Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is time to do some mods. I should have 3" intakes, 2012 inlets, downpipes, catted midpipe, injectors, and an AccessPort pretty soon and I plan to install them sometime in February. I have done this type of stuff on other cars before but not on a GT-R and I am far from an experienced mechanic. Is anyone interested in helping me one weekend?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
do you have a lift? the midpipe is the only easy thing to install i see on your list. downpipes are pretty tough. i've heard the '12 inlets are a total pita. i assume you're going to have it tuned? have to for injectors right? if so, why not let cobb do the hardware installs too?

if you need any pointers for the DP install let me know. i went through the pain of the install myself a few months ago. without the right tools you won't be successful.

·
Registered
872 Posts
[sub][sub]

On a whole lot of cars, doing a whole lot of things, I would jump right in to help....On this chassis, with those upgrades, the best advice I can give you is call Joel at CNC or run down to Cobb in Portland. You will NOT enjoy yourself doing this project....

[/sub][/sub]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am talking to Cobb Surgeline about having them do all of it, I should hear back tomorrow and I will see if I want to go that route. I really like doing my own work when I can, I work on computers all day so it is fun to do hands on work once in awhile. I thought I would be able to put on a Cobb base map until I get tuned since this setup seems fairly common, but I need to look into that more.

I don't have a lift, is it really required for downpipes? I have done downpipe, midpipe, catback and transmission R&R on other cars with just jack stands. Its a pain, but not terrible. I should have most of the tools already, I was planning to read up on what is required and make sure I have everything in advance. The right tools makes it a lot easier, or actually possible. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've done the 3" gotboost intakes and installed my Cobb Accessport TopSpeed tune, but I had CNC do my mid pipe and catback install. When I do the downpipes I will probably have them do it as well as I don't want to risk breaking a stud having to drop that the motor.

If you want strip your interior down to metal I have done that a couple of times.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want strip your interior down to metal I have done that a couple of times.
That would actually be very helpful. I just ordered some B Quiet and I am planning to install that soon to quiet things down. Having someone with experience removing the interior would save a lot of time.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I am talking to Cobb Surgeline about having them do all of it, I should hear back tomorrow and I will see if I want to go that route. I really like doing my own work when I can, I work on computers all day so it is fun to do hands on work once in awhile. I thought I would be able to put on a Cobb base map until I get tuned since this setup seems fairly common, but I need to look into that more.

I don't have a lift, is it really required for downpipes? I have done downpipe, midpipe, catback and transmission R&R on other cars with just jack stands. Its a pain, but not terrible. I should have most of the tools already, I was planning to read up on what is required and make sure I have everything in advance. The right tools makes it a lot easier, or actually possible. Thanks for the feedback.
i did the DP install in my garage on race ramps. a lift is not required for any of this work, but it sure would make things easier. for the DPs you need to soak them with PB blaster the day before. to reach some of the nuts you will need a 14mm swivel socket and a lot of extensions (like 30+ inches). go slow, make sure you're fully on the nut, and pray. if you break a stud you will have a very bad day. also, finding a 14mm swivel can be a pain in the ass. i had to check 4-5 places until i found one at tool town in kirkland.

also, don't be surprised if you find any of the O2 sensors are stuck/cross threaded. i had one that was stuck and had to order a new one ($300).

·
Registered
872 Posts
When my DP's were removed, master tech busted a stud AND dropped the bits into the turbo housing. This is not a wrench job for the faint of heart. I love shady tree mechanical stuff as much as the next guy, but I do NOT recommend doing this work yourself....

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hey Icemastr let me know when you take on the sound deadening project as I am always willing to share the little GT-R knowledge I have with a fellow owner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts