Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To preface this post, please understand that I live in Mexico. The highest octane that I have available to me out here is 91 and even with that, what actually comes out of the pump is a crapshoot. There is no E85 out here and race gas is extremely difficult to come by. Even if you do find it, there's no consistency to when it will and won't be available.

With that all being said, I'm seriously looking into using methanol since this is something that is very easy to come by down here with the understanding that it is highly corrosive and extra care will need to be taken to ensure that it's not sitting in the lines, clogging the injectors, etc. I've read all the posts that advise against using it on the R35 platform but simply due to my circumstances I think it at least warrants a look into what could be done to maximize its efficacy and minimize potential catastrophic damage.

Apart from making my own ethanol I really don't know what other options I have available to me and the quality of gas is a serious problem out here to the point I wouldn't trust a tune on 91 octane because it's highly doubtful I'd ever actually be seeing that from the pumps.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 Bayside Blue
34 Posts
Man, I was going to make a funny comment based on your title but after reading your post, you need serious advice. Unfortunately, I have nothing for you other than wishing you luck. I hope someone can chime in and help. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I'll take a look into the AEM kit and also saw T1 has a kit as well. I'll order something this coming year and see what happens and keep the thread updated if anybody's interested.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you can't find methanol you can try just water, but 50/50 water/methanol is recommended. I would contact Nostrum Energy/Nostrum Performance and see where they are on their water injection system for the R35. They had a demo car for it but I've yet to see them actually get something to market. It is much more advanced than the AEM system. If I had to pick among the existing water injection systems on the market the only choice would be Aquamist.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
To preface this post, please understand that I live in Mexico. The highest octane that I have available to me out here is 91 and even with that, what actually comes out of the pump is a crapshoot. There is no E85 out here and race gas is extremely difficult to come by. Even if you do find it, there's no consistency to when it will and won't be available.

With that all being said, I'm seriously looking into using methanol since this is something that is very easy to come by down here with the understanding that it is highly corrosive and extra care will need to be taken to ensure that it's not sitting in the lines, clogging the injectors, etc. I've read all the posts that advise against using it on the R35 platform but simply due to my circumstances I think it at least warrants a look into what could be done to maximize its efficacy and minimize potential catastrophic damage.

Apart from making my own ethanol I really don't know what other options I have available to me and the quality of gas is a serious problem out here to the point I wouldn't trust a tune on 91 octane because it's highly doubtful I'd ever actually be seeing that from the pumps.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.
Is octane your only concern with the gasoline, or is there something else as well? What type of issues are you having with the fuel?

You could pre-filter your fuel if you think it's contaminated, and yes the use of octane boosters and/or injector cleaners may be a good idea. We make one, and I am sure there are others on the market.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can't find methanol you can try just water, but 50/50 water/methanol is recommended. I would contact Nostrum Energy/Nostrum Performance and see where they are on their water injection system for the R35. They had a demo car for it but I've yet to see them actually get something to market. It is much more advanced than the AEM system. If I had to pick among the existing water injection systems on the market the only choice would be Aquamist.
Thanks, I went to their website but they didn’t have info on it so I might send them an email.

Aquamist seems to be the system of choice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is octane your only concern with the gasoline, or is there something else as well? What type of issues are you having with the fuel?

You could pre-filter your fuel if you think it's contaminated, and yes the use of octane boosters and/or injector cleaners may be a good idea. We make one, and I am sure there are others on the market.
I’m not really having problems with the gas per se other than the low octane making the car more knock prone especially when modding it and wanting to increase the boost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts