Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
We were finally able to completely dissect the car for damage today...

THE ENGINE IS COMPLETELY FINE!!!!!

What happened is that we discovered a weak point of the drivetrain... THE FLYWHEEL HOUSING.

The nitrous and fuel system was apparently fine but TOO MUCH TORQUE shattered the bell housing!

There was some minor damage to the downpipes and exhaust but nothing major.

All in all... we should have it completely fixed for about $1,800.

Maybe the GT-R's engine is a lot stronger than we thought.

* I'll post some photos in the coming days. I need to bring my Nikon SLR up to the shop and get some nice photos.

If all goes well we should back on the track next week.

Click for high-res.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Awesome
I guess you'll have to try harder to brake her next time LOL.
But really, happy for you guys not to have to spend some major $$ to get back on the track.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome
I guess you'll have to try harder to brake her next time LOL.
But really, happy for you guys not to have to spend some major $$ to get back on the track.
Thanks! Our entire team is really happy about it. We were ready to work on some forged internals but now it may not be necessary - at least for now.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks! Our entire team is really happy about it. We were ready to work on some forged internals but now it may not be necessary - at least for now.
That is good to hear!
Have you given any thought to throwing the larger turbos on it rather than the sauce, or even with it if you feel froggy

·
NAGTROC design team
2,827 Posts
Wow! Fantastic, weird (video makes you think it would be something different) and concerning (is a new tranny case going to need to be developed to handle gobs of TQ?) at the same time.

Edit: nevermind about the tranny case...old-school-direct-bolt-to-back-of-motor-thinking here.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is good to hear!
Have you given any thought to throwing the larger turbos on it rather than the sauce, or even with it if you feel froggy
We'll definitely run stronger turbos soon. For now we're just experimenting to get the most out of our current setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What is your best ET and mph in the 1/4 mile without the nitrous? That 25 shot sounds more like a 125 shot if it broke your bell housing!

Good luck with it and thanks for actually going to the track and running. You have got more balls than most who are running lots of mods but who dont have any real track numbers (dont want to look bad and all).

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is your best ET and mph in the 1/4 mile without the nitrous? That 25 shot sounds more like a 125 shot if it broke your bell housing!

Good luck with it and thanks for actually going to the track and running. You have got more balls than most who are running lots of mods but who dont have any real track numbers (dont want to look bad and all).
10.53 @ almost 129 without nitrous at all. And it wasn't a 25 shot. The 25 shot was manually sprayed during the [email protected] pass. The pass with the fireworks was a *150* shot that was being controlled by a progressive computer system. The car will run 130+ trap speed without a launch (no nitrous). With a launch the trap speed is slightly less due to traction.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Good news! well, not as bad as first thought at least. Interested in seeing the damage pics and to hear if you have any trouble getting replacement parts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just guessing: Do you think stiffer/softer mounts would be necessary? (don't know how the rear bell housing area is attached)
Great news!!!

See you at the track. PLEASE let me know when you do a private rental, and Ill let you know as well.

Jason

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good news! well, not as bad as first thought at least. Interested in seeing the damage pics and to hear if you have any trouble getting replacement parts.
New bell housing has been ordered from Nissan and will be here on Monday.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
crap.........
well good news for the engine I guess..... can't wait to hear more

1 - 20 of 56 Posts