Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving normally on Mon (8th Aug) & suddenly car loose power & gear went into auto mode without the availability to change them manually.

Only 'selectable' gears are 1st/ 3rd & 5th but there's no 'limp mode', basically am not limited to crawling 'speed'. Stopped at the road shoulder & tried to read fault with Cobb AP & P0840 showed up, Picture of rear Chassis kept flickering/blinking. Tried re-settting it twice unsuccessfully hence drove straight to workshop.

Car is a JDM 08' with 41,000 km mileage & slightly over 3 years old. 1st & 2nd tranny oil change was performed at 5,000km & 10,000km respectively using Nisssan OEM Fluids. At approx 15,000 mileage, tranny fluids was changed to Willlall WR35TM & a WillAll tranny oil cooler was added. At approx 25,000km mileage, the following was added to the tranny http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?sh...=clips+clutches in the hope of bullet proofing tranny. At about 35,000 km mileage, changed tranny fluids to Willall WR35 TMVS Victroy spec

It has never been tracked but have been driven robustly along back roads. It has never been launched. Workshop just called & said that most likely tranny failure are due to solenoid issue-sucks

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Its a pressure sensor failure....something thats becoming fairly common on stock/modified/raced/streeted GTRs.
It comes down to a poor quality pressure sensor being used in the transmission and is an electrical problem. We can supply the parts to fix this for $295
Nothing to do with your use of the car, the temperatures, fluid used, or modifications. Its a random thing

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a pressure sensor failure....something thats becoming fairly common on stock/modified/raced/streeted GTRs.
It comes down to a poor quality pressure sensor being used in the transmission and is an electrical problem. We can supply the parts to fix this for $295
Nothing to do with your use of the car, the temperatures, fluid used, or modifications. Its a random thing
Wow, thanks Martin
, so are you effectively saying that it's not the solenoid that's affecting my ride's tranny but it's the Pressure Sensor? If i leave the Solenoid alone but change the Pressure Sensor as in http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=46752 for US$295 then all could be well? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I reckon thats your problem!
Thanks Martin for your swift respond
You have surely help me save some money for those solenoids
& US$ 295 for your pressure sensors seems like a bargain! Now how might i
proceed to order? Directly from you or does your authorized agent carry them? It's ST Powered Singapore

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I had the exact same code and it indeed did turn out to be a failed pressure sensor on clutch A. I don't know if you saw my thread on this or not. If you didn't: http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=58426

The symptoms you describe are identical to what I had, except for one thing. My car seemed to be speed limited to about 25 mph and would not go any faster, even with the gas pedal floored. Thus, third gear is the highest gear the car would go into.

Perhaps the difference is that yours is JDM vs. my USDM. If you don't have any warranty coverage, then definitely try replacing the sensor. But before doing so, if you can, try to get a read on the voltage. According to the algorithm my tech went through to confirm this was the sensor, they had to rule out an electrical problem with the wire loom that includes the sensor output wires. It very well could be the sensor, but could also be a problem with the wire loom.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
3,445 Posts
Is the pressure sensor an easy item to change? My transmission is going to have gearlocks done soon. Can both sensors be swapped out easily? Does any calibration have to be done?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Martin, ST are on it

I had the exact same code and it indeed did turn out to be a failed pressure sensor on clutch A. I don't know if you saw my thread on this or not.Good luck!
Yes Doc, actually i decided to post mine after reading yours & Goodwood. Damn, so many GTR's are affected

Thing is, yes believe Nissan / Borg Warner muck it up with quality & such but don't know if i should be laughing or crying at Willall for coming out with the Pressure Sensor so late cos if it was out much earlier then i wouldn't need to have tranny drop again as the labor charges are wallet wilting.

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Latest Update:-

New Pressure Sensors were installed/ Tranny checked & test driven before handing back to me (15th Aug) but unfortunately, same problem crop up again (after approx 60+km of usage) & limp back to workshop. Consult III showing 1 sensor voltage low (flickering up & down to No voltage).

Shucks

·
Formerly R35_395
1,073 Posts
Latest Update:-

New Pressure Sensors were installed/ Tranny checked & test driven before handing back to me (15th Aug) but unfortunately, same problem crop up again (after approx 60+km of usage) & limp back to workshop. Consult III showing 1 sensor voltage low (flickering up & down to No voltage).

Shucks
So the new sensor from Wilall failed after 60 ks or a oem replacement?

What voltages are the sensors flickering between?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To all Interested Members who are keen to know tthe result, do apologized for my belated reply as i was kinda busy with work hence delay.

Tranny came off for 'faulty' pressure sensors & ride was finally released to me on the 25th Aug
Understood that those Batch of 'Pressure Sensors' were faulty as Tranny had to be dropped 3 additional times & workshop was cursing & swearing as
they can't change me 'additional' labor nor tranny V Spec fluids (understood it's 6 liters for every tranny drop entails 2 liters refill as my tranny fluids are still damn new).

Car was sent for a wash & has been park/ garaged ever since the day i collected it, till i took it out for a spin earlier. 2nd gear upshift seems 'tacky' but it's too early to say. Will update periodically as & when there's 'New Development' (Praying that i will
not need to). I'll be driving it this coming week daily & will try to drive it 'robustly' to see if everything is holding up. Asked my Garage/Tuner on their take pertaining to the reliability & longevity on the 'Pressure Sensors', they couldn't answer. Damn, mileage showing 41,000Km now, we'll see for tranny removal is certainly wallet wilting

·
Formerly R35_395
1,073 Posts
To all Interested Members who are keen to know tthe result, do apologized for my belated reply as i was kinda busy with work hence delay.

Tranny came off for 'faulty' pressure sensors & ride was finally released to me on the 25th Aug
Understood that those Batch of 'Pressure Sensors' were faulty as Tranny had to be dropped 3 additional times & workshop was cursing & swearing as
they can't change me 'additional' labor nor tranny V Spec fluids (understood it's 6 liters for every tranny drop entails 2 liters refill as my tranny fluids are still damn new).

Car was sent for a wash & has been park/ garaged ever since the day i collected it, till i took it out for a spin earlier. 2nd gear upshift seems 'tacky' but it's too early to say. Will update periodically as & when there's 'New Development' (Praying that i will
not need to). I'll be driving it this coming week daily & will try to drive it 'robustly' to see if everything is holding up. Asked my Garage/Tuner on their take pertaining to the reliability & longevity on the 'Pressure Sensors', they couldn't answer. Damn, mileage showing 41,000Km now, we'll see for tranny removal is certainly wallet wilting
Did you cut up the transmission wiring loom to install the sensor?
Little confusing to which you're talking about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts