Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what your experiences were with running an AAM intake without a Cobb?

Any issues with MAF sensors, running lean, or error codes?

According to AAM it will run just fine without Cobb AP. Please share first hand experiences (not guesses) please

Thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
I ran the Cobb 2.75" intake without a tune for quite a while without any negative issues that I am aware of.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gotcha...thanks for reply...I was curious if the AAM intake worked the same without a CObb AP installed.

·
Super Moderator
8,960 Posts
Same here.......noticed idle wasn't as smooth but very close to what it was before the AAM intakes.....

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool...I think I'm going to go with the AAM intake. Just wanted to make sure I could drive with it temporarily before my Cobb AP and tune.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think I would benefit from a 3" My only mods are exhaust, mid pipe. (Maybe Downpipes and intake soon)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
The 2.75" will work now but as you turn up the boost with custom tune even without downpipe, your mass air sensor will max out (4.91v). Many tuners don't tell the user. Going to 3" piping, you can keep the voltage to 4.6x v, compare to 5.06v on a 2.75" Cobb intake. So if you plan to mod more, you will need to spent the money again. You won't be able to drive it with 3" intake unless with tune (which is one of your requirement).

I don't think I would benefit from a 3" My only mods are exhaust, mid pipe. (Maybe Downpipes and intake soon)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting..I would've thought that running a larger intake diameter would require the mass air sensor to max out quicker (more airflow) than the 2.75 inch?

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
Interesting..I would've thought that running a larger intake diameter would require the mass air sensor to max out quicker (more airflow) than the 2.75 inch?
A MAF sensor measures airspeed.
The higher the airspeed, the higher the MAF voltage.
When you install a larger intake tube....like a 3"..... the airspeed slows down for a given amount of volume....when measuring a 3" at the same air volume as a 2.75", the 3" will exhibit lower airspeed equaling a lower MAF voltage.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
very interesting I thought MAF somehow indirectly measured air mass not speed. Now this makes sense (Bernoulli's principle).
Well this being the case I think I'll just wait till I get a Cobb AP , Dps and ready to tune it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
very interesting I thought MAF somehow indirectly measured air mass not speed. Now this makes sense (Bernoulli's principle).
Well this being the case I think I'll just wait till I get a Cobb AP , Dps and ready to tune it.
Thats a good idea. You wont gain much power from a intake if the car is not tuned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.