Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, got an interesting one here. I searched all over, but haven't been able to find a topic on this...

I was sitting in the drive-thru the other day, windows down and AC off as the weather was beautiful. As I was waiting in line and the vehicle was not moving, all of a sudden I heard this metallic grinding sound. No warning lights, no abnormal temps or pressures on the gauges. Car still ran fine, just this awful noise.

The noise was coming from the front of the car, so for some reason I turned the AC on to see what would happen. Once I did, the noise stopped and the AC started blowing cold. As soon as I turn the AC off, the noise starts again.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the AC Clutch on the pulley?

Has anyone experienced this? Also, can I replace just the AC Clutch if needed, or would I need to replace the whole pulley?

Thanks, as always in advance for your feedback!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Maybe this is too simple but it’s also cheap, I would first check to see the belt is hitting all the pulleys correctly. If it isn’t, correct it. If it is, replace it. Costs nothing and may solve the issue.
Again, very simple, but my thought process is that maybe it’s barely too stretched and when the AC pulley starts up it catches that slack 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe this is too simple but it’s also cheap, I would first check to see the belt is hitting all the pulleys correctly. If it isn’t, correct it. If it is, replace it. Costs nothing and may solve the issue.
Again, very simple, but my thought process is that maybe it’s barely too stretched and when the AC pulley starts up it catches that slack 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for the feedback. I actually replaced the belt about 3 months ago, and that was the first thing I checked when I got home that day. Belt is tight, and feeding correctly. Also, does it really lose that much slack when the AC is turned off?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wouldn’t think so but it’s a cheap/easy fix before diving deeper.
Try having someone in the car and you in the engine bay to replicate the issue. AC on and off, throttle, no throttle, in drive and in park.
I recently moved my Audi after it sat the afternoon and it felt like there were no engine mounts while only going from the road to my driveway (about 10’). Turns out a local critter thought it made a nice place to relax for the day. Audi is perfectly fine. But I did immediately think the worse!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts