Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought about shipping it home, but I want to see the car in person and I want to get used to her driving home and enjoy the 1000hp driving home.

For those of you that have done this, what would you have done differently?

I can either take the girlfriend or one of my buddies. Any ideas? Thoughts?

·
Registered
823 Posts
I drove my GTR home from Scottsdale, AZ to the Bay Area, CA...would not have done it any other way. I guess it really depends on the distance and how long you have. I basically did the drive in one shot which took about 10 hours, and I loved every minute of it.

I thought about taking a buddy or the wife...but honestly I enjoyed my time with the car alone.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's about a 2k mile drive and yes, back to MD from the midwest.

I definitely want to take someone else and not do that drive alone ... I could even take my dad which might be cool father/son bonding time? He's old enough to be retired but not old enough to press the wrong pedal and kill us :D . Maybe that is my better choice?

·
Registered
904 Posts
That will be a great drive. In my experience with cross-country drives the only concern is paint/glass/lights damage to cars that lack paint protection film.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
once in a lifetime, so do it. I drove from south carolina to connecticut for my CTSV way back in 2010 and it was by far the fastest car I ever owned and it was scary at first but I really got to learn the car and get comfortable with it. Go for it!!! just bring blue painters tape to make sure the front doesnt get all chipped up and make sure you have triple A

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah unless the car comes with a clearbra on it.

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
Drove from New Orleans back to NY and would do it again in a heart beat.

Definitely tape up the front and bring whomever your comfortable with.

Depending on the year, bring a compatible iPod so you can jam the whole way.

Enjoy and good luck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought they all had Ipod interfaces, it is a 2012?

Drove from New Orleans back to NY and would do it again in a heart beat.

Definitely tape up the front and bring whomever your comfortable with.

Depending on the year, bring a compatible iPod so you can jam the whole way.

Enjoy and good luck.

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
You won't have to worry in a DBA. Some CBAs will only charge/play certain iPod/phones.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I drove from Florida to Oregon during dead winter. I would never attempt that again...

I was driving my wifes car and it had so many problems on the way I was tempted to ditch it in the middle of the highway. Lesson learned, keep enough spare time just in case you break down.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Geez, that's got to be 3500 miles!

Was it a GTR? What happened?

I have plenty of time, I'll take off more days from work if need be, that's no big deal

I drove from Florida to Oregon during dead winter. I would never attempt that again...

I was driving my wifes car and it had so many problems on the way I was tempted to ditch it in the middle of the highway. Lesson learned, keep enough spare time just in case you break down.

·
Registered
706 Posts
used 1000hp car? TBH I'd be a little scared to drive it that far without my trusted mechanic or GTR pro shop taking a look at the car first. Even if you buy it used from a dealer, theres always a chance of unexpect problem to occur.

I bought mine new from a dealership in Georgia. Had it shipped to my door. The experience is still great, felt like I was 18 again getting my first car when that trailer opened.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hopefully I don't regret it and have the issues you are referring to

used 1000hp car? TBH I'd be a little scared to drive it that far without my trusted mechanic or GTR pro shop taking a look at the car first. Even if you buy it used from a dealer, theres always a chance of unexpect problem to occur.

I bought mine new from a dealership in Georgia. Had it shipped to my door. The experience is still great, felt like I was 18 again getting my first car when that trailer opened.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Considering the fact it is a 1000 HP car, I would not chance a 2000 mile drive. As some of the other guys already mentioned the paint and glass will take a beating.

I picked up a car in Columbus Ohio and drove it back home to Toronto, Canada about 10 years ago And would never do it again.

Unless you have a truck and trailer to haul it back.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just got mine a month ago and drove from north Carolina to wisconsin. Only bad thing was the highways of indiana. Had so much construction and high ways roads were crappy. It was a long trip through indiana. Also keep an eye on severe weather. Got caught in a pretty bad storm and started hailing. Luckily no damage to the car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.