Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well today was fun at the local Cars and Coffee until leaving... I was driving in 3rd very casual at like 40mph (ish) and a turbo vet pulled up beside me to tease me, of course. So like every other normal guy, I downshifted to 2nd and floored it to only find out that I had no power and no boost. When I downshifted to 2nd rpms were around 6k and when I floored it it stayed at 6k - very odd. The car didn't raise rpm or build any boost! I switched to 3rd and went WOT no problems. After that I downshifted again to see if the car would do it again and it pulled from 4-7k just fine in 2nd, did a clean 3rd gear shift and pulled to redline no issues. So what happened when I downshifted the first time? Engine and trans oil temps were 170-175 and I noticed zero knock on the weird downshift incident. All I could think of was the downshift rpm was too high in 2nd when I floored it at 6k... Does the car have some type of built-in failsafe if you downshift and the rpms go above 6k it won't build boost? Car has a built motor stock MY12 trans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for the help.

Mike

·
gta88ws6
832 Posts
You weren't in snow or save mode on accident were you?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No snow, RRR

Sent from my SM-G900V using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only had the issue once. If it was ic piping it would be a constant issue

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
I've had it happen to me before but I was in auto mode. it was like the solenoids that build the boost weren't working correctly. i solved the problem by driving in manual mode constantly. My guess is it's in the tune.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hmm, wonder if Trac Control came on? The first time I encounter TC, it was pretty similar. I was doing a pull in Second, traction light came on, then it went. But what you're saying is like you hit a brick wall.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hmm, wonder if Trac Control came on? The first time I encounter TC, it was pretty similar. I was doing a pull in Second, traction light came on, then it went. But what you're saying is like you hit a brick wall.
It was def not TC and exactly like a brick wall. However I saw zero knock so it didn't pull timing. It was really weird. It just sat there at 6k and didnt budge, even with the car floored. It didn't even seem like my foot was on the gas. Lol

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone else have any idea what may have happened and why?

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
Anyone else have any idea what may have happened and why?

Its the tranny tune. Why? I don't know. Load your stock tune and it will go away.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks joe. I just emailed Ben (he tuned the car on LC5) to see what he has to say.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Does your tuner have safeties enabled, and are they tuned correctly? Setting safeties can cause this niusance issues if they are not tuned correctly for the rest of the tune, even though the car would run fine without them. Definitely pull a log and check for this with your tuner.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
This happened to me once but realized I was in save mode lol.

Very weird though if you were in RRR. Let us know if you find anything.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Does your tuner have safeties enabled, and are they tuned correctly? Setting safeties can cause this niusance issues if they are not tuned correctly for the rest of the tune, even though the car would run fine without them. Definitely pull a log and check for this with your tuner.
Yup. My safety features sometimes cause this. Frustrating when trying to roll race a stranger

Sent from my SM-G928P using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup. My safety features sometimes cause this. Frustrating when trying to roll race a stranger

Sent from my SM-G928P using GT-R Life mobile app
Sounds like that might be my problem then. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
142 Posts
Did you find the issue? I'm having same issues. But it happens 2/3 times no power on WOT.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It's the safeties in cobb. If they're too aggressive or if the tune isn't just right. Starting that high in the rpm the stft safety is already active so if you hit 120 or whatever on tip in...the safety kicks in and takes your throttle away until you let off and it resets.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Is there any way I can adjust that? It needs new tune with updated safeties deactivated? How's other FBO GTRs set up? Or is it something I have to slow down to 30 MPH then shift into 2nd and bring it up to 40MPH and start roll?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts