Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
While we have not been able to supply our carbon intake manifolds as fast as we have been selling them some real world tests have started to roll in.

David Buschur of Buschur Racing just recently did a back to back test on a custom Spec ALPHA 12 Car he built for Evolunchbox on this site. It was using his 4.1L longblock our ALPHA 12 turbo kit with his own spin on the turbo all on 93 octane pump gas. For those that don't know Dave has a super stingy Mustang dyno.

Well..............the dyno results are done and the results are there for sure.

By the time it was all said and done the boost levels were equaled out, timing was left the same and I ended up having to add some fuel to the VE table, which shows there was a change in HP for sure and it's not just some random day-to-day change.

In the end I'd have sure preferred to done this all in one day.

I can't say enough about Eric Gaudi's service, it was just outstanding.

Total gain in horsepower was 55 whp, this is gains over one of our ported intakes that had the plenum cut off, completely ported inside and then welded back on. We see about 25 whp from porting the stock intake, so the 80 whp gains that AMS claims is pretty damn legit.

Also, just to add some more detail. Peak boost was 25 psi, from 6800-8100 rpm the boost was 23.xx psi.

The gains that we saw were all over about 6000 rpm, which works out well since this car never sees below 6000 rpm on the drag strip.

55whp over his ported intake which he has made 25whp over stock on this car previously. That's a 75whp gain over stock on a PUMP gas GT-R!!! Dave and Nick have plans to take the car to the track very soon to attempt to be the first 8 second GT-R on Pump gas with this combination. We are all rooting for them!

We also got to do another test in house at AMS recently. The subject was a TSM built ALPHA 10 running their 4.0L Engine. The baselined in 68 Degree weather about 972whp on E85 at about 32psi. This is pretty inline with what we expect out of an ALPHA 10 build on a good conservative tune.

Since then we have done our Carbon intake swap. Boost was kept inline with the baseline at 32 psi and timing is about the same but a touch lower now. The gains were incredible. While the temps were MUCH hotter this morning at about 96 Degrees in our dyno room the car still picked up over 100whp!!!!

As you can see spool time was a little later but this is actually uncommon for our intake. We usually see nearly identical spool to stock with our intake and after talking to our tuner he stated the spool difference is attributed to the air temp between the two tests.

In both cases these are outstanding gains for our ALPHA Carbon Intake manifold. I am sure more independent tests will start popping up soon as manifolds make their way onto cars

For more info on our Carbon Intake please visit the product page found here: http://www.amsperfor...e-manifold.html

Eric

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The curve looks right for changing an intake manifold. If you have an identical curve down low and have the gains up top, you would have built some super trick sh*t and should double the price of your intake manifold.

You can see Buschur had similar results on his dyno graph.

With a standard high flowing - high rpm manifold, you should expect to lose some down low but have much higher gains up top. No need to blame the drop in ~80-90 ft/lb torque down low as a result of air intake temps. It's ok to be completely normal

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Erick we need the same testing against the Boost Logic Intake manifold. Do you guys have it?
We do not anymore. We did do this test on Gidi's car when it was here and at about 1200whp we saw 25-30whp over it. let me see if i can find that test somewhere.

Eric

·
Will trade patents for car parts
508 Posts
It's a beautiful piece! Nice results too. I'm thinking that it's total overkill for an FBO car, other than the bling.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
dyno number is also std corrected. so the hot air might not reduce dyno numbers. Don't know the actual correction factor for each run. It does seem to make a lot of power. If you convert that to increase in volumetric efficiency of the engine, it is a lot.

The curve looks right for changing an intake manifold. If you have an identical curve down low and have the gains up top, you would have built some super trick sh*t and should double the price of your intake manifold.

You can see Buschur had similar results on his dyno graph.

With a standard high flowing - high rpm manifold, you should expect to lose some down low but have much higher gains up top. No need to blame the drop in ~80-90 ft/lb torque down low as a result of air intake temps. It's ok to be completely normal

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a beautiful piece! Nice results too. I'm thinking that it's total overkill for an FBO car, other than the bling.
I have a Nismo coming in later on in the year that is getting one. That should be a decent indicator of how it would do on a FBO car. I know the Nismo turbos are a little bigger but it would be much more comparable than say the ALPHA 12 and 10 shown here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts