Nissan GT-R Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello everyone!

Okay, so I am very close to figuring out exactly what I want, but I need your unbiased and objective opinions about these two builds. My goal is to build a FUN street car that will be RELIABLE and SAFE, yet have enough power to keep you satisfied without the want/need to keep upgrading. I also don't want to worry about things breaking. Please, these are the only two options that I am considering and DO NOT want to put together my own build. I will be picking one of these two shops to do all of the work, and that will be it.

I am done playing musical cars and it is time to finally settle down with a garage queen that will be here to stay for the next 10+ years, literally will become my collector car like the Supra has become for others. I have a family, wife, two babies, and a brand new house. I love cars, but you've got to set a limit and stick with it. With that said, these are my driving habits:

1.) I only do roll racing events (1/4 mile roll event, 1/2 mile roll event, Texas Mile, spirited driving on private property, etc.)
2.) I MAY do one or two drag events a year.
3.) I will not do any type of road / circuit racing
4.) I will not be abusing launch control, or doing dig runs (unless I do the one or two drag events a year).
4.) This will be a garaged weekend car, taken out only during nice weather, and put up for the winter.

Pros of the JT700 package http://www.jackstran...r-jt700-package
1.) $23,000 and includes everything you need (upgraded short block and trans).
2.) I have 93 pump and E85, easily accessible to me here in Houston, Texas. So running flex fuel will be easy.
3.) 1 year warranty / 12k miles on their work and parts!

Cons of the JT700 package
1.) They are out of state, I would have to get the car shipped to them and shipper back. I have also read that cars get stored outside, and this car may be there for a month? Taking a risk with bad weather, etc.
2.) Should any issues arise, it will be quite the pain to get it shipped back. (Defeats the purpose of warranty?)

Pros of the BL 750X package - Price for package and install $22k http://www.boostlogi...r/750x-package/
1.) Awesome tuning and stated to be reliable on stock engine/trans
2.) They are some what local, only 2.5 hour drive to Austin, Texas.

Cons of the BL 750X
1.) Asked about warranty, and stated no warranty (but I give credit where it was stated they would see what the problem is and will work hard to make the customer happy).
2.) No built short block
3.) No built trans
4.) Can't run E85 on this set up with stock block/trans

Reason for comparing these two is because they are literally the same price (give or take) with all work done, installed and tuned. Any type of advice or experience in regards to these two set ups would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
Boost Logic as they are somewhat local to you. Cannot say enough about having the local support. You can also look to see if AMS has a local affiliated shop.

Any reason why you don't just go with an aggressive fbo E85 car since your not building the motor/trans? Some minor weight reduction and 9.9 @ 136-138mph is attainable and reliable.

I went A9 and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boost Logic as they are somewhat local to you. Cannot say enough about having the local support. You can also look to see if AMS has a local affiliated shop.

Any reason why you don't just go with an aggressive fbo E85 car since your not building the motor/trans? Some minor weight reduction and 9.9 @ 136-138mph is attainable and reliable.

I went A9 and couldn't be happier.
If I were to go with the JT700 that is considered having the motor and trans built / addressed?

·
Registered
943 Posts
To each their own but if you wont even launch or abuse the car much, id go with fbo E85 like droptop said. While I get you won't be launching the car i'm not sure why I would be buying a gtr if I wouldn't launch it. Just my opinion. I would get a viper for roll races instead of a gtr. More reliable at that power level and a fun car to cruise in.

·
Boost Junky
4,007 Posts
Here's my .02

I had the SAME EXACT questions you did and was at the same place in my mod path you are.

I was so damn impressed with Boost Logic I shipped my car 2000 miles to them to have the 750X package done. You are lucky you are local, would have saved me $2500

The car drives like stock.

Idles like stock.

Haven't had one problem in all my use and it acts like a bone stock car. The team over there is excellent for customer service, (Jason, Zohair, Roman).

If you want to build it down the road they can hook you up with that route as well as that should make mid 900whp on a built motor.

PM me if you want any other info but I was 100% happy with Boost Logic hands down.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's my .02

I had the SAME EXACT questions you did and was at the same place in my mod path you are.

I was so damn impressed with Boost Logic I shipped my car 2000 miles to them to have the 750X package done. You are lucky you are local, would have saved me $2500

The car drives like stock.

Idles like stock.

Haven't had one problem in all my use and it acts like a bone stock car. The team over there is excellent for customer service, (Jason, Zohair, Roman).

If you want to build it down the road they can hook you up with that route as well as that should make mid 900whp on a built motor.

PM me if you want any other info but I was 100% happy with Boost Logic hands down.

I appreciate your response, it is good to hear positive feedback which is what I am seeking between these two builds. Glad to hear about it being reliable so far. How long and how many miles on the build?

·
Boost Junky
4,007 Posts
I appreciate your response, it is good to hear positive feedback which is what I am seeking between these two builds. Glad to hear about it being reliable so far. How long and how many miles on the build?
It's been a year now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a 750x and have had absolutely 0 issues with it and it drives great. The guys at BL might not have a written warranty but they always take care of me no matter what. Anyone else who I know who had a build can say the same. Two of the biggest things in my opinion that would sway me from going with Jacks is that a) they don't have an in house tuner (etune or have to fly someone from across the country) and the recent posts with turbo failures, what good is a warranty if you have to constantly use it? I just really like the fact that BL stands behind all there products and have taken care of me from the start.

Give them a call anytime to get your build done.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a 750x and have had absolutely 0 issues with it and it drives great. The guys at BL might not have a written warranty but they always take care of me no matter what. Anyone else who I know who had a build can say the same. Two of the biggest things in my opinion that would sway me from going with Jacks is that a) they don't have an in house tuner (etune or have to fly someone from across the country) and the recent posts with turbo failures, what good is a warranty if you have to constantly use it? I just really like the fact that BL stands behind all there products and have taken care of me from the start.

Thank you for your thoughts, I greatly appreciate it! BL 750X looks damn impressive, which is why it is on the list =)
I did not know about Jacks having those issues but good to know.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have to agree with Ryan and Bix, I've been daily driving my BL750x for the past 8 months (~8k miles) and it has been like a stock car in terms of reliability and driveability. It really is an amazing package and BL definitely stands behind their work 100%. You would be hard pressed to find anyone that has a bad thing to say about them and to me that spoke volumes when I was making my decision. Most people would tell you that you'd be crazy not to take advantage of having one of the best shops in the business so close to you.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
I didn't know the JT has motor and trans built with 30r's? Not sure how it's only 700hp then ? Should be more like 800+. I'd confirm with Jack because what would be holding you back at that point ? Trans would be good for 800+/- tq.

I also think you need to set a goal. Trap speed, 60-130, 1/4 time, drive ability, etc.

That's what should drive your decision.

What's your timeline ? Isn't Jack not accepting any new work these days because he has 30+ GTRs backlogged ?

·
Registered
821 Posts

No a fair thing to say. I understand you are excited over your build, but it doesn't give you the right to hurt another business by stating things which are not correct.

The turbo issue in question had to do with turbos a customer wanted installed much to our disapproval. All we did was install the turbos. It's a much different deal when receiving a package deal from us where we include everything. If you get a package deal from us where we include all parts, we obviously warranty all of those parts.

Correct, we are currently NOT accepting new jobs at this time. Hope to in the near future.

Thanks!

Jack

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ooops. Double Post.

·
Registered
373 Posts
OP, certainly looks like you have done your homework!! The only shop I can comment on is Boost Logic. Honestly I couldn't think of a greater group of guys that are real enthusiasts. They will talk you through all the details and be straightforward, not to mention the work they do is impeccable. I swear my car came back cleaner than when it went there. My vote, based on my experience is BL. Feel free to PM me, text, email, call and I will try to help in whatever way I can.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OP, certainly looks like you have done your homework!! The only shop I can comment on is Boost Logic. Honestly I couldn't think of a greater group of guys that are real enthusiasts. They will talk you through all the details and be straightforward, not to mention the work they do is impeccable. I swear my car came back cleaner than when it went there. My vote, based on my experience is BL. Feel free to PM me, text, email, call and I will try to help in whatever way I can.

Regards,
Mike
I appreciate the response. Boost Logic seems like the logical (no pun intended) thing to do since they are literally in my back yard. You all have given food for thought and I appreciate it!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Local Houston BL owner. I have an early version "850 package" with stock motor and trans. Approaching 30k very happy miles. For a while I drove from Houston to BL for routine oil changes. Great team of pros.

Nothing against Jack's. I will probably send my trans there at some point. You will be happy with both options.

BL is so close and easy to visit...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Both companies are great. But for a $1000 difference you get a built short block and trans from jacks with 30r turbos. Come on, I can't see how just a bolt on package and tuning can compete no matter who is doing the work. Having the confidence that the engine isn't going to blow due to a bent rod is worth way more that $1000 to me. Get a similar quote from BL that includes the engine and trans work and then you will have an apples to apples comparison.

Jack has a great warranty to boot. What's a little shipping cost on top of the package from jacks. My choice is and would be Jacks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was not saying anything bad about Jacks.. Just what I have read... That is all. I think BL is great. Just wanted all to know whats been posted in the past.

·
The World Warrior
7,254 Posts
I was not saying anything bad about Jacks.. Just what I have read... That is all. I think BL is great. Just wanted all to know whats been posted in the past.
The fact is you were saying something. You said a lot in your last comment about Jack's.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.