Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good pictures of the rear tow eye mount on a 2012+ or later?

Loooking to see how the mount is attsched to the rear end. Some others have been thinking about fabricating/retrofitting one to a pre 2012...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here are a few pics of mine. There was a thread at one point. I can get you intouch with the guy who designed and mounted. I believe he has a few left.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are a few pics of mine. There was a thread at one point. I can get you intouch with the guy who designed and mounted. I believe he has a few left.
Thanks, I'm looking for pics of the mount itself way inside the bumper... I think a lightweight trailer hitch fabricated to use that tow hook like pcrain did would be of use to some of us pre-2012 owners. We'd just have to figure out a way to retrofit the mount from a 2012...more or less..

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are not the best pics, but I just happen to have them on my phone. Its all part of the rear bumper reinforcement.
Thanks Eric, is that rear bumper reinforcement any different on the 2012+ vs pre-2012 ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, The 2012 and up has the rear tow hook attachment welded to the reinforcement. In the second pic you can see the block welded on to it. The 2009-2011 does not have this. If this is something you would like to add you would need the reinforcement, and both brackets for this. I think you would then need to cut some of the rear grill out so you can access this.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, The 2012 and up has the rear tow hook attachment welded to the reinforcement. In the second pic you can see the block welded on to it. The 2009-2011 does not have this. If this is something you would like to add you would need the reinforcement, and both brackets for this. I think you would then need to cut some of the rear grill out so you can access this.
So 2009-2011 do not have the reinforcement? I think my trailer guy went overkill... It cost a lot(I was in a huge rush but never used the damn trailer anyway) and adds 50lbs behind the rear wheels...grrrr. I wonder how much the 2012 bumper with reinforcement weighs vs 2009-2011...

·
Registered
174 Posts
The 2009-2011 still has the reinforcement, but it does not have the tow hook added to it, and the brackets are different so you would need the newer ones to bolt this on. As for weight you may add a pound or two with this added block., You would just need to cut the rear grill or buy the 2012 rear lower valance.

·
Flying Scotsman
88 Posts
Any reason something similar can't be welded to a a 2009 rear bumper?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Still have the hitch to screw into the tow eye mount and the tire trailer for sale.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a link for a pic from nissan. The part numbers needed are 85030-KB50A, 85211-JF50A, and 85210-JF50A. With these three parts you would just need to cut the rear mesh grill to access the tow hook mount.
SHIFTNISSANPARTS.COM
Thanks for the info. Is the 85210-JF50A not on the 2009-2011? It is a $600 part !

·
Registered
174 Posts
All these paers are on the 2009-2011, they just are a different design. The mounting brackets have a different mounting point to the reinforement. They are a bit wider. The tow hook mount in welded on to the reinforcement. When we swapped this out on a car in the shop, we had to swap out all three parts or it would not work.

·
Flying Scotsman
88 Posts
Eric, just to be super clear, am I correct in understanding that with these three 2012 parts, it's a totally bolt on job with no welding, and the original painted plastic rear end etc. will go back on the car, minus the mesh grille which will need to be removed or modified? If so that sounds like an attractive option for someone like me trying to keep the car returnable to stock.

I was considering asking Zohair about welding the / a threaded block to my existing bumper, but I am concerned that the reason Nissan changed the design of the brackets may have been for strength.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Eric, just to be super clear, am I correct in understanding that with these three 2012 parts, it's a totally bolt on job with no welding, and the original painted plastic rear end etc. will go back on the car, minus the mesh grille which will need to be removed or modified? If so that sounds like an attractive option for someone like me trying to keep the car returnable to stock.

I was considering asking Zohair about welding the / a threaded block to my existing bumper, but I am concerned that the reason Nissan changed the design of the brackets may have been for strength.
Correct, If you buy the three parts from Nissan they will all bolt on. No welding needed. The rear mesh grill is the only item I see that would need to be cut. The 2012 and up gtr have a removable cover similar to the front one. We did this on a car here, but added the rear lower trim from a 2012.

·
Flying Scotsman
88 Posts
I'm going to try this ... local GT-R mod shop is busy, but Town North Nissan is game to give it a go (I'm too chicken to take the Nissan apart myself, beyond doing brakes and such). A couple of details I am curious about:

1. It looks from the above photos like the rear lower grille on the 2012 is sloped, as opposed to the vertical flat honeycomb on my 2009, and thus a 2012 grille will not fit my bumper. If it would, I was thinking to retrofit it as well.

2. I have designed a hitch a bit fancier than the pcrain model, as I plan to pull my kart trailer (doubles as tyre trailer and foreign kid's pickup) with the GT-R, and I wanted to separate the hitch alignment from the tightening of the bolt.

3. Am I correct in assuming that the 2012+ rear towing point is the same thread as a 2009 front one? If so, am I correct in measuring the thread as M24-3.0 ?

There is a big Cars and Coffee in Austin this weekend, so I can hopefully catch one of our local 2012 owners then or before and measure this stuff with two cars side by side.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have one of a 2013 which you can weld on your rear aluminum bar. I cut it of from a 2013 in which customer wanted to see the exhaust.
This way you can place it at your discretion.

·
Flying Scotsman
88 Posts
The Boulder Nissan 3 part swap is of course long since confirmed on my 2009 GT-R, as numerous pictures of it towing my Lil' Tex LT15 can attest. Thanks again Eric!

·
Flying Scotsman
88 Posts
I have one of a 2013 which you can weld on your rear aluminum bar. I cut it of from a 2013 in which customer wanted to see the exhaust.
This way you can place it at your discretion.
IMHO you need to use the uprated brackets too. Although rdt's generous offer would get you by with a small tire trailer, mine is not small, and I see no reason not to use the GT-R to haul lumber back from Lowe's and in fact I did so last week

1 - 20 of 20 Posts