised harness could be ready next week. Based on previous timelines provided I would add at least another week :)

Installing the '17 wheel and airbag before receiving the harness will require some redundant steps in removing & reinstalling the airbag and possibly the entire wheel again. It's a little tricky to get the newer airbag off once it's installed but, after a few repetitions, it's a piece of cake.

My one recommendation is to tape the plastic trim on the front of the wheel and airbag face with masking tape to avoid scratching them each time things need to come apart.

I had zero patience and don't regret installing it ahead of time. :cool:

#72 ·
Well I couldn't wait any longer, decided to install it. Steering wheels buttons are exactly as you described above @L.L. Overall very happy and should've done it sooner. OHC said they were working on adjusting PCB board for the steering buttons and haven't heard anything since. Maybe you can talk some sense into them.

Attachments

#73 ·
@ShortRound the new wheel looks great!

OHC sent a message last weekend with an update that their engineers were still in the process of testing the changes. Hopefully we'll hear back with more updates soon.

Reactions: ShortRound
#74 ·
Any new info from OHC? Ever since the 2017+ GTRs came out I have been wanting to mod my 2015 and move the paddles to the steering wheel.

#79 ·
I haven't pursued anything further with the steering wheel. Back in November, another GTR owner on IG told me OHC is now offering a different solution that includes the decoder module and modified OEM buttons when retrofitting the 17+ wheel on a DBA/CBA. Cost is $550 but I don't have any further details on whether a core exchange is needed.

#81 ·
The car where I have the retrofitted steering wheel installed is a 2016. He's not wrong that the install is easy, everything bolts right on, and all of the buttons work. It's just that the arrangement of the audio buttons aren't exactly where they're supposed to be. 🙂