Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to only having crappy 91 octane where I live with no ethanol content it was suggested that I look into methanol or ethanol to mix in with my fuel. I'm not looking to get an injection kit as I don't want to deal with that.

Is it possible to just purchase methanol/ethanol, figure out a proper mixture ratio and just pour it in the tank? I assume to be safe I would need to look into getting a flex fuel kit for self adjustment depending on the mixture?

This is all new to me so don't make fun too bad if I'm way off in my thinking...

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Due to only having crappy 91 octane where I live with no ethanol content it was suggested that I look into methanol or ethanol to mix in with my fuel. I'm not looking to get an injection kit as I don't want to deal with that.

Is it possible to just purchase methanol/ethanol, figure out a proper mixture ratio and just pour it in the tank? I assume to be safe I would need to look into getting a flex fuel kit for self adjustment depending on the mixture?

This is all new to me so don't make fun too bad if I'm way off in my thinking...
Nope you arent off at all. We supplemented with ethanol for quite a while before e85 became available.

We used ethanol and not methanol. Methanol premixed in fuel is not as desirable as ethanol.

We used a jug of Bioflame you can buy at Canadian Tire. It's pure denatured ethanol with a tiny bit of isopropyl as a stabilizer.

Any ethanol you can find is okay as long as it's anhydrous and doesn't have any weird denaturants

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope you arent off at all. We supplemented with ethanol for quite a while before e85 became available.

We used ethanol and not methanol. Methanol premixed in fuel is not as desirable as ethanol.

We used a jug of Bioflame you can buy at Canadian Tire. It's pure denatured ethanol with a tiny bit of isopropyl as a stabilizer.

Any ethanol you can find is okay as long as it's anhydrous and doesn't have any weird denaturants
Thank you very much!! Good old crappy tire lol.

Do you still have any mixing ratio's? Did you have a flex fuel kit or just mix it the same everytime? As long as it's mixed properly is there any downsides to this? I believe my fuel pumps are E85 capable but I will double check that...

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Thank you very much!! Good old crappy tire lol.

Do you still have any mixing ratio's? Did you have a flex fuel kit or just mix it the same everytime? As long as it's mixed properly is there any downsides to this? I believe my fuel pumps are E85 capable but I will double check that...
We would empty one whole jug into a full tank. Always add it after you put fuel in (I know it's tough to know when to stop putting in the premium but when the light comes on just put in 55litres and then at the end put in the jug of ethanol)

If you are really conscientious then you can shake it in a big Jerry can with premium first before pouring it in the tank. Helps with the mixing. It does mix in the tank but if you do just leave the car in the on position after a fill up without turning the car on to let the fuel mix.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We would empty one whole jug into a full tank. Always add it after you put fuel in (I know it's tough to know when to stop putting in the premium but when the light comes on just put in 55litres and then at the end put in the jug of ethanol)

If you are really conscientious then you can shake it in a big Jerry can with premium first before pouring it in the tank. Helps with the mixing. It does mix in the tank but if you do just leave the car in the on position after a fill up without turning the car on to let the fuel mix.
I'm glad I asked, I probably would have added the ethanol half way through pumping thinking the rest of the fuel being pumped in would mix it through.

Did you bother with a flex fuel kit?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I'm glad I asked, I probably would have added the ethanol half way through pumping thinking the rest of the fuel being pumped in would mix it through.

Did you bother with a flex fuel kit?
Yes that mixing technique works too.

We did not have flex fuel kits in the beginning. Just pump gas tunes with the added ethanol. Eventually once the e85 was available we did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts