Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new to the forum, and I've been looking for GT-Rs for quite some time. I'm only 16 and I own a modified Genesis coupe 2.0t that I bought by myself by saving for a couple years and I'm only 16 and a junior in highschool. I plan on buying a used GT-R when I turn 18 senior year for $65k or less. I'm going to save up 15k and sell my Genesis for about $20k and put down $35k down for a down payment and finance the rest. Also don't tell me this is a dumb idea to spend money because my dad who is a doctor has 100k put away for me for college and if I get a scholarship he will give me that cash. I have above a 4.0 and the best track jumper in my league. So I will invest that 100k into a house to rent out and use the payments to pay for my finance and insurance. My question is what year is GT-R to buy and why? And any other advice you have for me would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Welcome,

Funny how we get quite a few interested 16 to 18 year olds on this forum.

First, read this-
http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/60900-the-official-gt-r-faq/

You can search for opinions and browse through the forums on "Buying a GTR" and "R35 GTR".

Where do you live?

What kind of jobs do you have?

How wide will you extend your search radius? Willing to ship the car across country?

Are there any cars and coffee or other car meet ups where GTR owners in your area frequent? Any GTR tuner shops in your area? GTR owners and shops are great resources for you, ask questions, see what people are doing to their GTRs and what works and what doesn't. When you see parts going on and coming off every few months on a GTR you will find a good source of used bolt on mods. Tuner shops may have take off parts at a good price. Doesn't make sense to get mods new if you can get mildly used mods for a reasonable price.

Where are you thinking of going to school?

Keep your driving record clean, you'll need it clean to insure a GTR. If you drive the GTR to college that may affect your insurance rates, I'd advise against doing that at least the first year.

How are you with your driving skill? Been to any go kart tracks? if not, try it out. There are also some great teen driving schools like-
http://evoschool.com/schools
They are held all over the country and you can use any car you drive.

Good luck with your schooling and goals.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I can't take this post seriously. I hope this isn't what I sounded like on bimmerpost and evom when I had a m3 and Evo 9 at 16. If so I'm going to apologize to them, but at least I owned the cars when I made a thread and not a thread 2 years before buying the car.

·
RED MONSTER
1,796 Posts
I can't take this post seriously. I hope this isn't what I sounded like on bimmerpost and evom when I had a m3 and Evo 9 at 16. If so I'm going to apologize to them, but at least I owned the cars when I made a thread and not a thread 2 years before buying the car.
But OP bought his cars dude, 'spect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome,

Funny how we get quite a few interested 16 to 18 year olds on this forum.

First, read this-
http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/60900-the-official-gt-r-faq/

You can search for opinions and browse through the forums on "Buying a GTR" and "R35 GTR".

Where do you live?

What kind of jobs do you have?

How wide will you extend your search radius? Willing to ship the car across country?

Are there any cars and coffee or other car meet ups where GTR owners in your area frequent? Any GTR tuner shops in your area? GTR owners and shops are great resources for you, ask questions, see what people are doing to their GTRs and what works and what doesn't. When you see parts going on and coming off every few months on a GTR you will find a good source of used bolt on mods. Tuner shops may have take off parts at a good price. Doesn't make sense to get mods new if you can get mildly used mods for a reasonable price.

Where are you thinking of going to school?

Keep your driving record clean, you'll need it clean to insure a GTR. If you drive the GTR to college that may affect your insurance rates, I'd advise against doing that at least the first year.

How are you with your driving skill? Been to any go kart tracks? if not, try it out. There are also some great teen driving schools like-
http://evoschool.com/schools
They are held all over the country and you can use any car you drive.

Good luck with your schooling and goals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks AutoXGTR, I'm located in Menifee, Ca and I know a couple guys with GT-Rs locally. I work as a scribe for my dad group "Rancho Family Medical group" , I flip cars, and also work at my dads Jamba Juice. I wouldn't want to go farther then my bordering states to buy one. I'm not looking to mod besides exhaust just yet because I'm sure that will be enough power for me. I'm hoping to get into UCLA if not then ASU. I'm pretty confident in my driving mob canyons all the time with my crew IG @creativeculturecars. It would be my DD also. Thanks for the information.
@Flash this is not a troll or anything I'am completely serious about buying a GT-R so advice would be welcomed. Thanks

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Thanks AutoXGTR, I'm located in Menifee, Ca and I know a couple guys with GT-Rs locally. I work as a scribe for my dad group "Rancho Family Medical group" , I flip cars, and also work at my dads Jamba Juice. I wouldn't want to go farther then my bordering states to buy one. I'm not looking to mod besides exhaust just yet because I'm sure that will be enough power for me. I'm hoping to get into UCLA if not then ASU. I'm pretty confident in my driving mob canyons all the time with my crew IG @creativeculturecars. It would be my DD also. Thanks for the information.
@Flash this is not a troll or anything I'am completely serious about buying a GT-R so advice would be welcomed. Thanks
OK, thanks for the reply.

