Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still trying to decide what to pick up for my next, "ultimate car" (relatively speaking, in my case, not being a millionaire, lol), and time and time again I still end up with the GT-R being the top pick. And that's not a bad thing in any way, being a former GT-R owner. But lately I've been checking out Vipers and would like to hear opinions about it: the drivability, performance, comfort, technology, interior, audio, intangibles, etc. I know this would never be a vehicle to drive in the snow (as I had my GT-R the first year-and-a-half I owned it), but with proper Winter tires one should still be able to drive it year round, under good, if cold, conditions. Mind you, I can't afford the newer model Vipers, the '13's and '14's, because they are well over $100K. But I've seen a couple of '09's that really caught my eye. One of them actually listed only 112 miles, and I'm trying to figure out if the owner just drove it around the block once a week or something like that. Anyway, I would appreciate your opinions on the subject. Anyway, I think it would be a car that would be a rush to drive, and driving something like this a couple of days a week would be a good reward for the rest of the week.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Vipers are an experience. I say if you're thinking of it just do it.

But I would not recommend driving it in the snow or really cold out. All that torque will land you off roads.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vipers are an experience. I say if you're thinking of it just do it.

But I would not recommend driving it in the snow or really cold out. All that torque will land you off roads.
No plans AT ALL to drive a Viper in the snow, lol. And I wouldn't drive in the cold temps we get here in the DC area without a good Winter tire. Still, you have to respect the torque.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The GTR is a great daily car. It is an all weathers super car. I can take my kids to school due to the back seats. It's comfortable; very very quick; nice sound system; full of electronics; and TRACTION control.

Vipers are one of the most iconic American sport cars. I love my ACR because of the rawness; v10 loud exhaust; and the in your face styling. Viper drivers must respect the car, weather, and tires. If not, they will wrap their Viper around trees and light poles. GTR and Viper are totally different species.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some dealers are discounting $10k to $30k on '14 and '13 Viper.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I loved my 08 ACR, it turned heads all day. It was a blast to drive. You have to respect the car like others mentioned above or you will get yourself in trouble. If you're looking at the gen 4 vipers, I recommend an ACR. Message me if you're looking, I know a few for sale. Good luck!

·
e85 member
2,724 Posts
Vipers are cool--it's a different kind of experience. If you've already owned a GT-R, pick up a Viper just for variety and decide for yourself. You can always come back to a GT-R if something else doesn't work out.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The last cars and coffee I went to, one of the car journalist had a 2014 viper gts and he let me check out the inside. Getting in this car was a chore. I'm 6'2 and I had to do it in baby steps. The top of the seat is flush with the door seal and I was told people burn themselves on the exhaust all the time. They are impressive machines but not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The brand new '13 and '14 models are still well over $100K, much past my price range. That's why I was looking at the '09 Vipers. I like the way they, look and they are the American exotic. Is there that much a difference between that model year and the new models? Also, it sounds like this is the type of car that one must be very, very careful driving. That doesn't sound like fun to me. Not sure if I like that aspect of a performance car. When I drove my GT-R, I had it up at some high speeds (disclaimer: at the race track), but I never really felt I was going to flip it or run off of the road. Maybe some folks like to live on the edge, but I want to get home to my wife and family in one piece each day. If it's a macho thing to say, hey, I'm a real man, I drive a Viper, then it aint the car for me. More power to you if you are, lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd suggest you test drive one if you haven't already. I test drove the Viper, '13 last year and wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I have always loved the looks of the car but it was not as much fun to drive as I thought it would be. The clutch is heavy, it's very loud, if you're taller than 6'1 the head room is limited and I don't think it handles nearly as well as the GTR or even a corvette. Given you've had a GTR I think the Viper might feel like a step backwards for you.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My 2001 RT/10 is a lot of fun. It's bright yellow and is very loud with headers+exhaust, so it gets a lot more attention than the GT-R. I'd only want one as a roadster though.. It's just so much more fun without a roof. I pretty much treat it as a cruising around kind of fun weekend car. The Viper is just too fucking scary to push to its limits. I don't trust my driving skills enough to do that, aside from some spirited runs. If I want to go fast, I drive the GT-R.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The brand new '13 and '14 models are still well over $100K, much past my price range. That's why I was looking at the '09 Vipers. I like the way they, look and they are the American exotic. Is there that much a difference between that model year and the new models? Also, it sounds like this is the type of car that one must be very, very careful driving. That doesn't sound like fun to me. Not sure if I like that aspect of a performance car. When I drove my GT-R, I had it up at some high speeds (disclaimer: at the race track), but I never really felt I was going to flip it or run off of the road. Maybe some folks like to live on the edge, but I want to get home to my wife and family in one piece each day. If it's a macho thing to say, hey, I'm a real man, I drive a Viper, then it aint the car for me. More power to you if you are, lol.
just wait and put an order on a z06.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I try to keep an open mind and in general like cars from all genres (old and new, domestic and import). While I'm sure the Viper has a certain fun factor, like a go-kart, it's a very hard car for me to actually "respect". Just seems like the brute force, caveman approach to everything. Power and torque via 8.4 liters. Traction via 355 tires. And then factor in Chrysler's 30 years of being on the brink of bankruptcy/death and the quality that has produced and yeah, just not a car that catches my interest. I did always love the way a blue/white GTS looked. But that's about it...

·
Registered
508 Posts
The C7 Z06 will be a better performing car... However, I just can't get over the fact that I see a Corvette literally every few minutes during the summer. I saw five C7s in less than three hours of driving on the first nice weekend of the year. They do look nice, no doubt.. I just think that if you're not going to be racing, and you're just looking for a fun car; I'd sacrifice a little bit of performance for fun/exclusivity. A Porsche in that price range would be a more fun experience. That's just my opinion though. Obviously, there are plenty of Vette owners out there, and they all disagree.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate all the great comments. Whether I buy another GT-R, or a Viper, it would be a car that I would drive once or twice during the week, and only in fair weather, plus on the weekend. I don't have a long comment, but there is one stretch of it where traffic can back up for five or 10 minutes. I'll have to experience the situation with the clutch pedal. It can get really tiring having to push your leg up and down, while in stop and go traffic. On the other hand, the Viper is kind of the American exotic, and I really like the look. But I'm still on the fence about the raw power. To me that's kind of like the appeal of the Shelby Mustang GT500. Lots and lots of power, but disbursed via big hammer method. And you're right, Dexterkatt, there IS nothing like a GT-R.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.