Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2015 with 7700 over the weekend from an out of state Nissan dealer. I asked for a service print out to see when the original in service date was and it showed 9-24-14. So I figured I would get the 12k/12 month POS service done. Before the car gets put away for winter.

Just to be clear the service should include the following.

- Alignment
- Clutch Relearn
- Top off fluids
- Oil Change (was already done back in June)
- Loaner

Is there anything else that I'm missing? If there is please let me know so I can present everything to the dealer. I live in Utica,NY which is between Albany and Syracuse. There are 2 GTR certified dealers by me and it happens to be in those 2 cities. Has anyone had any previous experiences with Lia Nissan or Burdick Nissan?

I called both dealers to talk to them about POS service and they didn't really know anything. They actually asked me what that service even is.

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Just picked up a 2015 with 7700 over the weekend from an out of state Nissan dealer. I asked for a service print out to see when the original in service date was and it showed 9-24-14. So I figured I would get the 12k/12 month POS service done. Before the car gets put away for winter.

Just to be clear the service should include the following.

- Alignment
- Clutch Relearn
- Top off fluids
- Oil Change (was already done back in June)
- Loaner

Is there anything else that I'm missing? If there is please let me know so I can present everything to the dealer. I live in Utica,NY which is between Albany and Syracuse. There are 2 GTR certified dealers by me and it happens to be in those 2 cities. Has anyone had any previous experiences with Lia Nissan or Burdick Nissan?

I called both dealers to talk to them about POS service and they didn't really know anything. They actually asked me what that service even is.
Ok, because of your last sentence, I advise you to be prepared for ANYTHING. I'm expecting the worse, but hoping for the best for you. I don't recall a loaner ever being a part of the deal, but I could've missed that in the manual.

Speaking of the owner's manual, bring the owner's manual with you. I cannot overstate this. Aside from what you listed, they are supposed to perform engine bank balancing as well. Oil change is not covered. The owner's manual very clearly states what is to be performed, and it also very clearly states the POS is performed free of charge (to you). They bill Nissan for it.

The most important thing (if there is such a thing) on these POS's, is the alignment. If they don't know what they're doing, and they very likely don't, they can royally screw your alignment up causing you to have to replace your tires in as few as a couple of thousand miles from now. A month or so ago, a guy posted a thread about how is alignment got screwed up so bad, that he was literally miles from a catastrophic component failure due to the dealer's inability to correctly do their job.

There are 3 alignment setups for you to choose from when you get a POS done. Street, track, and one other one that I can't remember right now. The track setting will obliterate your tires in about 3,000 miles, but is very effective on the track. Most guys opt for street due to the favorable camber settings, and longer lasting tires.

I've attached a snapshot of the part of the owner's manual that talks about the POS. One last thing, ensure that the dealership you're taking your car to, has a certified GTR tech available to do the job. Not all Nissan dealerships have one. Technically, they are the only people allowed to touch your car, that includes driving it from the parking lot into the bay. Be very wary of joyrides, too. To curb this, I always tell the service advisor that if driving the car is necessary, I will be in the passenger seat.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually made appointments to both dealers so if one screws ups I will go to the other. I'm gonna get there early and talk to the service manager to make sure he knows the deal.

The alignment is the most important thing for me as well. The car had 7700 miles on it when I picked it up and the rear tires were shot. They were down to 3/32 so that's borderline with passing safety inspection. I'm gonna opt for the street setting when they align the car.

Friday morning I have an appointment in Syracuse at Burdick Nissan. I'm hoping everything goes as planned. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I'm up in ottawa but syracuse is only a few hours south. You ever up near watertown or ogdensburg?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
No sorry I'm never out by Watertown. I think I've only been there 2 times in 20 years. I wonder how many people have GTRs upstate
damn :(. If your ever going for a nice drive around upstate let me know! May be game

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Does anyone know if dealers care if you go in for POS service w/ mods
"mods" is a vague term, for the most part though, dealers are pretty cool with them. If your car is tuned though, they will be able to tell, and they will annotate it on your car's history. I have an intake and a midpipe and my dealership is absolutely fine with it. If anything breaks under warranty period, they have to be able to prove that your installed modification led to the failure of said part.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
+1, I was stationed up there and depending on the season, it's the most beautiful driving I think I've experienced. The Adirondacks are absolutely breathtaking.
Got any recommended roads? Planning on doing a mt washington trip next year, so i've started doing some research on some good roads on the way there and just in general as its not that far from where i live!

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Man, I moved to Alabama back in May of 2012 so I don't remember the road names at all. However, you can't go wrong with the areas surrounding Old Forge, and/or basically anything in the vicinity of the Adirondack Mountains. This is one of the best times to do it as well, because of the scenery (barring any snow or ice, of course).

EDITED for a spelling error

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Man, I moved to Alabama back in May of 2012 so I don't remember the road names at all. However, you can't go wrong with the areas surrounding Old Forge, and/or basically anything in the vicinity of the Adriondack Mountains. This is one of the best times to do it as well, because of the scenery (barring any snow or ice, of course).
my car's going away this weekend sadly :(. But thanks for the heads up, Ill put it on the list of things to do next summer during our mt washington gtr trip! Thanks man

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Yes absolutely, summer time is perfect. I just realized you're in Canada; dude you should have a plethora of amazing spots to choose from. That country is flat-out gorgeous. Also, I spelled it wrong, it's "Adirondack" Mountains.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Burdick Nissan did my 1000 mile check. Tech was very knowledgeable about work required. Service writers don't see many GTRs, so are not always in the loop.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Burdick Nissan did my 1000 mile check. Tech was very knowledgeable about work required. Service writers don't see many GTRs, so are not always in the loop.
Yes I brought mine to Burdick for the 12k/1 yr POS. They sorta knew the procedure. Didn't get to talk to the tech they seem pretty busy the day I came in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts