Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
R35 Member
76 Posts

Wussup GT-R brothers and sisters,

It's been 2 weeks since I got my car back with the FBO E85 setup and I figured it was time to do a review. The forum assisted me with many of my current and future mods so its only right I return the favor! I received my new 2017 Super Silver in October of 2016 and I instantly fell in love! Previously owning a Corvette C7, the comparison was night and day. My first impression? The wheels didn't spin! AWD is so refreshing! And all the little revisions made to the 17 were legit and gave the car this exotic feel like its $200k+ competitors. But after nearly a year into ownership and meeting all the local GT-R members in Houston, the usual topic of conversation was... "what's next?".

In the beginning, the R35 platform was extremely foreign to me and pretty much intimidating so it took plenty of research and a few rides with modded GT-R homies to narrow down my options. Im 30 years old so when I was growing up, I've always loved "Godzilla's" history, good looks, endless power, and when the Fast & Furious movies dropped, Paul Walker made every car junkie want a GT-R! So why did I choose Speed By Design?

The first word comes to mind is "VALUE". I'm a Finance Director for AutoNation and I've been selling value and benefits to my clients for the last 7 years now so I can appreciate quality products, with the same if not better results as the usual suspects, for a reasonable price! I drove multiple FBO E85 GT-R's equipped with my top 3 choices; Boost Logic, ArmyTrix, and the Meisterschaft. ALL 3 AMAZING SYTEMS by the way! However, I found myself often confused with the necessity of the supporting mods such as a larger intercooler, ic pipes, bov's, engine breathing / catch can systems, Cobb or Ecutek? Titanium or stainless steel? Catted or nah? All these questions I had came with many different answers based on my power desires but no one could tell me what I simply needed to achieve my 650 WHP goal without buying unnecessary parts until I met my boy Frank lol.

A few months ago, I remember sending Frank a long ass list of parts with a HEAVY price tag that I was about to purchase. Completely sold that this was what I needed to get the power and reliability. I knew his GT-R was fast and sounded good but I didn't know what was in it. He showed me some dyno results and had the video to prove it. All with a SBD700 package which includes Cobb AP, flex fuel kit, intakes, 1150cc injectors, fuel pumps, down pipes, mid pipe, and catback. I opted for the Super Race version which is completely straight pipe with no cats. This is exactly what I was looking for. Nothing more, nothing less. I figured when Im ready for more power then I can pick up the items needed to support larger turbos. Last thing I wanted was a bunch of parts that I would have to replace later. Serious pet peeve!

I reached out to Tim Ferreira on Facebook and he messaged me back with in seconds! I picked his brain a bit just to make sure he wasn't just another greedy GT-R sales dummy but he's a fellow owner and has all the products they sell on his own personal vehicle. Really cool dude and down to earth. He confirmed the products in the SBD700 were all I needed and didn't try to upsell me. He made it pretty clear that in due time, I'll want more power and I'll know where to find him lol. The dude has a swagger that practically sells itself. Sadly, I was a day or 2 late and just missed their big 4th of July sale but Tim was nice enough to honor the discount to earn my business. All items showed up perfectly packaged with no damage in about 3 days!

Damn... I just realized how long this review was LOL! Ok, I'll wrap this up. Huge shout out to Ted and the crew at Europower for the professional install and the "Doctor" Timothy Bailey for the amazing tune! Overall, Im very pleased with the SBD700 package. Absolutely no regrets and I would recommend Speed By Design to anyone that's in the market for above average power and quality products without breaking the bank. I hope you all enjoy the video footage I captured today to show you just how beautiful the SBD Super Race Exhaust sounds! It's loud AF when you get on it (in a good way) but not unbearable at cruising speed. Now my car sounds and performs like a GT-R! Enjoy... Thanks again Frank for the referral!

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was also looking at catch cans at FBO e85 levels.. it's suppose to stop the excess oil from flowing through the engine or some shiz

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great video I was wishing it was longer! lol. I'm soon to be in the same boat, I currently have meisterschaft exhaust and I want to do just 3 inch intakes and a tune for now, but soon I would like a similar package minus E85. Have a buddy in town here in Bradenton who recommended SBD and that's where I'll be going.

·
7.9 @ 175mph (Gen 3 SBD1400R)
8,564 Posts
Great video I was wishing it was longer! lol. I'm soon to be in the same boat, I currently have meisterschaft exhaust and I want to do just 3 inch intakes and a tune for now, but soon I would like a similar package minus E85. Have a buddy in town here in Bradenton who recommended SBD and that's where I'll be going.
For all the drama in this community, when you talk to ACTUAL SBD owners....they are happy and are our best referral source.

Welcome to the family!

·
Registered
387 Posts
SBD700 package is best deal out there to get a stock GT-R to the next level--and that level is an awesome level!

And Chris's customer service is second to none.

·
I Haul Ass
1,871 Posts
I'm soon to be in the same boat, I currently have meisterschaft exhaust and I want to do just 3 inch intakes and a tune for now, but soon I would like a similar package minus E85.
All you'd lack is 1150cc injectors + DW300C pumps.
I can do the combo for $999 ;)
tchrist94 wouldn't need 1150cc injectors to run pump gas - all that's needed are 1000cc or 1050cc injectors and probably pumps.

For all the drama in this community, when you talk to ACTUAL SBD owners....they are happy and are our best referral source.
I am ACTUAL SBD owner.

·
8,564 Posts
100% accurate, our 1050cc injectors would be perfectly adequate for 91/93 octane.

But my experience is LOTS of customers quickly move to E85 once they taste power and wish they had the bigger injectors out the gate for future proofing.

With that said, if you're 100% confident you'll never use E85, we sell the Bosch 1050cc + DW300C combo for $899.

·
Registered
32 Posts
tchrist94 wouldn't need 1150cc injectors to run pump gas - all that's needed are 1000cc or 1050cc injectors and probably pumps.

I am ACTUAL SBD owner.
I appreciate that, I will be sticking with 93 so that should be sufficient.

100% accurate, our 1050cc injectors would be perfectly adequate for 91/93 octane.

But my experience is LOTS of customers quickly move to E85 once they taste power and wish they had the bigger injectors out the gate for future proofing.

With that said, if you're 100% confident you'll never use E85, we sell the Bosch 1050cc + DW300C combo for $899.
Yeah I'm confident I will be sticking with 93. I'll be looking at down pipes as well (currently just have midpipe and catback) and someone recommended I upgrade the inlets as well, what do you think?

·
8,564 Posts
I appreciate that, I will be sticking with 93 so that should be sufficient.

Yeah I'm confident I will be sticking with 93. I'll be looking at down pipes as well (currently just have midpipe and catback) and someone recommended I upgrade the inlets as well, what do you think?
1050cc would be fine and it's a $100 discount if you substitute them for the 1150cc, so that might be the better way to go for you.

If you have a CBA (09-11) the inlets are restrictive and it's a worthy upgrade that sees a nice power gain.

If it's a DBA, I'd probably hold off as they are a pain to install and the gains over the larger DBA inlets are small on stock turbos.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1050cc would be fine and it's a $100 discount if you substitute them for the 1150cc, so that might be the better way to go for you.

If you have a CBA (09-11) the inlets are restrictive and it's a worthy upgrade that sees a nice power gain.

If it's a DBA, I'd probably hold off as they are a pain to install and the gains over the larger DBA inlets are small on stock turbos.
it's a 2013 so I suppose I'm good there. Thank you very much, I think these will be in my near future and you guys will be my go-to!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.