Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy holidays to everyone. I have been doing a lot of reading on the board over the last few months and think I have found the GTR I am going to pull the trigger on. Just looking to see if long-time forum members think it's a reasonable deal. I think it might be a smidgen high, hence the post soliciting some advice from you all, but it has some extra options on it. Thanks!

2010 Super Silver
Paint matched lips
Clear 3M bra
GTR bag with car cover
Passport radar setup
Car has never been launched
8000 miles
Car is absolutely flawless
Dealer listing for 72k

Thoughts? Thanks!!!

·
Pew Pew
659 Posts
I picked up a 2010 SS, mint mint mint... 3400 Miles, Never Launched, One Owner for 67K at a nissan dealer.... This was two weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Happy holidays to everyone. I have been doing a lot of reading on the board over the last few months and think I have found the GTR I am going to pull the trigger on. Just looking to see if long-time forum members think it's a reasonable deal. I think it might be a smidgen high, hence the post soliciting some advice from you all, but it has some extra options on it. Thanks!

2010 Super Silver
Paint matched lips
Clear 3M bra
GTR bag with car cover
Passport radar setup
Car has never been launched
8000 miles
Car is absolutely flawless
Dealer listing for 72k

Thoughts? Thanks!!!
How do you know it has "Never Been Launched" , and what do you mean by that anyway ?? Does it matter ?

Anyhow, seems like a reasonable deal, and if the car is in really great condition and not abused, 68-70k seems about right. If you really like the car, and everything checks out just right, go for it. There will always be someone who paid a little less...

·
Pew Pew
659 Posts
How do you know it has "Never Been Launched" , and what do you mean by that anyway ?? Does it matter ?
The GTR has a "black box" which records if the cars been launched. You can request the data from any GTR certified nissan dealer. If the car is close to being out of warranty, it does matter. Its safe to assume that a GTR thats been constantly launched is more apt to have tranny problems as opposed to one thats never been launched. At a 12-13K tranny price + labor... i would think it does matter.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
The GTR has a "black box" which records if the cars been launched. You can request the data from any GTR certified nissan dealer. If the car is close to being out of warranty, it does matter. Its safe to assume that a GTR thats been constantly launched is more apt to have tranny problems as opposed to one thats never been launched. At a 12-13K tranny price + labor... i would think it does matter.
Well, yes and no. It is debatable what is recorded. Such as, it does not seem to record any VDC on launches, so is that a launch? Say, RRR, foot on brake, floor it, revs to 3k, let go of brake. Does it record that? Consensus is NO. And it shouldn't as that does nothing harsh to the car, and that is doing exactly what the LC2 is designed for. Do you call that a launch?

If you hit VDC off by accident as you are driving down the street and hit the VDC button down by accident when trying to put the suspension in comfort mode. Then you realize it, and say to yourself "Oh Sh*@t, I just voided my warranty !!" Does that count? I don't believe so. Crazy insane if it does.

How about if you turn VDC off, hold the brake, floor it, revs to 3300, let go of brake, no spin at all and launches smoothly and easily. Does that count? Is it logged ? That I do not know.

If you turn VDC off, double pump the brake, launch at 5krpm, spin and hop half way down the track, clutch overheat cel pops up and limps you. That I am sure is logged.

As you can see, it's not that simple. Any of the above cases except for the last one, really are meaningless. You should pay more attention to maximum oil and tranny temps achieved, and frequency of high temps, which are logged, and indicate heavy track use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should pay more attention to maximum oil and tranny temps achieved, and frequency of high temps, which are logged, and indicate heavy track use.
I'm just going by what the dealer said by them checking the data logger. Fluid temps, per the dealer also, have never been above the 3rd level (hope that means more to others, out of 5 isn't it?) My point was that is sounds like the car has never been driven too hard.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I'm just going by what the dealer said by them checking the data logger. Fluid temps, per the dealer also, have never been above the 3rd level (hope that means more to others, out of 5 isn't it?) My point was that is sounds like the car has never been driven too hard.
I understand. Sounds pretty good to me.

I was only explaining the whole " never launched" verbiage , since a lot of people state it, but don't really know much about it. "Never abused" is a more appropriate/important term and I am likely just being picky about the wording.

Another thing to look at, is how the tires are worn. A heavily tracked car will show unusual tire wear if the tires on the car were used at the track. You can also look at the lug nuts, and see if the wheels were taken off/on multiple times. I would also look at the jack points, and see if it looks like it has been jacked up/lifted frequently. Then you can check out the front grill/bumper area to see if there are a shitload of pock marks. All those things add up.

But, if the temps have never been above the 3rd level, that right there is a really good indicator of no heavy track use. If the dealer says no launches, then that likely means no VDC OFF spin/hop scenario.

Seems like a good car. I say go get it !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts