Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ones on this link

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two-Piece-Rotor-Pkg-for-Nissan-GT-R-2009-11-Front-p/gtr-irk-12.htm

Seems like a good deal, save 15lbs all around oversized rotor just having a hard time deciding if these are any good? I realize they are much thinner than stock and thats how they lose weight on them, but figured I ask before I buy, I'm specially interested if someone had them for a while and what their thoughts are?

Also, what pad do you guys chose?

Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have front and rear.. I choose a different street pad and have a separate set for track.

I've not been to the track yet with these brakes as I put them on 3 weeks ago, however, that's the main reason for purchase. I've got a good friend who was running j-hooks and has moved over to RB. He's got more experience on track than I ever will - his gtr has about 650whp and he was burning through rotors here on the west coast (button willow, willow springs, Fontanna, Laguna and Infinion).

For street use they have been great so far. The bite with project mu pads is so much better than stock it's silly, coming off the brakes hard is also much better - for me however it's the now linear nature of the brake travel that I'm sold on.. 95% less noise, warms up quickly, and considerably less brake dust (a lot of this is due to pads not rotors).

My weight savings was just a little better than what they reported but I have a dba. Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Helmet Vehicle brake Sports equipment Alloy wheel Rim Bicycle part Automotive design Grey Automotive exterior Carbon

I added the brake ducts as well just because I was down there. I'm getting a new front lip with brake vents that I plan on running as well. Our car is a heavy pig, brake fade for me was happening before I hit the 10 minute mark at button willow - I'll be interested to see where I'm at now.

Nathan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks nathan,

So you didn't go with the pads they offer on their site? what brand pads did you used? is the primary use of your car street ? how much where the weight savings ? Did you purchase directly from RB

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks nathan,

So you didn't go with the pads they offer on their site? what brand pads did you used? is the primary use of your car street ? how much where the weight savings ? Did you purchase directly from RB
Went with project mu for my street pads (b-force). Yes this is primarily a street car. Plan is to limit myself to 3-4 track events a year here in California.

I lost 17.25lbs from all corners combined. Which is especially nice since I'm going from a 11k-miles used set of oem rotors/pads/hats to all new and a larger front rotor.

I didn't get them directly from RB. I got them from a vendor (speed for sale). They were pretty easy to work with.

Nathan

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ! Will be contacting them appreciate all the feedback, did you feel any dynamics change due to the lighter brakes ? I'm not sure if 17lbs is enough like the ccm brakes to feel a change

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sorry I can't tell you. I changed for lighter wheels and much lighter/stickier rubber at the same time. So I'm feeling a lot of difference but I lost a significant amount of rotational mass due to rotors/hats/pads/ and tires, plus wider contact patch and much stickier tires.. My turn in is the most significant/immediate difference.

·
Will trade patents for car parts
508 Posts
Look forward to seeing how the new rotors hold up at the track. Really nice weight savings at the corners!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts