Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering a GTR even with fully built engine, tranny, clutch (750+ whp) would still have chance to get bell housing issue?
Any full built GTRs had bell housing issue before?
If so, how bad is the probability of occurrence?
Where do you take to fix the issue?
Will Nissan dealer cover the issue for built GTRs?
How much is it cost to replace the bell housing?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
The bell housings are a factory defect and can occur on any gtr. during your build, your builder should verify that yours is in good condition.

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
I'm wondering a GTR even with fully built engine, tranny, clutch (750+ whp) would still have chance to get bell housing issue?
Any full built GTRs had bell housing issue before?
If so, how bad is the probability of occurrence?
Where do you take to fix the issue?
Will Nissan dealer cover the issue for built GTRs?
How much is it cost to replace the bell housing?
Even the revised bell housings will go bad. it's not a matter of if but when. It's so commonplace that we usually keep 1-2 in stock.

Eric

·
Vendor
1,540 Posts
As others have said, it will go bad no matter what. Building your GT-R has no relevance to the bell housing going out. Depending on the build, there is still a chance Nissan will cover it under warranty. We have seen a handful of our customers built GT-R's still covered under Nissan warranty for the bell housing.

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
Is this limited to year model ? pre-2012's ?

·
Registered
608 Posts
There is a post on here where a builder modified the bellhousing so that it was much stronger than normal.

·
Vendor
1,540 Posts
its a good news to have Nissan replaces bell housing for free for built gtrs
It's not guaranteed. We have seen some warrantied and some denied.

·
SPI Performance Consultant
2,997 Posts
I second the above, we've had them covered and some denied under warranty, and even some that have send the parts to us because they didn't wish to disturb our work at the dealership. No matter what, get it taken care of.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have a small rattle noise from the front of my car lately. the car drives perfectly fine though, I dont see anything strange about it.

how can I know if the bell housing is damaged? if I take it to Nissan, will they figure out?

also, if they deny warranty, anybody know roughly how much it would cost to get a new one?

·
WHITE NINJA
4,183 Posts
I have a small rattle noise from the front of my car lately. the car drives perfectly fine though, I dont see anything strange about it.

how can I know if the bell housing is damaged? if I take it to Nissan, will they figure out?

also, if they deny warranty, anybody know roughly how much it would cost to get a new one?
ready to bet its the bell housing

·
Alpha 10
3,763 Posts
Speaking of this topic. I happened to be on this boat currently.

Topspeed is currently taking care of this situation as they are the ones who built my car.

I brought it down about 2 weeks ago, Topspeed notified me last week that Nissan has approved my warranty for the claim of the bellhousing issue and for the dealership to work on the car, but I was notified yesterday that supposedly the dealership that Topspeed works with on a normal basis does not want to work on my car with built turbos etc...But they are still covering the parts that are needed for the bellhousing, so Topspeed will be working on the bellhousing so the labor costs is coming out of my pocket.

I will keep you updated on the situation.

James

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
My bell housing was replaced by Middlehurst Motors 1 month ago under warranty ( did a fantastic job too ) Today I had 60 mm turbo inlets fitted by Seven Valley Motorsport ( of The Hulk fame ) here in the UK. SVM said there's movement on your bell housing bearing already !

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
Is this a pre-2012 issue only ?

Sent using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Is the bell housing considered part of the power train (ie 60 mo) or 36 mo warranty ?

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app

·
LiMiTLeSs
3,220 Posts
Is this a pre-2012 issue only ?

From what I have read even 2012 plus GTR have this issue. There was a guy that picked up a 2013 and had the issue but it was fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Is the bell housing considered part of the power train (ie 60 mo) or 36 mo warranty ?

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app
It's part of the powertrain. I just had mine replaced back in April (I have an '09)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speaking of this topic. I happened to be on this boat currently.

Topspeed is currently taking care of this situation as they are the ones who built my car.

I brought it down about 2 weeks ago, Topspeed notified me last week that Nissan has approved my warranty for the claim of the bellhousing issue and for the dealership to work on the car, but I was notified yesterday that supposedly the dealership that Topspeed works with on a normal basis does not want to work on my car with built turbos etc...But they are still covering the parts that are needed for the bellhousing, so Topspeed will be working on the bellhousing so the labor costs is coming out of my pocket.

I will keep you updated on the situation.

James
This is still a good news. at least you don't need to pay for the parts itself

·
Tokyo Nightmare
1,773 Posts
Pretty cool dealership if you ask me! It's great that Topspeed has a working relationship with them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts