Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple days of looking around I heard that there was a gas station in Ottawa that sells 98 octane pump gas as well as 110 octane race gas (in 20L cans). As a result, I got really excited and had to go get some. I decided that i'd put 35$ worth of 98 octane in the car to see if I could tell a difference from the 94 octane that I filled up with previously from Petro-Canada.

I went there this afternoon and to my surprise there was one dedicated pump that only pumped out the 98, so I put about 35$ in to see if I could tell a difference. I drove the car for 5 mins to find a bit of open road and then did some testing. I felt that the car definitely pulls a fair bit harder between 3500 and 6500 rpm. I'm not sure if its just in my head but I could definitely feel a difference.

I was wondering if any of you have ever filled up with 98 octane for spirited city driving or is it just a waste as it does cost 2.90$/L which works out to about 11 bucks a gallon for all my friends in the states
. Honestly, I think thats a bit too expensive but i'd like to know what you guys think -- is it worth the extra cost?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spent hours trying to find a location which sold it! But its super super expensive. 11 bucks a gallon is insane!

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts
The 98 probably isn't leaded, while the 110 probably is. Don't use LEADED fuel in your car. It tends to foul your spark-plugs. It might be worthwhile to ask about this (leaded or un-leaded) at the gas station...

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts
Unless your car was literally running on fumes...if you just put 3 gallons of 98 in your tank, on top of whatever was in there already, you didn't achieve much of a test. I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but I think any "seat-of-the-pants" testing results were placebo effect.

Alexd

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the 98 is unleaded, i asked them. Didn't ask about the 110 as I didnt buy any this time. But I will if/when I buy some.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless your car was literally running on fumes...if you just put 3 gallons of 98 in your tank,on top of whatever was in there already, you didn't achieve much of a test. I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but I think any "seat-of-the-pants" testing results were placebo effect.

Alexd
I got it down to the point where the estimated range was 8 miles.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless your car was literally running on fumes...if you just put 3 gallons of 98 in your tank, on top of whatever was in there already, you didn't achieve much of a test. I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but I think any "seat-of-the-pants" testing results were placebo effect.

Alexd
+ im kinda happy you said it cuz it may stop me from spending 11 bucks per gallon lol

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts
I got it down to the point where the estimated range was 8 miles.
OK...then you're smart, and the test made more sense.

Alexd

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just found 100 oct at the pump in socal. I mixed it to get 94, since our norml pump is 91 here.

You likely had a power decrease due to slower flame propagation, unless you were knocking to the point of where the ecu was pulling timing with the other fuel. Assuming you are talking r+m/2 octane and not RON octane...

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah it was a little frightening to see this so i was going up and down on the road lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just found 100 oct at the pump in socal. I mixed it to get 94, since our norml pump is 91 here.

You likely had a power decrease due to slower flame propagation, unless you were knocking to the point of where the ecu was pulling timing with the other fuel. Assuming you are talking r+m/2 octane and not RON octane...
Do you think the ecu already learnt the fuel type as the 94 from petro can was my first fill up.

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts

I know what you're saying...but I doubt that (decrease).

It is known with dynos that 93 can show a small HP increase over 91 for instance, and so on. The dynamic ECU adjusts for greater timing (to a point) when higher octane is being burned. It could further be argued that the higher octane gas probably decreases the AF ratio slightly, which in turn probably (slightly) adds power in a stock tuned engine.

Alexd

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts
Do you think the ecu already learnt the fuel type as the 94 from petro can was my first fill up.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...but I don't think the ECU stores info like that; instead reacting moment to moment with what it "senses" (with acceptable micro-knock).

Alexd

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong...but I don't think the ECU stores info like that; instead reacting moment to moment with what it "senses" (with acceptable micro-knock).

Alexd
Ahh kk, i was under the impression it learnt the fuel type and then checked periodically for changes. But it makes more sense if its actively reacting

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts
E85 is where it's at
There's no doubt that you can tune for more power with E-85, compared to 100+ octane gasoline.

But, there are practical considerations; it's not for everyone:

1) Is it available and/or at a good price, where you live?

2) You will need an increase over stock with at least injectors and fuel pumps...and a tune for it.

3) There MAY be increased problems with starting in very cold weather.

4) Your gas station may advertise (on a label on the pump) that the E85 may be ranging between a lower limit of 70%. This isn't so good if you're "tuned to the teeth" for E85.

But again...more power...and probably cleaner/less smells (if you don't have cats). It's good to consider all aspects...

Alexd

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's no doubt that you can tune for more power with E-85, compared to 100+ octane gasoline.

But, there are practical considerations; it's not for everyone:

1) Is it available and/or at a good price, where you live?

2) You will need an increase over stock with at least injectors and fuel pumps...and a tune for it.

3) There MAY be increased problems with starting in very cold weather.

4) Your gas station may advertise (on a label on the pump) that the E85 may be ranging between a lower limit of 70%. This isn't so good if you're "tuned to the teeth" for E85.

But again...more power...and probably cleaner/less smells (if you don't have cats). It's good to consider all aspects...

Alexd
yeah, im planning on keeping it stock with the exception of the midpipe i bought for a while at least.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.