Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
12.01.15 Updated information

I've spent the last few days reading through various threads on the subject of aftermarket seats in the GT-R.

tl;dr
Has anyone tried or investigated using European Recaro Sportster CS seats (with airbag) in their R35 GT-R? I've seen a few European GT-Rs using the seats, no additional modifications and no airbag light.

---

The majority of owners with aftermarket seats seem to follow phlegmon's very thorough Flashing Airbag Light Solutionhttp://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic...ight-heres-a-solution-warning-its-a-long-post. If you don't feel like reading the entire thread involves:

1. 2.2 Ohm (NOT 2.2 k Ohm) resistor for the side airbags

2. A passenger side weight sensor (aka OCS - occupant classification system).

3. aftermarket seat + diagnostic mode

or

The other options, the Works Bell U-Turn plug, as shown in GSX-R35'shttp://www.gtrlife.com/forums/user/29570-gsx-r35/ thread, DIY: Swapping your seats for fun and profit! (maybe)http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/81390-diy-swapping-your-seats-for-fun-and-profit-maybe

There seems to be another option, which didn't come up in multiple search attempts on the forum, installing a european-spec Recaro Sportster CS with a built-in universal airbag.

From what I read online and on this forums regarding the 2007 US side airbag lawhttp://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/new-side-impact-requirements-will-change-the-cars-we-buy.html, auto manufacturers are required to phase in additional side-impact protection as a standard feature.

NHTSA, the federal government or both also require crash testing of any new equipment in an existing car. I think Matt McCullough may have alluded to this in a post, but the reason the GT-R continues to use the fatty Recaro seats vs the thinner, more-modern Sportsers is that it would cost Nissan a couple of cars in crash testing just to switch the older seats to the newer Sportster CS seats. Given the cost of the car and its low volume sales, it doesn't make sense for Nissan to crash test a couple of 100K cars just for new seats.

Apparently, this crash test requirement also applies to aftermarket seats coming into the US. And that's why we don't get the Sportser CS an official product from Recaro US.

My question is has anyone on this forum tried or investigated using European Recaro Sportster CS seats (with airbag) in their R35 GT-R? I've seen a few European GT-Rs with those seats, no additional modifications and no airbag light.

Obviously, for this to work, one would need to order the seats from a European reseller, get them over here and wire them in.
In speaking with a Recaro reseller, they provided this information:
"There is no airbag sensor mat in the [Sportster] passenger side, so if your model is equipped with an airbag sensor mat in the passenger's side from the factory - then the airbag on the passenger side will be out of function - (the driver's airbag will still function)!

So you will need to move the sensor mat over to the new seat"

However, it might be possible to source a RHD driver side Recaro Sportster (with airbag and heat) for the US passenger side from a UK vendor and a LHD driver side Sportster for the US driver side. Sounds like a ton of work/effort, but want to keep this thread fairly thorough.

I assume the final option for someone interested in aftermarket seats with airbag would be to research what it would take to mount and wire Nismo 370Z seats into a GT-R.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Great question.... Subscribed.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The Juke Nismo RS seats are Recaro Sportsters with Nissan plugs. I have the Juke and those seats straight up rock over the crap they put in the GTR.

The issue is the seats in the passengerside supposedly have the slider/ mounting bracket welded on. Any competent welder could correct thatand then mount to an existing Planted set up for the GTR. It would be a plug and play beyond that issue and look really nice. Hard to believe that Nissan put these in a 28K car and not a 100K car

Picture below. Thats rear leather and Alcantara too

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

·
R35 Pilot
1,029 Posts
i was going to do this in my car as well. I hate how we got screwed in the Nismo with the same seats.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think for anyone that wants a 100% OEM solution, the seats from the 2016 370z Nismo are a good choice (they're basically just Sportster Backs with special Nissan cushions):

Can these be mounted in a GTR?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.