Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an open-box 9500ci with the new LI shifter modules for an incredible deal and made use of the Port-A-Cool in the garage today to tackle a DIY install. Big thanks to member MemphisStylee for his thread giving guidance on install: http://www.gtrlife.c...os-mini-how-to/

Mounted the radar unit behind the grill on the driver's side of the GT-R logo, and bent the mounting bracket similarly to the other thread to allow mounting into the bumper reinforcement:

The new LI modules are considerable smaller than the previous modules, so no grill cutting needed to occur. Mounted with double sided tape to the underside of the grill overhang. To keep it level, I needed to shim the front of the mount 1/16th of an inch. I had some small leftover pieces of aluminum that I incorporated into the mounting tape to accomplish this; most folks could probably double-up on the mounting tape on the top front and up with the same results. In making sure that both modules are straight when forward-facing, you'll end up with a slight protrusion on the lateral sides of each mount. I also used a dremel to cut off the mounting tabs on each side of the modules. Squared up the modules using a square and a laser level:

Everything routed up alongside the driver's-side headlight and under the brake fluid bonnet. Had a blank grommet available to pull everything thru. All connections heat-shrinked and a little glob of silicone on the grommet after everything pulled to length and zip tied:

Wife's glue gun and a couple plastic wedge tools from Harbor Freight made quick work of the rear-view mirror. I'm not great and soldering small connections, so I opted to run dedicated wiring thru the back of the mirror (9/64ths hole). I was OK having the display on the passenger side. Tucked everything up under the headliner and down the A-pillar:

Speaker on the metal transit under the steering column:

GPS mounted on the rear deck; no drilling required, just tucked everything under the plastic, down the lateral side of the seat, under the plastic again and under the rubber trim:

Wanted to install the alert LED atop the steering column, but after taking it apart I figured there was simply no room to install that LED (too much hardware immediately underneath). Opted to place it to the left of the mirror controls:

I strongly considered mounting the control modeule recessed into the center shift console just like MemphisStylee showed, however, my dremel abilities are not very pretty and I would have been really disappointed in myself if I screwed it up or got it crooked. Opted to mount atop the shifter console and didn't recess it. Another 9/64ths hole, snuck the wire down and along the center console and under the floorboard carpet to the control module. I did snip/splice the telephone plug connection so I didn't have to drill a ginormous hole to fit the plug - only adds a couple minutes to the process and if you're handy with heat shrink tubing you can have a really nice outcome:

USB connector mounted alongside the OBD plug. Tried to keep everything relatively accessible and tidy underneath:

And... that's it. Have a little over 6 hours invested - all works like a charm. Probably the most intimidating part was taking apart the mirror and not dicking up the plastic bezel. Was nice not having to cut the grill with these new modules, and the install can be backed out within an hour or so. Modules are about as even as one can hope to achieve, and next on the to-do list is a rear shifter module. If anyone is considering tackling this themselves and has any questions, let me know.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Looks good. I did the mirror too but didn't like how dark it looked behind the glass. I moved it to the gauge cluster and like it there more.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
I like it better in the cluster. I guess the companies that do the mods must be doing something to the glass to lighten up the shading. During the day it way almost impossible to see

· Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for a nice write-up with pictures, Joe! I'm planning to install Bel STiR+, and will definitely use this info.

Where did you tap for the +12V to power the unit? Neither on your photo of the fuse box, nor on MemphisStylee's, I don't see any extra connections to the fuses. There are some wires on the connectors on the left side of the fuse box though. Is that where you got the power?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.