Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Of course, as soon as I got my GTR, I contacted my long time friends at AMS. I have built a few Evo's with them over the years for track and street. I've been lucky enough to see Martin, Arne, Eric, Chris, Ivan (theres soooo many more guys to name) grow from a samll shop that specialized in DSM Galants and Eclipses to the power-horse they are today. It's amazing what these guys have accomplished.

Anyway, everyone knows who AMS is, so on with the install and pics!

This is a VERY easy install. IMHO, if you can jack up your car, safely put your car on jack stands and have the proper tools, you can do it!!

The quality is fantastic as expected with AMS products. Pics below of difference Vs. stock. For now, I kept the stock exhaust and dp's just to give the exhaust some character that this car deserves.

I also added a AP with one of AMS Chris Black's tunes and LC5.

I always, at least, intake, exhaust and flash any car I own.... But WOW... What a difference!! Talk about bang for the buck.

Beware, this is how the snowball starts... But man is it satisfying!

Install:

Jack up the car using the front-side jack point. Go as high as you can with your jack and lower just enough to contact rear jack stand. Add a jack stand for safety in the front, but you can leave car on the jack as I did.

Spray the 2 bolts connecting mid pipe to rear exhaust and the four bolts connecting mid pipe to the DP's with a just a LITTLE bit of penetrating oil. Loosens things up and lubes the threads as you back the nuts off. We want to keep our threads nice and pretty.

Loosen 2 rear bolts connecting mid pipe to rear exhaust.

Loosen all 4 bolts connecting mid pipe to the DP's.

Now that you have determined you have the tools and have been able to get the hardware loose, remove all 6 bolts. BTW, becareful not to drop mid pipe on your face, I guarantee it will leave a mark, it's heavy.

Once you've gotten the stock mid pipe, stock gaskets and hardware out of the way, it's time to loosen the brace thats just aft of the DP's, the large 90mm AMS mid pipe wont fit without making a bit of room for install. Remove the rear bolts on each ear and only loosen the front. Remove the long bolts going up, through the brace and into chassis. Now you can pivot brace down and make enough room for AMS mid pipe install.

Use supplied DP to mid pipe gaskets. I reused my stock hardware since I have stock DP's, but AMS includes new hardware to mate to their DP's. The trick here is just to slide gaskets on and cock them in a way they'll stay there on the studs. Next slowly slide mid pipe into place and onto the studs. While holding mid pipe in position, start the 4 nuts attaching mid pipe to the DP's. No need to tighten all the way, just enough to hold it up. Then go back and tighten in 3 stages, snug, more snug and then tight, alternating between the four nuts.

Next is attaching the mid pipe to the rear exhaust. At first I was shocked. I couldnt believe it didnt fit right. Is this possible? No its not... You get what you pay for. A quick pull of the exhaust back toward the front of the car and the mid pipe and fit was AMS perfect. Same drill, get the bolts started and go back and snug and then tighten.

Now just go back and re-install bolts for the cross brace.

Done.

Hurry and let your car down and start it to admire the new sound.... The way it should sound.

The results with the tune are outstanding. I cant stress this enough. I have destroyed several heavily modded subaru's, and beat a very fast Evo and a wild supercharged mustang. Last 2 races were close, but a win is a win. The car twists my Michelin SS 295's in first and second. The car eats the road on the highway. Very happy with the results.

The pics:

All the tools required. (impact not necessary, just speeds things up)

All hardware and high quality gaskets included.

Stock Vs. AMS Mid pipe

Car jacked up on one side, easy as pie and done in less than an hour.

Close-up of AMS quality, damn sexy.

Close up of the necked down exit of the 90mm AMS mid pipe for the stock exhaust and exhaust's 75-85mm.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Very nice article and well put together too

1) Whats the noise like as a day to day driver with the 90 mm?
2) Have you got 295 Michelin's PSS all round and if so what wheel sizes? (sorry to be bit off topic but I am considering this tire )

·
Registered
802 Posts
Very nice article and well put together too

1) Whats the noise like as a day to day driver with the 90 mm?
2) Have you got 295 Michelin's PSS all round and if so what wheel sizes? (sorry to be bit off topic but I am considering this tire )
mad Mike,

Nothing about your quote.

Your picture is awesome . LOL

What is that? A dog or wolf jumping over a pig. LOL.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.