Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last 2 times I have had the transmission out, it was no longer than a couple of days ( exchanged my trans for other units), but this time the wait was months, during which time I started the car a few times to work on a fueling issue and also to cycle ethanol fuel out, and as good habit when a car sits for months to let it warm up from time to time. In order to do this I shifted the selector into neutral, and after each start disconected the battery (that is one rough beeping noise).

Upon getting the new built unit back I tried to put the shifter into park before installing and no joy, thought that may be due to the cable not being attached to the brackets so it just wouldn't pull forward. I installed the trans, attached the brackets top and side, installed the little clip on the side (this bracket is oriented correctly, flange facing back, as it was when removed) and never connected the cable to the linkage (as I think the trans was shipped in park), but alas still no joy.

I found one other thread on the topic and that was an issue with cable being bent or mis-routed, both of which I have ensured is not the problem in my case, the cable moves smoothly when pushed or pulled from the ball cup which attaches to the trans and I am sure its routed under the e-brake line just as it was before it was removed (as there is actually a wear mark on the paint where it rides).

At this point the car knows the shifter is in neutral and registers reverse on the display properly but seems to physically not be able to shift up into park, I am sure I'm not the first person to run into this but some help on the solution would be appreciated, I'm ready to get this thing going again.

·
Super Moderator
9,137 Posts
With the cable disconnected does the lever on the trans shift smoothly?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so I have this fixed but I want to be a good steward and put a solution in the thread.

Wicked, I never connected the cable to the trans lever, just mounted it in the 2 places it goes, so that wasn't the issue, but the lever did move fine in any case.

The solutions was actually to have someone pull the cable on the end where it connects to the trans (I suppose actually hooking it to the trans may have worked) while I was in the car and shifted it to park, there is some kind of racheting mechanism in the shifter than needs to have tension on the cable to be able to go into park.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts