Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Like a BOSS
645 Posts
My old 1992 Mustang coupe with a 600ci. alumumin big block with 2 stages of Nitrous had a powerglide. It's probably the most durable transmission in drag racing. I understand why they did it, but it just don't seem right in a skyline.

·
THAT GUY
4,774 Posts
My old 1992 Mustang coupe with a 600ci. alumumin big block with 2 stages of Nitrous had a powerglide. It's probably the most durable transmission in drag racing. I understand why they did it, but it just don't seem right in a skyline.
Nice Mike,you can run a powerglide in a lite car,but agree it doesn't seem rite in a Skyline

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Opps replied to a different thread.

I think this car would destroy a Getrag. We broke a couple when we were road racing them in World Challenge.

I can't think it would work out ok.
So what would you recommend instead of the Getrag?

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
King a hallinger transmission would be better for a street car but it's $13,000 or more.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
King a hallinger transmission would be better for a street car but it's $13,000 or more.
I have written a lot about Nissan Skyline GT-R gearboxes. I have used a lot of combos, gearsets, drivers, etc over the last 12 years. You can make things survive better, or longer, but it depends on the driver and the car.

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2008/06/broken-3rd-gear-nissan-skyline-gt-r.html

Holinger sequential is a good box, but its not that streetable. The OS88 I haven't had much personal experience with, but my friend that worked on the R34 team with me, had experience with both boxes and says the OS88 is much smoother. When we purchased the Holinger used, we paid $12k for it in 2006. Since then the US dollar has got so weak against the Aussie dollar that its about $18k new.

What do you want to do, go fast in a straight line, or shift gears?

At one point, you break anything, so they all need to be maintained. We broke shifting balks in the Getrag, not the hard parts. Rounded some dogs in the Holinger a couple times. Broke 3rd and 4th in PPG gearsets.

http://www.gtrusablog.com/search?q=holinger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts