Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Greyzilla activist
392 Posts
Just got back from 24 month pos
The dealer wants to change transmission fluid as I have hit temp 4 (236-262 F)
22 times this past year... Only about 3000 miles on this transmission fluid--
Willall light
4 track days

Experts... Do u think I need to change my tranny fluid???
Also dealer mentioned at 24months I need a coolant flush??
I live in California where the temp rarely gets below 34F...
Any advice would be helpful

Michael

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I know the fluid you are using is batter at high temps. But I think Martin or Shawn can anwser that question better.

As for the coolant. I would folow nissan's guidelines and recomend a change based on age.

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
What I was told about coolant was that the Ph gets out of whack and it starts attacking metal components. I don't think the change is recommended because of the fear that it's going to freeze and damage your engine.

I have always been a believer in following the guidlines on fluid changes. If you think it's expensive to maintane one of these cars then try not maintaning one. That becomes really expensive.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I can tell you what they will say. your transmission fluid is fine. Only 3000 miles and four track days? that's nothing even for Willall light...

The coolant flush is complete BS... dealers do this to make extra money and they know some people will say ok. Does the manula say to do it? My mechanic told me to never flush the coolant on my 1998 Maxima and after it was totaled in 2008 with 140,000 miles I checked the coolant and it looked very good..

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Just got back from 24 month pos
The dealer wants to change transmission fluid as I have hit temp 4 (236-262 F)
22 times this past year... Only about 3000 miles on this transmission fluid--
Willall light
4 track days

Experts... Do u think I need to change my tranny fluid???
No.

but the warranty is at risk. The replacement is based on the oxidation prone OEM fluid. It is recommended to be changed due to the high temp. The WillAll light lives in a different world than the OEM. The fluid is fine, but if you have a transmission failure, not changing it may be used as reason for warranty denial.

Also dealer mentioned at 24months I need a coolant flush??
I live in California where the temp rarely gets below 34F...
Any advice would be helpful

Michael
No flush needed. But, if you're tracking, replace between 12 and 24 months. The high temp tends, as Zavodney says, to disrupt the pH balance of the "Japanese Blue" fluids, and the cooling system components will have less scale and better cooling performance with changes at 12-24 months. If you're granny driving it, then toss that recommendation out the window, and it will last 50,000 miles easily. High temp is the enemy of modern antifreeze.

Shawn

·
Greyzilla activist
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I decided that I will drain my radiator and change over to Evans NPG+
I don't think it's feasible to get to the plug for the engine block... Should I take it to a shop to get it completely drained or just use the Evans prep flush or just do what Shawn has advised I the past and just drain and fill and not worry about what's left???

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a question. I just bought a 2010 with 8500 miles. There are no service records for major service. I have to bring the car in for pos service in 1500 miles. I never track the car and I never drive it at more than 70-80 miles an hour for 10-15 miles. I think when it goes in for pos service I'm gonna have them do a coolant drain and fill, front and rear diff. fluid and transmission fluid ( drop pan and clean- up) just to be safe. I don't care about money, I just want to take good care of my car. Note: the car is never driven in temps cooler than 5 degrees Celsius. Can someone help me out with which fluids will give me the best protection possible?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a question. I just bought a 2010 with 8500 miles. There are no service records for major service. I have to bring the car in for pos service in 1500 miles. I never track the car and I never drive it at more than 70-80 miles an hour for 10-15 miles. I think when it goes in for pos service I'm gonna have them do a coolant drain and fill, front and rear diff. fluid and transmission fluid ( drop pan and clean- up) just to be safe. I don't care about money, I just want to take good care of my car. Note: the car is never driven in temps cooler than 5 degrees Celsius. Can someone help me out with which fluids will give me the best protection possible?
Being straight up serious... If the car spends 99% of its life below 70 and 100% of its life below 80 it *really* isn't going to matter what fluid you use. Just follow the dealer schedule (and consider trading for an Altima...
I kid I kid!)

The car isn't made of glass nor is it some hyper temperamental 60's Jag style beast... On a '10 with 8500 miles there would not have been any "major service". Really just oil changes and a POS or two

1 - 8 of 8 Posts