Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if any other owners have experienced this. I have a 2015 Premium and I have noticed if using the A/C with the air recirculating button on it will switch off by itself after 20-30 minutes or so to the outside air mode. It's really annoying as I always know when it happens as I suddenly start smelling stinky or exhaust fume outside air all of a sudden and I have to turn the recirculating air button back on again.

Has anyone else noticed this happening? I'm just curious as I've never had this issue with a car A/C. Normally, if I use the recirculating air feature it stays engaged until I decide to switch it to outside air. Is this just how Nissan programmed this A/C unit or is something wrong? Thanks.

·
Pumps one and two, hit 'em!
321 Posts
If you hold the button down for 2 seconds, you set the A/C to control it automatically. Pg 160 of the Multi-Function Display man.

If you switch the mode to defrost or defrost+footwell, it will disable it.

On some vehicles, Jaguars I know for a fact holding it down until it beeps (2~3 seconds) will force it to stay on.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you hold the button down for 2 seconds, you set the A/C to control it automatically. Pg 160 of the Multi-Function Display man.

If you switch the mode to defrost or defrost+footwell, it will disable it.
Thanks for the response on this! I guess I should have just looked in the manual from the beginning!
I will test this out the next time I go for a ride somewhere (which hopefully will be within the next few hours!). Hopefully this is all it is and not an actual problem. I don't ever remember holding the button down though. You would think even if I did unintentionally it would reset itself after turning the car off and starting it again. I guess not. We'll see how this goes.

·
321 Posts
No problem - I had 15 hours to kill on the flight back from Australia and read the man, MFD man, and quick reference to get it out of the way.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Nice find! GTR Marine, have you swapped your interior cabin filter out yet? Not sure how many miles you have but swapping mine made a world of difference. Loosely related, I suppose.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Nice find! GTR Marine, have you swapped your interior cabin filter out yet? Not sure how many miles you have but swapping mine made a world of difference. Loosely related, I suppose.
No that's a negative on the filter. I haven't racked up enough mileage/time yet. On a different note, the issue I was having hasn't resurfaced. I basically just took the advice of engaging the auto recirculating air mode and then disengaging it and it seemed to have worked. Hasn't switched on its own yet since.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just thought I should give an update on this issue. It turns out that the a/c switching by itself to outside air after extended periods of use is an actual feature of the unit and not a problem. It turns out my GT-R tech was able to get ahold of Nissan in Japan and apparently it does this occasionally after extended periods of use to prevent mold/mildew buildup inside the a/c. Just thought some of you would like to know if anyone experiences the same issue.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They didn't say. Considering how it has happened with me, anywhere between 30-60 minutes of non-stop use while in recirculating mode. Now that I understand why the a/c system does this I'm cool with it. One of my other cars has a horrible mildew musty smell sometimes having used the recirculating air mode over the years. I plan on getting a cleaning treatment done to get rid of the smell. It's cool the GT-R has a mechanism in place to prevent this from happening later down the road.

·
321 Posts
This is awesome, as long as those filters work very well.

My commute is along Highway 101 along the coast. Real first world problems here.

I despise the stanky ocean standing water smell and especially campers burning anything and everything they can from beachside camp sites.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.