Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering when some of you guys take your GT-R's to a place like discount tire or places similar to install new tires do you also have them do the alignment or do you hold off and have it done elsewhere at a GT-R certified dealer? Is it necessary to have a new alignment done immediately at the time of new tires or can it wait until the next complimentary POS service when it's included anyway?

I personally would be hesitant to have an alignment done at any place other than the GT-R dealership or a specialized shop that is familiar with it on these cars. Basically I'm asking if the alignment has been done within the past year, does a new tire installation warrant a new alignment or can it wait until the next POS? Thanks in advance!

·
Pew Pew
659 Posts
Most shops looking to make some $$$ will say yes.

Honest answer is no.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I was just wondering when some of you guys take your GT-R's to a place like discount tire or places similar to install new tires do you also have them do the alignment or do you hold off and have it done elsewhere at a GT-R certified dealer? Is it necessary to have a new alignment done immediately at the time of new tires or can it wait until the next complimentary POS service when it's included anyway?

I personally would be hesitant to have an alignment done at any place other than the GT-R dealership or a specialized shop that is familiar with it on these cars. Basically I'm asking if the alignment has been done within the past year, does a new tire installation warrant a new alignment or can it wait until the next POS? Thanks in advance!
i did tires a while back and did not have to do alignment. i believe its only if you are going with different wheels or changing your suspension.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You should probably do an alignment now and again anyway, tires are expensive so doing one within the first 500 miles of a new set isn't a bad idea. However I would go somewhere that knows the GT-R or understands your needs as a driver of a high performance car. They will look at all the settings and take into account how and where you drive. Also I believe tires need a few miles before the contact patch is what it should be, so I wouldn't want an alignment minutes after a new set has been fitted. That is just my feeling, I can't prove that an alignment with brand new tires would be any different to one after a few hundred miles though...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Depends on the road conditions where you live to be honest. Alignments can get all out of whack if your roads are rough or full potholes. It's cheap insurance to get a 4 wheel alignment every time you replace your tires to prevent unnecessary wear on the new expensive rubber. A good shop will not charge you if once they get the car on the rack the alignment is within spec.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome thanks for all of the replies! Yeah I have already talked with my local Discount Tire and I got a really good vibe from them regarding their experience with these types of tires and the "no touch" tire installation equipment they use. They quoted me $92.92 for the entire installation cost of all four tires which I feel is not bad at all considering some outrageous amounts I've seen posted here. Not to mention their costs for the tires themselves beat Tire Rack by a long shot. I am definitely going to use them when the time comes for my tires.

BTW, I was bored yesterday and checked the tread depth on my factory summer dunlops and they are already down to 4/32nd's with just 4,400 miles on the clock! If my calculations are correct, I will be down to 2/32nd's at around 7,333 miles! Seems a little too soon due to the fact I haven't tracked and just very occasional "spirited" driving. I'm assuming this tread wear for these tires is normal? These tires come new with 7/32nd's tread depth for the 2015 model.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Awesome thanks for all of the replies! Yeah I have already talked with my local Discount Tire and I got a really good vibe from them regarding their experience with these types of tires and the "no touch" tire installation equipment they use. They quoted me $92.92 for the entire installation cost of all four tires which I feel is not bad at all considering some outrageous amounts I've seen posted here. Not to mention their costs for the tires themselves beat Tire Rack by a long shot. I am definitely going to use them when the time comes for my tires.

BTW, I was bored yesterday and checked the tread depth on my factory summer dunlops and they are already down to 4/32nd's with just 4,400 miles on the clock! If my calculations are correct, I will be down to 2/32nd's at around 7,333 miles! Seems a little too soon due to the fact I haven't tracked and just very occasional "spirited" driving. I'm assuming this tread wear for these tires is normal? These tires come new with 7/32nd's tread depth for the 2015 model.
Not sure if you're the original owner or not, but it sounds to me like it was never set up for street driving once it was initially picked up--which sucks. The way it's supposed to work is, when the car is delivered brand new, and then purchased by someone, the dealership is supposed to offer the buyer the choice of keeping it track aligned, or going with a less aggressive, "normal" alignment. So, yes, it's normal, but it could've been avoided. I'm on 10,000 miles, original tires, and still plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure if you're the original owner or not, but it sounds to me like it was never set up for street driving once it was initially picked up--which sucks. The way it's supposed to work is, when the car is delivered brand new, and then purchased by someone, the dealership is supposed to offer the buyer the choice of keeping it track aligned, or going with a less aggressive, "normal" alignment. So, yes, it's normal, but it could've been avoided. I'm on 10,000 miles, original tires, and still plenty of tread left.
Just curious if you have the summer or all seasons? I'm the original owner and when I did the 1k POS I opted for the most conservative setting. Here is a pic of the alignment report from the service so you can see what my settings were before and after the service was done. Font Line Material property Handwriting Paper

Attachments

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I'm actually really satisfied as far as how all four tires have worn so evenly. All of my tires are measuring almost identical tread depth wear. My local dealership also let me know today that the wear I am experiencing is totally normal for the Dunlop summer tires. I am most likely going to go with the all seasons next as I am curious how well they handle compared to the summers and their longevity.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
No, you don't need alignment when just tires are changed. When you do suspension mods or change wheels it's not a bad idea to do the alignment. Your front right and rear left toe were off, that's why you have the poor wear on your tires already.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, you don't need alignment when just tires are changed. When you do suspension mods or change wheels it's not a bad idea to do the alignment. Your front right and rear left toe were off, that's why you have the poor wear on your tires already.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using GT-R Life mobile app
I see that but that was all corrected at my 1k mile POS. So the wear I am experiencing must be due to other factors. I am guessing mainly road condition. Most of the roads where I live and drive my car constantly were re-paved with that cheap rough-style black top. I am guessing that is a big contributor as I can tell how ruff it is by the road noise. As soon as I clear it and change to the more common surface roads the noise reduces significantly as it is much more smooth. The government most likely chose the lowest cost/quality materials when they contracted out the work.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
I see that but that was all corrected at my 1k mile POS. So the wear I am experiencing must be due to other factors. I am guessing mainly road condition. Most of the roads where I live and drive my car constantly were re-paved with that cheap rough-style black top. I am guessing that is a big contributor as I can tell how ruff it is by the road noise. As soon as I clear it and change to the more common surface roads the noise reduces significantly as it is much more smooth. The government most likely chose the lowest cost/quality materials when they contracted out the work.
Maybe I missed it, but how many miles did you get out of this set of tires?

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
It may have not been corrected at your 1k mile POS. The alignment machine can always be off. The Nissan alignment machines take a beating...constant use for all models.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It may have not been corrected at your 1k mile POS. The alignment machine can always be off. The Nissan alignment machines take a beating...constant use for all models.
I see what you're saying but I highly doubt that as my tires have worn exceptionally well since the alignment (no uneven wear). The only problem I am having is the tires as a whole are wearing fast. Again, I just think it's a result of my local road conditions and type of tires and has nothing to do with the alignment in my case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts