That other Gray color that isnt Titanium1513.76%
Matte Something (specify)32.75%

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm still waiting for my GT-R to be as versatile as my '84 Z-28. The Z-28 used to double as a wading pool whenever it rained. Unfortunately no such luck with the GT-R yet.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I LOVE my car. I like the way when you floor it, you dont just.. move forward. The tires spin, you get pushed up into the seat, you can feel the back end stepping out a little bit, and whenever it shifts the car kicks you in the ass. It's a pretty intense driving experience.. But I made a mistake.

I've modified the living shit out of my daily driver, and now that I have all this power, it's difficult to find a car that will compare to it for under 150,000 dollars.

I went to a Nissan dealership and test drove a silver 2009 GTR with 22,000 miles.. It was nice. It was fast, it can corner, its... tame..
I'm really not sure what to do. I like the raw American power, but I'm not sure how much longer I can drive this. It gets about 12mpg for christ sake. I can name a million good things about the GTR. Its fast, it handles well, its comfortable, it has a big trunk, i wont have to worry about it, i can actually drive around curbs and drivethroughs since it doesnt have custom wheels, It gets better(?) mpg, and it will last into the future. I think.

Now, I can also name a ton about the Camaro. It's just so difficult to replace the car I've put so much time, money, history, and memories into. I can't decide if I can get rid of all that just to drive a better machine. The GTR is incredible, but it doesn't have the soul like the Camaro

I'm not sure, but I also want to know what you guys think aesthetically of a GTR v.s my car. I've only seen a red and silver GTR in person, and i think they are the most non-photogenic cars in the world, so I'm going to let you guys vote on your favorite color since I'm having a hard time.

Here's my car and the GTR I drove
Here is your main problem....you are comparing a highly modified Camaro against a stock GT-R. Do you remember what your Camaro felt like before the mods? Night and day difference...right? Well the GT-R with mods loses that tamed feeling. Yes, it still has the AWD and amazing handling and braking so it takes a lot more power to push it to the limits of its chassis. However, even "minor" mods helps give the GT-R more....I'll call it.... "personality".

As far as a daily driver...I wouldn't recommend driving it on a daily basis. My '09's ride is a little too harsh and the front lip scrapes way too easily. I had an '09 CTS-V (549rwhp) as the daily driver until last month...but between my wife complaining about be scared to drive it.... and the literal 11.5-13.5 mpg ....I made a huge change and let my wife pick the next car (we car pool to work together)...she chose a Range Rover Evoque. Now on the same driving I get 22 mpg and the fit and finish of the interior is actually really good. It is peppy...but not fast....but if I want fast I take the GT-R out for a spin....and I even get around 17+mpg in that car.

Tom

·
SPI Performance Consultant
2,997 Posts
In all fairness to the OP, I think automotive soul has been defined as how hard it is to drive a particular vehicle. I don't think Nissan is going to apologize to anyone for building an incredible car that is relatively easy to drive fast in comparison to other vehicles on the road today, but it's soul does become apparent when you push it on the road course or add a significant amount of power. We build GTR's here that can behave just like your Camaro does when it comes down to feel from the cockpit, the only difference is that you end up with a car that runs mid to high 9's at 145-150mph. Seamless performance. I have heard from many P800 owners that they have looked down after a WOT pull and can't believe that they are doing 150+mph because it truly does not feel like it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You're on a GTR forum. Honestly, the Camaro is too gawdy to me, and they aren't very impressive as far as build quality. You can't really compare a car with a base price in the $20k range to one with a base price in the $70-90k range. The GTR is superior in every way, and I'd be willing to bet a full exhaust/tune GTR would show you tail lights.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
gtr ftw. if you get tired of it stock, the sky is the limit of what you can do to it. also mild mods make a world of difference too, like just exhaust or add a mild ecu tune.

gtr looks nice stock but can be made even better with some rims, color changes, body kits that are mild, etc.

your camaro looks nice but its not a 69camero like my pops had ages ago ;)
certainly a good platform tho!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I havent even bought a GTR yet, so this is probably way into the future. Lets say I want my GTR to run 9's. How much would that even cost? I saw the alpha 9 package for like 23,000 dollars. What about if I wanted it to run a low 10 second?
Just bolt-ons: full exhaust, tune, intake, injectors and turbo inlets...low 10 second car...done... cost: under $10K

Tom

·
Registered
862 Posts
Well...I have stock rear exhaust but with downpipes, midpipe, 2.75" intakes, injectors and tune and I ran 10.838 @ 128.4mph WITHOUT using launch control. A buddy of mine has the same mods but with the 3" rear section of the exhaust and he makes 20+awhp more on the same Dynojet and we both make the same torque. My stock rear section is obviously a restriction....so with that done and the turbo inlets..and using launch control...should get a GT-R with those mods down into the low 10's.

Tom

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.