Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On May 8th I visited the dealer for fitting new Dunlops. Before picking up the car I was told that the car threw a transmission code. This is the first time I've had tranny problems with this car. Apparently the trans threw a code while they were jockeying the car around after the tire change. A day later it was diagnosed as needing "Install Metal Caps on 3 of the shift pistons in the transmission Actuator Control Module (ACM)." (Per US TSB NTB11-011. Not sure of the EU TSB number.) Since it was close to the mandated 30000 km transmission and differential fluid change I had the dealer change the fluids. I picked up the car today, May 23.

I was driving back home (The local HPC is 200km from where I live). I noticed the transmission was shifting VERY smoothly. I put the trans into neutral when I stopped for some traffic about 170 km from the dealer. The transmission light came on and from then on it was only able to shift to 2-4 and 6thgear. The car went into limp mode. I drove it back home in limp mode, parked it and called the dealer for a tow back.

When I started it again, about 15 minutes later, it was shifting fine but for some reason I think that the issue will reoccur.
The car will be flat-bedded back to the Prague HPC tomorrow morning.

I'm disappointed as this is the first real problem I've had with the car. The car is 100% stock, never launched and never tracked. Its fabulous to drive, but frankly transmissions SHOULD NOT FAIL at such low mileage (@16,000 miles)!!! Especially in a car that costs $120,000 (In Europe).

Since the clips didn't fix the issue and Nissan says that they don't service the transmission the fix is a transmission swap. Does anybody out there know how long it takes for Nissan to pop in a new tranny? (Ordering the trans, getting the warranty claim approved and then the install. The whole process. I'm trying to figure out if I should change my vacation plans.)

Also: is there any way to tell when the replacement transmission was manufactured? (Rumor has it that the 2013's are a bit stronger.)

Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What year is your GTR? Sorry couldn't help you out but it getting more and more depressing by hearing tranny problems. I have a 2010 and everytime I drive my car the thought of the trans failure always hang over my head and it really took the joy out of driving it. Godamn GTR is so good and so bad at the same time.

·
WHITE NINJA
4,183 Posts
What year is your GTR? Sorry couldn't help you out but it getting more and more depressing by hearing tranny problems. I have a 2010 and everytime I drive my car the thought of the trans failure always hang over my head and it really took the joy out of driving it. Godamn GTR is so good and so bad at the same time.
dont worry so much if it fails and your out of warranty you can have a dodson rebuild/reinforce and then the trans will not fail for a seal like all the GTRs do at some point

·
Registered
838 Posts
When my failed and went into Limp mode 2/4/6 gear only and NO REVERSE, it took Nissan about 10 days total to get me a new one and have it installed. Can you put the car in Reverse?

I also got a new 2012 transmission. They do not just fix them they replace the whole unit. Depending on the year car you have is what they base it off of I believe.

·
Registered
297 Posts
When my failed and went into Limp mode 2/4/6 gear only and NO REVERSE, it took Nissan about 10 days total to get me a new one and have it installed. Can you put the car in Reverse?

I also got a new 2012 transmission. They do not just fix them they replace the whole unit. Depending on the year car you have is what they base it off of I believe.
How do you know it was a 2012 tranny?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I am curious to know when replacement transmissions will start failing, or if 2012+ transmission will fail. If so I can smell a lawsuit...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I hope that it'll be fixed by vacation time at the end of next month. The wife and I want to go to Gran Paradiso in Italy. It's a fabulous car for transcontinental trips and gets great attention when you stop anywhere. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone photographs it.

Model Year 2010(EU Black Edition) - Bought in 09.
Relevant ECM/TCM Code(s) Unknown
Symptoms of failure Shifts only 2-4-6, No 1-3-5-R
Approx ODO at time of failure 26000 km (16,000 miles)
What were you doing at time of failure Idling in traffic in Neutral
Mods at time of failure None
Track use pre-failure None

A little update: when I started it up and drove it out of the garage this morning it was fine, but within a few minutes as soon as I put it in reverse to get it ready for the flatbed the transmission warning light came on again followed by the check engine light and "Engine system malfunction, visit dealer" on the comp display. The clutch takeup felt strange and the trans was making weird (even for a GT-R) sounds.

I hope that the inevitable tranny replacement goes well.

The funny thing is I never even launched the damn thing.

I'd be really pissed if this occurred after the warranty period.

The car is a lot of fun to drive especially here in Europe where speed limits are high and its close to fantastic alps roads. It gets a lot of positive attention as well. I love driving it. It's really stupid fast. The quoted 485 hp is probably more like 520. (I imagine that the 2013 model is pushing almost 600 hp, but the last thing the car needs, in my opinion, is even more power. You really can't use the quoted 485 hp on the street, anyway.) But if I knew that the tranny would crap out at just 16,000 miles I would've bought a lightly used turbo Porsche or a new Vette Z06 instead. There's really no excuse for a transmissions to fail at just 16,000 miles, especially if they aren't abused. All my GM transmissions went to 100,000+ miles without skipping a beat and those were in MUCH cheaper cars. (GT-R's in Europe run more than $ 120,000 due to VAT taxes and import duties.)

It's interesting to note that beef up parts for the trans are available from the aftermarket so it's probably not too hard (or expensive) for Nissan to re-design the parts that break in the stock transmission. I wonder what percentage of GT-R transmissions break? Hell, I wonder what percentage of replacement transmissions break?

It's a great car, but all these transmission failures have got to be costing Nissan some sales.

·
Registered
838 Posts
How do you know it was a 2012 tranny?
The only reason I know it's a 2012 is my GTR mechanic told me it was. He said they don't give out 2009/2010/2011 transmissions because of the issues. I also have a picture side by side and they look different.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I am curious to know when replacement transmissions will start failing, or if 2012+ transmission will fail. If so I can smell a lawsuit...
+1 if replacement transmissions start to fail especially on stock cars, there really will be no more excuse for Nissan.

OP hope you get your car in time for vacation, it should not take more than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The only reason I know it's a 2012 is my GTR mechanic told me it was. He said they don't give out 2009/2010/2011 transmissions because of the issues. I also have a picture side by side and they look different.
Just to be sure guys, when saying 2012 you mean MY11+ (LED facelift) or the newest 550hp MY12 models? I get a bit confused at times since they are classified differently in each continent.

·
Registered
370 Posts
When stock cars fail? From what I've read lots of stock cars have failed. I don't know the results yet but just got a CEL and T/M malfunction visit dealer warning. I've got reverse, thank goodness. But no 2,4, or 6. Drove in limp mode home. 2010 completely stock with ONLY 2700 (passed 2700 tonight actually). Never launched. No real tracking except for Nissan's sponsored GTR event. I love this car but I'm heartbroken ( yes for a car). Hope, if I need replacement, it'll come out better than before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On May 8th I visited the dealer for fitting new Dunlops. Before picking up the car I was told that the car threw a transmission code. This is the first time I've had tranny problems with this car. Apparently the trans threw a code while they were jockeying the car around after the tire change. A day later it was diagnosed as needing "Install Metal Caps on 3 of the shift pistons in the transmission Actuator Control Module (ACM)." (Per US TSB NTB11-011. Not sure of the EU TSB number.) Since it was close to the mandated 30000 km transmission and differential fluid change I had the dealer change the fluids. I picked up the car today, May 23.

I was driving back home (The local HPC is 200km from where I live). I noticed the transmission was shifting VERY smoothly. I put the trans into neutral when I stopped for some traffic about 170 km from the dealer. The transmission light came on and from then on it was only able to shift to 2-4 and 6thgear. The car went into limp mode. I drove it back home in limp mode, parked it and called the dealer for a tow back.

When I started it again, about 15 minutes later, it was shifting fine but for some reason I think that the issue will reoccur.
The car will be flat-bedded back to the Prague HPC tomorrow morning.

I'm disappointed as this is the first real problem I've had with the car. The car is 100% stock, never launched and never tracked. Its fabulous to drive, but frankly transmissions SHOULD NOT FAIL at such low mileage (@16,000 miles)!!! Especially in a car that costs $120,000 (In Europe).

Since the clips didn't fix the issue and Nissan says that they don't service the transmission the fix is a transmission swap. Does anybody out there know how long it takes for Nissan to pop in a new tranny? (Ordering the trans, getting the warranty claim approved and then the install. The whole process. I'm trying to figure out if I should change my vacation plans.)

Also: is there any way to tell when the replacement transmission was manufactured? (Rumor has it that the 2013's are a bit stronger.)

Thanks in advance for any responses.
A brief update: the dealer just called. They're uploading the black box data to Nissan. Then Nissan should get back to them about getting me a new transmission. Since they tried the solenoid tip clips per the TSB it looks like a new transmission for me. I hope that the transmission will be replaced: the previous fix lasted all of 2 hours and 105 miles. I've lost all faith in this transmission. Hopefully the transplanted trans will be a stronger unit. They could've saved me the time and hassle and just put in the new transmission straight away. Looks like the car will be sidelined or a total of at least a month.

As an aside: I did a bit of research:The dual clutch transmission is new technology, but I haven't heard that Porsche, Mercedes or BMW as having any unusual problems with it. On the other hand, VW & Audi have had problems and a recall for DSG trannys. Guess who manufactures the transmission for VW group and the GT-R?: Borg-Warner. (Porsche uses ZF, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, Ford and Renault use Getrag.)

Anyone know if the new C7 Corvette will have the Z06 option?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts