Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey guys! Thinking about going FBO on 93...

Anyone have specific issues that they could share? I would rather not have anything break lol. I have modded a bunch of my cars but I am very hesitant for some reason on this car. I work at a Nissan dealership and I was told to be "very careful" by my GTR tech. Please share the good and bad if you will on you FBO experience...

I know the tune is the most important thing...

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long has your car been modded?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
^ TSM is adding flex fuel and tuning my car soon. Can't wait. Those numbers look strong for just FBO E85 !!!

·
Banned
496 Posts
Dyno jets read high anyways chi_weezy

595/595 on a mustang numbers are about what 90% of cars make with good tuner and parts on e85 every now and then there are a few freak builds out there

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If not going flex fuel, you'll have a lot more soot to deal with on FBO.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am ok with that...I like the added sound going catless. We have only one E85 station around so it becomes a pain to get to it sometimes. I tried it with my GT500.

·
Vendor
57 Posts
Dyno jets read high anyways chi_weezy

595/595 on a mustang numbers are about what 90% of cars make with good tuner and parts on e85 every now and then there are a few freak builds out there
Dynojet numbers are the only numbers that can be trusted, yes a dynojet reads higher than a Mustang with factory settings but in all the various Mustangs I've used, I've yet to come across one with factory settings. Mustang dynos read whatever the operator wants them to, in most cases the operator attempts to make them "read like a dynojet" and shoots high. Dynojet rollers have identification numbers, which are locked in the software, meaning the roller weights cannot be altered unlike a Mustang.

OP, as everyone else mentioned, you shouldn't have any issues FBO. I also do a lot of stock engine/trans GT-Rs with turbo upgrades, which seems to be just as reliable.

·
Vendor
2,775 Posts
Like you said the tune is the most important factor. Especially if your not going to be using E85, you'll be fine with a competent tuner behind the keyboard. You may notice a massive decrease in fuel mileage though from flooring it all the time though

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The only issue is going thru tanks of fuel like no tomorrow with a big grin on your face =]

·
Registered
420 Posts
There is a good chance that you'll be okay after going FBO. BUT, keep in mind that there are no promises or guarantees with a stock motor GTR. My 2012 ran great for several years on a flex fuel tune and then one day the motor decided to grenade itself. The car had been on the exact same tune for over 2 years before it decided to let go. It's a risk every FBO - stock motor guy takes pushing the car with E85. If it's any comfort, I "believe" that my car suffered a fuel pump failure or some other fuel system failure that caused the Boom (just by the way the car shuttered a mere second before throwing a rod and piston out the bottom of the motor).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you were on E85 the whole time being FBO?

·
Registered
420 Posts
The months were it was driven hard (warmer/summer months) it was on ethanol. I would run 93 octane in the car from December - April.

·
Registered
990 Posts
There is a good chance that you'll be okay after going FBO. BUT, keep in mind that there are no promises or guarantees with a stock motor GTR. My 2012 ran great for several years on a flex fuel tune and then one day the motor decided to grenade itself. The car had been on the exact same tune for over 2 years before it decided to let go. It's a risk every FBO - stock motor guy takes pushing the car with E85. If it's any comfort, I "believe" that my car suffered a fuel pump failure or some other fuel system failure that caused the Boom (just by the way the car shuttered a mere second before throwing a rod and piston out the bottom of the motor).
hope to see you with a another toy soon!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts