Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a GTR sometime early next year but I can't get myself to sell my Evo. Have too many projects so the Evo would have to go to make some room.

Now I realize the GTR is a superior car and much more powerful but people with experience how does it drive compared to an evo?

Clearly the GTR is faster but what about all around driving experience?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2,720 Posts
Now I realize the GTR is a superior car and much more powerful but people with experience how does it drive compared to an evo?

Clearly the GTR is faster but what about all around driving experience?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
I still use my EVO IX as a daily driver and sold my 91 NSX to buy the GTR early last year. The answer will be relative to the mods you have done to the IX. In my case the EVO is much more raw and more like driving a race car running 35psi on pump gas with a straight 3.5" exhaust. Although the GTR makes just slightly more hp on pump gas it does so effortlessly and doesn't sound like all hell is breaking loose to do so like the EVO. From a handling perspective, my modded EVO handles better than the stock suspension GTR, but that is to be expected. There is also something to be said for being able to bang through the gears, but if I had to give up one or the other I would keep the GTR.

· Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm coming from an Evo X. The X feels a bit more nimble, but lacks a ton of things that the GTR excels at: Braking, acceleration, a very effective and reliable launch control, a modern and semi sophisticated interior, etc. The GTR is much nicer and better at basically everything. I mean, it costs 2-3x more in most cases. Would be nice to own both, as they do have similarities. But as others have said, the Evo's/Sti's feel like toys compared to the GTR

· Registered
2,507 Posts
As a daily driver on the streets, the GTR is by far the better car because of the comfort features and nicer interior. As far as the driving experience on the street, they are about equal IMO. Both cars have enough power and turn great and you will not be able to explore the limits of either cars ON THE STREETS to make a substantial difference in this regard.

On the other hand, if you care about road course/autox, the difference is more apparent. Stock for stock, the GTR will be better and faster in general, but the Evo makes you work a little harder at the wheels and feels more like a race car. Evo does not have the same technology in the drivetrain as the GTR does, so the driving experience is more mechanical and you will feel you are more "in control" and maybe a bit more fun.

I can't say I love my GTR more than my Evo. For the road course, GTR all the way if I want to just go as fast as I can. For tighter stuff like autox, I prefer the Evo because it is lighter and quicker. I fall in love with either one whenever I drive them. But when time has come (other than financial reasons)that I must sell one, the Evo will go first.

Also, my Evo sounds better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using GT-R Life mobile app

· Registered
280 Posts
I've owned Evo 5, Evo 6 (still have that one) and Evo 8. You can't really compare them with a GT-R, it's a different concept (GT compared to rally).

IMHO a GT-R is a step up from any Evo because it is more of a complete package. Just don't expect a GT-R to give you the same driving experience on a mountain road as the Evo. Both are ridiculously fast and fun, but the Evo weighs a lot less and the 4WD and steering allow you to be a lot more playful going through tight combinations. The Evo offers more ride height and suspension travel - I seem to constantly be scraping something on the GT-R when driving in remote mountain areas. That said, if I could only have one, I'd keep the R35. If you can own both, you have the best cars ever to come out of Japan and the perfect car to hand for almost any drive you could go on.

· Registered
2,507 Posts
If you can own both, you have the best cars ever to come out of Japan and the perfect car to hand for almost any drive you could go on.
I agree with everything you have said until this.:p

I always ask myself why own two AWD cars. Should sell one and get something like a S2000/RX7/NSX. :D

· Registered
220 Posts
I agree with everything you have said until this.:p

I always ask myself why own two AWD cars. Should sell one and get something like a S2000/RX7/NSX. :D

I own a GTR, STI and S2000.

Why did I kept my STI? like someone else said, I like banging gears lol. The GTR does everything better, But sometimes I need to drive manuals. The s2000 is my track car, I barely drive it on the streets.

· Registered
241 Posts
I bought my gtr online before ever even test driving a gtr. I still have my Evo and have no plans to get rid of it but only because I've dumped a ton of money into it but since I've gotten the gtr I hardly even think about the Evo unless I'm going to the drag strip

· Registered
5,562 Posts
Owned:

Evo VIII
Evo VIII MR
Evo IX MR

The GT-R is all around a better car. The only exception is back seat room.

It's clear on the interior that for the VIII and IX that it's a $20,000 econobox that they threw $15,000 of upgrades on.

The GT-R is built from the ground up as a total ass kicking Japanese supercar.

Jeremy Clarkson said it best when he compared - "I just got done driving an EVO, and I couldn't believe that this would be worth twice as much. But, it is..."

Shawn

· Registered
2,507 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson said it best when he compared - "I just got done driving an EVO, and I couldn't believe that this would be worth twice as much. But, it is..."

Shawn
For the record, that was against the Evo X, so this probably goes down to one time as we know the IX is better than the X.

· Registered
622 Posts
I own a GTR, STI and S2000.

Why did I kept my STI? like someone else said, I like banging gears lol. The GTR does everything better, But sometimes I need to drive manuals. The s2000 is my track car, I barely drive it on the streets.
This is wild - THAT is my exact set of car combo I have / been through
all great cars.... all "different" and special in their own way

But yes... if I had to pick one... it would be the GTR

· Registered
821 Posts
I owned an 8, 10, and 9 (in that order). The Evo 9 was definitely my favorite...but the GTR is definitely on another level. Although I miss each of the Evos for one reason or another...I never regret making the move.

· Registered
461 Posts
I had an evo IX. You may know me or of me. Name is Mikey and I owned the world record FP Black (750whp) and FP Zero (815whp). If not, I'm all over evom. I also worked for Spec-Ops Motorsports for a few years.

I gave the evo to the shop when I left as it was one of the shop/drag cars and I wanted it to stay in the shop family. To sum it all up, I missed my Evo more than anything in this world! Good thing my wife doesn't have an account here... Anyways, I missed it until the day I purchased my GTR and I haven't looked back at all. The two cars are more different than you could imagine. My Evo at 800+whp was like driving a rapped ape on kill 24/7. It was loud, raw, invigorating, and I loved everything about it but the no cruise control. The GTR however, is timeless and elegant and hard to explain... it makes power easily and it's drivable at power levels the EVO only dreamed of. The GTR is heavier and more planted providing a very stable and driver centric feel without all the issues the EVO had. I don't have to worry about the triple plate when I'm stuck at a light on a steep hill, or the cops for that matter. My GTR is very loud and exotic sounding and cops give me thumbs up. Not harassing like the EVO seemed to drawl.

Bottom line: I wish I made the switch years ago. The GTR is like no other car I've driven and I've been in my fair share of cars including exotics. The only negative is the DCT vs a 5 speed like the EVO. However, the downshifting rev match of the GTR and lighting fast gear changes will make you hard and your passenger wet! I may get another EVO, as the wife and I have talked about it, but only because it's the only manual awd car I'd own and there isn't a gear bagging replacement for the EVO.

Do it brother!

Mikey

Sent from my SM-G900V using GT-R Life mobile app

Attachments

· Registered
5,562 Posts
Very clear that amongst the car guys who have switched, we all believe the GT-R is a much better car. But, you are on a GT-R board. Might get a different take on evolutionm.net.

That being said, the GT-R lives in a different world than the EVO. The GT-R was designed as a "supercar beater" - beat the top performance brands at performance for a lower price. The EVO was designed to take Mitsubishi rally driving. Only reason it was ever sold to the public was homologation rules. It was never really meant to be a road car. It's a cheap econobox body with a VERY VERY good drivetrain shoehorned into it. And, really good brakes (although shitty with the solid rotors that come stock - ask me how I know as I sailed around concrete barriers at VIR due to pad outgassing on solid rotors).

They are just different worlds. But, for a car guy? The GT-R. By a mile.

Shawn

· Registered
138 Posts
Are you planning on modding the GTR? If not, don't sell your Evo.

I love my GTR, but I still regret selling my Evo 9. Evo is more raw. I'm not saying to not buy the GTR bc the GTR is a superior car. But try to keep the Evo and get the GTR. It's worth the wait.

Sent from my SM-N910T using GT-R Life mobile app

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you planning on modding the GTR? If not, don't sell your Evo.

I love my GTR, but I still regret selling my Evo 9. Evo is more raw. I'm not saying to not buy the GTR bc the GTR is a superior car. But try to keep the Evo and get the GTR. It's worth the wait.

Sent from my SM-N910T using GT-R Life mobile app
I love the evo because its so raw and i dont think i'd want to get away from that.

· Registered
198 Posts
I came from an Evo 8, when i got the evo it was so fun to drive, felt like a go cart on the street. I wanted to keep it since to me they seem rarer to find on the street than a GTR. Talking CT9A not the newer ones. Didnt have enough room in my garage though and now that I am in my 30's i wanted something saying i was older if you will. Thought about attributes my next car would need, faster, awd, turbo, and in a price range i could afford. GTR was the only car i could think of. Plus it can run 10 sec on minimal mods. So no brainer. Now that i own one, i do still want to get an evo again, but really dont miss it one bit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.