Ok on your work, flipping cars is not a bad business if you know how to find a bargain, and how to cosmetically detail a car (assuming there is no large mechanical problem/issue). Many sellers are looking for a fast sale and don't bother to clean up things before they sell. I'm the exact opposite, no matter how old the car I sell I want it to look spotless when I sell.

For the GTR, you won't be lacking for power but you can easily make more of it when you are ready. How much power can you use for street driving? Exhaust mods are for looks and sound with a minor decrease in weight from cat back exhaust or midpipe replacement. A good source for used GTR exhausts are other GTR owners looking for the perfect exhaust. It's pretty common to get a good exhaust at a reasonable price. GTR tuner shops have used GTR exhausts from time to time.

UCLA is a good school, I lived in the LA area for 3 years and considered settling in Temecula many years ago before it got all built up. But my family was in Hawaii so I returned home.

When driving at speed just be cautious enough and alert for trouble. The more power you have, the quicker you can get into trouble that you can't recover from. Some things you cannot control (especially on public roads) and your safety is the most important thing whenever you get into a car. Fortunately the GTR is a very stable car and very predictable, it's easy enough to drive but be careful with the power.

The GTR as a DD is made better by using non runflat tires, a common choice is Michelin Pilot Super Sport in 285/35-20 front and rear on OEM wheels. More comfort with good grip in dry or wet and costs less than OEM runflats which are stiff riding.

Have you gone out for a ride in a GTR yet?

·
Banned
736 Posts
Hey, I'm new to the forum, and I've been looking for GT-Rs for quite some time. I'm only 16 and I own a modified Genesis coupe 2.0t that I bought by myself by saving for a couple years and I'm only 16 and a junior in highschool. I plan on buying a used GT-R when I turn 18 senior year for $65k or less. I'm going to save up 15k and sell my Genesis for about $20k and put down $35k down for a down payment and finance the rest. Also don't tell me this is a dumb idea to spend money because my dad who is a doctor has 100k put away for me for college and if I get a scholarship he will give me that cash. I have above a 4.0 and the best track jumper in my league. So I will invest that 100k into a house to rent out and use the payments to pay for my finance and insurance. My question is what year is GT-R to buy and why? And any other advice you have for me would be great! Thanks
In all seriousness, how do you have a 4.0 GPA but grasp the English language with a 5th grade proficiency? This has got to be a joke. If not then I am very disappointed in our education system.

In relation to your question, try the FAQ section and learn as much as you can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, thanks for the reply.

Ok on your work, flipping cars is not a bad business if you know how to find a bargain, and how to cosmetically detail a car (assuming there is no large mechanical problem/issue). Many sellers are looking for a fast sale and don't bother to clean up things before they sell. I'm the exact opposite, no matter how old the car I sell I want it to look spotless when I sell.

For the GTR, you won't be lacking for power but you can easily make more of it when you are ready. How much power can you use for street driving? Exhaust mods are for looks and sound with a minor decrease in weight from cat back exhaust or midpipe replacement. A good source for used GTR exhausts are other GTR owners looking for the perfect exhaust. It's pretty common to get a good exhaust at a reasonable price. GTR tuner shops have used GTR exhausts from time to time.

UCLA is a good school, I lived in the LA area for 3 years and considered settling in Temecula many years ago before it got all built up. But my family was in Hawaii so I returned home.

When driving at speed just be cautious enough and alert for trouble. The more power you have, the quicker you can get into trouble that you can't recover from. Some things you cannot control (especially on public roads) and your safety is the most important thing whenever you get into a car. Fortunately the GTR is a very stable car and very predictable, it's easy enough to drive but be careful with the power.

The GTR as a DD is made better by using non runflat tires, a common choice is Michelin Pilot Super Sport in 285/35-20 front and rear on OEM wheels. More comfort with good grip in dry or wet and costs less than OEM runflats which are stiff riding.

Have you gone out for a ride in a GTR yet?
Thanks for all the information, I will be sure to keep it in mind. I have not ridden in one yet but on Nov. 1st I'm hosting a exotic car cruise (More info on IG @creativeculturecars) and many GT-Rs are coming and said they would give me a ride inside theirs. My best friend has a C7 Stingray and it puts me back in the seat when he downshifts so I couldn't imagine how the GT-R's downshift feels😁.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In all seriousness, how do you have a 4.0 GPA but grasp the English language with a 5th grade proficiency? This has got to be a joke. If not then I am very disappointed in our education system.

In relation to your question, try the FAQ section and learn as much as you can.
I'm sorry I didn't know this forum had an English teacher and I had to type proper. But It's hard to type on the phone that I'm using. Don't be diasspointed in the system because I will get into a good college and be successful no matter how I type online. But thanks for the information. If you don't believe me check out my insta @_kingraw_

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
OK, I looked you up, nice blue genesis. How much HP does it have?

What do you think you might study at UCLA? You seem well suited to business or maybe marketing.

I figured you might be using a phone to reply.

So what do you think of the C7? The C7 Z06 is coming out in 2015.

·
RED MONSTER
1,796 Posts
The thing about some 16 year old is that they're exceptionally good at the internet, you want sources for a picture or video and they're on it like hounds...it's a good thing :)

OP, i also have trouble typing on my phone sometimes and when limited by time I just go ahead with whatever the phone predicts and hope that the other gets the idea.

As for your original question, there is no better deal than getting a pre-loved GT-R from 2008 to 2012 (2013 or 2014 may be beyond your budget). Most have been well taken care of (at least those that belong to the long termers here) and their prices are well suited for those getting into the game. This means that you probably won't have to do any kind of mods since most of them would have been done for you, alternatively you can ask to remove the mods and get a better deal.

Your main concerns would be daily/annual costs (from cheapest to most expensive - petrol, oil change, transmission oil change, insurance, tires). Sooner or later you might also get the wheels bug so put aside 3000-7000 bucks for that, of course you don't need to spend extra money on those because the original GT-R wheels are pretty good already.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I looked you up, nice blue genesis. How much HP does it have?

What do you think you might study at UCLA? You seem well suited to business or maybe marketing.

I figured you might be using a phone to reply.

So what do you think of the C7? The C7 Z06 is coming out in 2015.
Thank you and right now I would say close to 300bhp, haven't dynoed it but I have a couple bolt ons and a tune. I can pull on 350z's.
Funny that you say that I was thinking of going into buisness even though my dad wants to be a doc like him, but I feel like I would succees in buisness due to my background so far.
I love the Stingray the look and power but it also will always be a corvette which is an old man car to me. :( . I wouldn't mind getting one though if I could get a good deal on one but I'm really set on getting the GT-R.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The thing about some 16 year old is that they're exceptionally good at the internet, you want sources for a picture or video and they're on it like hounds...it's a good thing :)

OP, i also have trouble typing on my phone sometimes and when limited by time I just go ahead with whatever the phone predicts and hope that the other gets the idea.

As for your original question, there is no better deal than getting a pre-loved GT-R from 2008 to 2012 (2013 or 2014 may be beyond your budget). Most have been well taken care of (at least those that belong to the long termers here) and their prices are well suited for those getting into the game. This means that you probably won't have to do any kind of mods since most of them would have been done for you, alternatively you can ask to remove the mods and get a better deal.

Your main concerns would be daily/annual costs (from cheapest to most expensive - petrol, oil change, transmission oil change, insurance, tires). Sooner or later you might also get the wheels bug so put aside 3000-7000 bucks for that, of course you don't need to spend extra money on those because the original GT-R wheels are pretty good already.
Yeah I understand what you're saying but don't worry I'm legit! I also don't use auto-correct because it messes up what I like to say a lot. But thank you for all the information, also getting an older model, would I have to really worry about transmission and launch control problems like some people say or should I be fine if I buy a taken care of 2009/10 GT-R? I would definetly get some wheels once I'm in college and have some more money from my investments but I plan on owning the car for the last 3 months of my senior year so I don't want to be too flashy at first besides sound. Also, I would like to get a color change , do you guys advise a wrap or a paint job?

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Wrap is a good way to go, more choices of colors and finishes and doesn't have to be permanent.

Once purchased, insurance and tires will be the most costly by far. Expect about 17-20 mpg.

If you get a used 2009 GTR (most commonly available) with low miles, it will be the best value. Recent launch control software will keep the relative risk for damage to the transmission low. Early model year GTRs bought after Jan 2009 will have LC2 installed, those before that date may have LC1 (which allows higher rpm on launch and more risk). You can check the GTR's black box for past history on launching and if temps have run higher than recommended, not a bad thing to check before you buy. If the GTR has less than 20,000 miles then the previous owner may have done the trans and diff fluid changes already, most owners do it at 18,000 or within the first three years. If it has not been done (usually the dealership can check records or a carfax may show servicing) then it may cost $1600, due to high cost of trans fluid (10 liters). Always check the tires before you buy, they are expensive and wear fast on the front inner treads.

Medical school is not for anyone that isn't inclined to spend many years in professional training. Educational costs can be very high. State schools have lower tuition which helps. Once finished with residency you can usually find a job easily or go into business for yourself. Depending on which field of medicine you can also join a group practice so that you don't have to be on call more than is needed. Some medical fields have tons of call and super long work hours: Orthopedics, cardiologists, Pediatricians, and younger doctors in solo practice just getting started/established. Some have more defined work hours with less call: Pathology, Ophthalmology, ENT, Radiology, ER, etc. What kind of field is your father in? Any other doctors in your family?

Business on the other hand doesn't have to take many years of schooling although knowing the nuts and bolts of running a business makes for sound decision making. If you are going into business for yourself you don't need an MBA for that but if you want to run a big business then an MBA from a name school can get you on the right track faster. You don't seem the corporate type, you're more of a free agent guy. The hot jobs now are in tech, software, new emerging fields, etc. The reality is that the jobs that will be hot in 4 years when you get out of college are poorly defined right now and just beginning to materialize. Success can depend on being in the right place, knowing the right people, and being ready to move fast. If you do decide on business don't worry about striking it big early on. Things that fail are part of being a business man, keep at it and be ready for anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wrap is a good way to go, more choices of colors and finishes and doesn't have to be permanent.

Once purchased, insurance and tires will be the most costly by far. Expect about 17-20 mpg.

If you get a used 2009 GTR (most commonly available) with low miles, it will be the best value. Recent launch control software will keep the relative risk for damage to the transmission low. Early model year GTRs bought after Jan 2009 will have LC2 installed, those before that date may have LC1 (which allows higher rpm on launch and more risk). You can check the GTR's black box for past history on launching and if temps have run higher than recommended, not a bad thing to check before you buy. If the GTR has less than 20,000 miles then the previous owner may have done the trans and diff fluid changes already, most owners do it at 18,000 or within the first three years. If it has not been done (usually the dealership can check records or a carfax may show servicing) then it may cost $1600, due to high cost of trans fluid (10 liters). Always check the tires before you buy, they are expensive and wear fast on the front inner treads.

Medical school is not for anyone that isn't inclined to spend many years in professional training. Educational costs can be very high. State schools have lower tuition which helps. Once finished with residency you can usually find a job easily or go into business for yourself. Depending on which field of medicine you can also join a group practice so that you don't have to be on call more than is needed. Some medical fields have tons of call and super long work hours: Orthopedics, cardiologists, Pediatricians, and younger doctors in solo practice just getting started/established. Some have more defined work hours with less call: Pathology, Ophthalmology, ENT, Radiology, ER, etc. What kind of field is your father in? Any other doctors in your family?

Business on the other hand doesn't have to take many years of schooling although knowing the nuts and bolts of running a business makes for sound decision making. If you are going into business for yourself you don't need an MBA for that but if you want to run a big business then an MBA from a name school can get you on the right track faster. You don't seem the corporate type, you're more of a free agent guy. The hot jobs now are in tech, software, new emerging fields, etc. The reality is that the jobs that will be hot in 4 years when you get out of college are poorly defined right now and just beginning to materialize. Success can depend on being in the right place, knowing the right people, and being ready to move fast. If you do decide on business don't worry about striking it big early on. Things that fail are part of being a business man, keep at it and be ready for anything.
I really appreciate all the information you are giving me! I would probably wrap mine a nice blue or a cool shade of gray. I will be sure to check up on all that when I purchase a GT-R. If I get the LC2 should it be reliable to DD as a college student?
Yeah and I understand the long hours my dad work 70+ hour weeks (being on call) he is a family doctor. You can search his name up on Google. (Dr.Eric Madrid) and he's the only doctor in the family and the most successful, my goal is to pass him up networth wise. He doesn't believe in spoiling me though so thats why I'll will buy my own GT-R, instead of him buying me one. He is actually thinking of getting one next year and my mom might get an R8 convertible so I would be able to drive those and get used to the power. I think I want to go into business and investing in properties/business's though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It seems like you are 100% sure and assume no risk or doubt in any of the following:

1. When you will buy your car
2. How much you will get for your car in 2 years time
3. How much you will pay for the GTR
4. That you will get into a good college
5. That you will get a scholarship from said college
6. That your dad will give you the $100k
7. That you will be able to find a suitable house for a $100k down payment
8. That said house will be rented out
9. That said rent will be able to cover your mortgage, car payment, and insurance
10. That you don't need gas for the car
11. That you won't get into any accidents and need money for the deductible
12. That you won't need to make any repairs on the car

Seems like I can condense your post into 1 sentence: What year GTR should I buy and why?

In which case...
http://www.2009gtr.com/2010/12/used-nissan-gt-r-buyers-guide-2009-2011.html?m=1

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.