Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
***Admins...permission requested to keep this thread on the main section as many of the attendees do it regularly visit the track sub forum***

Hi everyone,

As most of you know we have delayed our 3rd Annual GT-R owners VIR track day announcement in order to consider a few more options. As much as we all enjoy the exclusivity of a GT-R only track event, from a weather standpoint, the Feb timeframe is really miserable. The first year we did the event, it was sunny but sub freezing with the wind chill factor. The 2nd annual event was marred by rain for the second half of the day. In order to keep costs reasonble, we've schedule the event in the off season (Feb) but I feel we can make this even much more enjoyable if we devise a way to push the event into the spring/very early summer.

Beginning early March, the "high season" rates apply. In order to maintain a $450'ish price we would need closer to 60 participants, rather than the 30 we usually get at these events. As always, the event will still be held on a MONDAY but possibly Friday. Weekends are out of the question due to incredibly high costs. Because I think it's unlikely we'll attract 60 GT-R owners for a trackday, we are considering opening up the registration to the Germans and maybe other Nissan's like the 370Z owners communities. Keep in mind that Virgnia International Raceway is a huge circuit, and 3 groups of 20 cars is still an enormous amount of open track time, and plenty of time of classroom and track instruction.

With more participants involved, we are also considering hiring one of the top American pro drivers, such as Randy Pobts or Patrick Long to do some guest instruction/ridealongs.

Thoughts and feedback are welcome, with the goal of making this the best NAGTROC track day on record!

And to get the track day juices flowing...a video! :

·
Registered
282 Posts
Calgary is a long way from VIR, and odds are slim I can make it, but I would sure try harder in the spring or summer. I grew up in Norfolk, and know all too well how crappy February can be.

·
Founder/Admin
26,505 Posts
Also wanted to add I would be open to inviting the370z.com members out if that gets us closer to where we need to be

·
Registered
127 Posts
After 4 consecutive seasons of Audi Club/Porche Club at VIR (in an s4) I would love to play with the Germans (in a superior car
).... Weather is always hit or miss in spring and fall, but Im all for increasing our odds. Keep us posted !

·
OnTrack Maniac
1,654 Posts
Obviously, rain could be an issue on any given day but it would eliminate the cold factor if you pushed it back. Bringing in some of the Porsche or 370 crowd would be fine with me. If you break 60 up into 3 groups of 20 cars, that's still a fairly open track. Most of the events I've been to have closer to 40 cars in each group and many of them are much slower than what we're talking about for this so it should still work out pretty good.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Barber is MUCHO DINERO! You'd need to invite the Krouts, Bowtie's,Prancing Horsies,Bimmers,Bulls and Snakes to make that one work.
LOL.

VIR has been chosen for many reasons, including it's centralized location for those traveling from the north, and the south.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's not something you can teach in a day.
He was kidding...note the smiley.

Leh knows he has an open invitation to any of our events.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sharif:

Thanks for taking the responsibility again this year to put together a great event at VIR.

Personally I would hike out from Chicago for an event like this if it was later in the year as you are indicating. Opening the doors to multiple brands would be pretty fun as well. Yeah it is fun to chase other GT-R's around the track all day long, but throw in some PCars, Bimmers, 370's and maybe some well prepped Z06's, I am sure no one here would complain.

The reality is not everyone here tracks their GT-R as you are well aware, and to get even 25 GT-R's on the same track is an accomplishment in itself.

Subscribed for more details as they come along....

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I have an idea I both love and hate... how about a GT-R/Porsche Carerra Turbo event? Or even, as you suggest, extent it to other models in Nissan/Porsche lines. The Turbo was the benchmark for the R35 afterall. I think if you get people with the right attitude it would be a fun, competitive event. Unfortunately, the part I hate is that there would be people (likely on both sides of the argument) that would be too competitive and go all "red mist". If the latter could be mitigated well, I think it could be marketed as a cool Euro vs Asia supercar day.

·
OnTrack Maniac
1,654 Posts
Standard "point-by" passing rules would still be in effect just like last year so I don't think it could become dangerous or overly competitive. It's not like full-out racing or even time-attack where you can just fly by without permission. If we can find a way to have the groups are broken up into relative speed/laptimes categories, everyone should be able to have fun and you shouldn't have any extreme differences in relative speed between drivers in each group. I think it could be worked out.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have an idea I both love and hate... how about a GT-R/Porsche Carerra Turbo event? Or even, as you suggest, extent it to other models in Nissan/Porsche lines. The Turbo was the benchmark for the R35 afterall. I think if you get people with the right attitude it would be a fun, competitive event. Unfortunately, the part I hate is that there would be people (likely on both sides of the argument) that would be too competitive and go all "red mist". If the latter could be mitigated well, I think it could be marketed as a cool Euro vs Asia supercar day.
That's interesting.

So it sounds like everyone is OK, and even encouraging us to open it up to some other makes.

If the demand and interest on both camps is there, perhaps we could take 10 mins out of the schedule and do a mini 3 lap Time Attack with just the fastest GT-R, the fastest Porsche (hopefully a GT2 or a 2010 997 TT), and the fastest Vette (if we have some in attendance). Might make for an interesting show, and by segregating the competition, we won't be putting other cars in harms way. GoPro Cameras front and back, and Traqmate data acquisition on all 3 vehicles.

If we are all still in agreement, I will start looking for a date later in the year, and get things moving along. I am liking the sounds of this more and more.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
If it wasn't for this small land mass called the entire United States between me and VIR, I'd definitely show up.

Sounds like fun! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 250 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.