Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long wait and testing we finally have our turbo's ready to release to the public.

The AMS GT-R Turbo Upgrade provides stock spool up, neck snapping torque and horsepower that will transform the already mighty GT-R into a true supercar! Designed as a direct bolt on for your existing factory turbochargers, you can expect gains starting at 170whp/150wtq and up with the proper supporting mods and tuning! At full boost with race gas these turbos are capable of up to 800 horsepower!

These turbos were designed to mimic spool and the aesthetics of the factory units. To the untrained eye these two turbos looks just as quiet and unsuspecting as the stock turbos but once you hit the throttle the difference becomes very evident.

On our chassis dyno with just an AMS Turbo-Back Exhaust, boost controller, upgraded injectors and a tune we were able to take our stock GT-R safely from 434 all wheel horsepower all the way up to 610! Torque was also bumped from the stock level of 406 to a massive 581 ft lbs measured at the wheels!!! Most impressive of all, this was done on JUST 22psi and 93 OCTANE PUMP GAS!

Exclusive Features

• Direct factory replacement with NO cutting or trimming required
  • Capable of up to 800hp depending on boost and octane level
  • 170 wheel horsepower and 150ft lbs of torque gains on just pump gas!
  • Factory like fitment, even incorporates the factory heat shielding
  • Bolts right up to the stock piping and intake system.
  • OEM look that is hard to detect
  • Utilizes machined OEM turbine and compressor housings
  • Assembled with a True Garrett GT series ball bearing center section
  • Ability to reuse the factory wastegate actuators (for increased performance add on the Forge motorsports wastegate actuators)

Specifications

• Garrett GT Ball Bearing center section with machined OEM housings
  • Comes complete with oil and water lines for easy installation

Options

Available with Forge motorsports wastegate actuators for an additional fee

CLICK HERE TO ORDER!!!

·
Vendor
5,237 Posts
Amazing results. We're glad to be an authorized AMS dealer.
-Patrick

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Looks great Eric. We have a set of AMS Turbos on the bench...installing this week on a customer's car.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
After a long wait and testing we finally have our turbo's ready to release to the public.

The AMS GT-R Turbo Upgrade provides stock spool up, neck snapping torque and horsepower that will transform the already mighty GT-R into a true supercar! Designed as a direct bolt on for your existing factory turbochargers, you can expect gains starting at 170whp/150wtq and up with the proper supporting mods and tuning! At full boost with race gas these turbos are capable of up to 800 horsepower!

These turbos were designed to mimic spool and the aesthetics of the factory units. To the untrained eye these two turbos looks just as quiet and unsuspecting as the stock turbos but once you hit the throttle the difference becomes very evident.

On our chassis dyno with just an AMS Turbo-Back Exhaust, boost controller, upgraded injectors and a tune we were able to take our stock GT-R safely from 434 all wheel horsepower all the way up to 610! Torque was also bumped from the stock level of 406 to a massive 581 ft lbs measured at the wheels!!! Most impressive of all, this was done on JUST 22psi and 93 OCTANE PUMP GAS!

Exclusive Features

• Direct factory replacement with NO cutting or trimming required
  • Capable of up to 800hp depending on boost and octane level
  • 170 wheel horsepower and 150ft lbs of torque gains on just pump gas!
  • Factory like fitment, even incorporates the factory heat shielding
  • Bolts right up to the stock piping and intake system.
  • OEM look that is hard to detect
  • Utilizes machined OEM turbine and compressor housings
  • Assembled with a True Garrett GT series ball bearing center section
  • Ability to reuse the factory wastegate actuators (for increased performance add on the Forge motorsports wastegate actuators)

Specifications

• Garrett GT Ball Bearing center section with machined OEM housings
  • Comes complete with oil and water lines for easy installation

Options

Available with Forge motorsports wastegate actuators for an additional fee

CLICK HERE TO ORDER!!!
since you did a really nice job explaining the cost of the casting of the downpipe

can you help me understand the cost of replacing the parts on the stock turbo that equal $5999??

i had an STI years ago and i upgraded the factory turbo with new wheels, bearing, lines etc etc basically a complete rebuild just like this the cost was $1500 so if you double that shouldnt these run about $3000? to say $4000 not $5999

Anxiously waiting your reply

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
since you did a really nice job explaining the cost of the casting of the downpipe

can you help me understand the cost of replacing the parts on the stock turbo that equal $5999??

i had an STI years ago and i upgraded the factory turbo with new wheels, bearing, lines etc etc basically a complete rebuild just like this the cost was $1500 so if you double that shouldnt these run about $3000? to say $4000 not $5999

Anxiously waiting your reply
GTR has two and GTR tax.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
GTR has two and GTR tax.
thats why i took the $1500x2=$3000 i added another 1000 just for the F of it but i was still 2000 short

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
the new turbos just bolt on and thats it? is the cobb ap compatible?
it says 22psi

so stock doesnt run 22psi so these have been tuned

I would like to see what the stock ecu would do with bigger turbos too

·
Who Dat !
7,797 Posts
Really question is have you raced your monster Evo's against the GTR?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
thats why i took the $1500x2=$3000 i added another 1000 just for the F of it but i was still 2000 short
Its very simple Yano and ill get right to the point since its been talked about several times now
(Also for the guy with the STI, which btw is a great example)

There just aren't enough GT-R's to offset the costs. To add to it, how many of the owners do you really think want to modify their cars with larger turbos?

Now opposite of that, there are many of more Evo's and STI's out there.... much bigger market so you make larger runs which can be amortized over the larger production run. This in turn lowers the costs of the product.

From a strict business standpoint, for how much it costs to make all these parts compared to the amount being sold just isn't worth it but shops like AMS, Forged and Switzer for example are doing it because they are car enthusiast just like we are and yet they still have to make all the numbers work for them so they are still making a profit on parts. I'm thankful a reputable and fair shop like AMS jumped into this car.

I'm sure theres more to it, my name isn't Eric and I'm sure he will chime in...

But I invite you to look at the prices of some of the other kits/ upgrade paths out there before you jump the gun...

And I cant say what these shops have into there setups as far as costs, so I'm not pointing fingers in any direction. Just stating what seems to be the obvious that the AMS turbos are the cheapest set so far.... and STILL deliver!!
I PROMISE THEY WONT DISAPPOINT!

I come from the Evo world where full 35r turbo kits cost $4000 with a downpipe, wastegate, lower intercooler piping etc... but again were not in the Evo world.

Bottom line Parts will always be more expensive on lower production cars. I mean look at what it costs to mod a Porsche, Viper...or how about a Lambo.

The GT-R is a $80,000 limited production car and nobody wants to get ripped off on parts but you also can't compare it to high production cars form manufactures like a Ford, GM, Mitsubishi and Subaru.

Sorry for the rant guys but I know the motivation behind AMS's products for the GT-R-present and future-

And that is to deliver a quality part for a reasonable price and back it up with service and support.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would like to see what the stock ecu would do with bigger turbos too
Well, I guess it would be sort of interesting to see what it would make......

But what the hell would be the point?

I dont think anyone would run/ want to run a stock ECU map with these turbos.

Im going to guess though.... if you had downpipes, exhaust, and just turbos (again why anyone would do this just gets me) Id say 520ish?

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think he is asking for stock turbo's at 22 psi compared to these. I am sorry but we never bothered to do that test as this particular car was getting turbo's from day one.

I can tell you there is no WAY a stock set of turbo's is getting anywhere close to 600whp even on race gas.

yano, I hope you are on ever other vendor on price as much as you are AMS. In regards to your comparison to your sti turbo's....its night and day. You are talking about taking an existing turbo and installing new wheels and having it balanced. This is a COMPLETELY new Garrett Center section that we then have to take the OEM housings and machine to make them fit. On top of that add the custom line kit for the turbos and you have the price. Again...night and day from your STI comparison. This is like buying two brand new Garrett GT series Ball bearing turbo's and then having to machine your own housings.

Hope that clears it up a bit

Eric

·
Registered
98 Posts
Compare the price of these turbos ( and all that goes with them) to the price of a titanium exhaust or to a set of BBS or HREs. Hell, look at the price of some CF parts out there. I've been following these developments and one thing is very clear: AMS has done their due diligence and R&D. If these guys say the price is $5999 then that's what goes in the budget. The argument against a GT-R tax is much more appropriately directed elsewhere, I think. I have no connection to AMS - no prior dealings and no relationship whatsoever. This is just my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Really question is have you raced your monster Evo's against the GTR?
Hahaha nooo but I have to think that the EVO would be juuuuuust a bit faster. I mean you are talking 1140 whp compared to about 600. Oh and the EVO only weighs about 2600lbs.

that's ok though. I talked to Frank and Mike (owners of the car) and Looks like come winter they are REALLY going to let us go nuts on this thing. I told them the next time I take that motor out I won't put it back in unless there are two GT35R or bigger turbo's on that son of a bitch LOL

Eric

·
Premium Member
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Compare the price of these turbos ( and all that goes with them) to the price of a titanium exhaust or to a set of BBS or HREs. Hell, look at the price of some CF parts out there. I've been following these developments and one thing is very clear: AMS has done their due diligence and R&D. If these guys say the price is $5999 then that's what goes in the budget. The argument against a GT-R tax is much more appropriately directed elsewhere, I think. I have no connection to AMS - no prior dealings and no relationship whatsoever. This is just my humble opinion.
Thank you sir! Things like this mean a lot to us.

Eric

·
Registered
305 Posts
There just aren't enough GT-R's to offset the costs. To add to it, how many of the owners do you really think want to modify their cars with larger turbos?
Cost? Cost of what? They are using a Garrett CHRA. I am sure AMS's pricing on those is pretty fixed. They also did not R and D much anything from what they have posted. They didn't spend a bunch of labor swapping different combos.

They removed the turbos, sent the housings to get machined, and bolted in the Garrett CHRA into the machined housings.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts