Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 1 month of ownership and 1,200 miles I have come to realize the Automatic option is almost useless. Other than extended highway driving does anyone use Auto mode ? I find myself using the manual mode 99% of the time. Today in 6th gear in auto mode when exiting the highway the tranny would not down shift out of 6th until the speedo read 29 miles per hour.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
use auto on the work drive, but it changes gear at too low rpm

If I get stuck in stop start traffic I use manual mode to stop it constantly shifting 1-2-1 at low speeds with the typical gaunch

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Only on long drives where I'm at a constant speed and don't have to drop down more than 1 gear to pass someone.

Manual mode is just more fun!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I almost always use auto, it is a lot smoother with the Cobb LC4 in shifts 1-2-1. Downshifting is also earlier with the Cobb.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use auto most of the time for my daily commute. I'm a big advocate of having the dichotomy in the sense that when I drive 90% of the time like a normal human being in auto mode, with the suspension to "comfort" then I'm in a fast car that's useable and comfortable. But when I'm ready to race or have some fun then I go to the R's and switch to manual mode with my paddles and I have a completely different car. I sort of felt the same way with the M/Power button in my M6 and the Sport button in my turbo.

·
I like turtles!
180 Posts
lol yeah I get a kick out of auto mode, 6th gear at 35 miles per hour. I actually don't mind auto mode from a functionality standpoint, the auto mode on my '12 is soooo much better than the auto mode in my Gallardo even if it does upshift way early. In the Gallardo it's completely useless, it has no idea when to shift, it will do it suddenly at a stupid time and bounce your head off the head rest because the shifting is so much slower, but in the GT-R if I want to talk on the phone or fiddle with the radio, I know I can put it in auto mode and cruise for a bit with no surprises even if it is going to change gears; it's just much smoother. That's the only time I use it though, I'm in manual most of the time simply because I find it much more fun.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
im going to drag strip first time this weekend

should i be using auto mode instead of manual

manual upshifts at redline anyway

·
Founder/Admin
26,259 Posts
im going to drag strip first time this weekend

should i be using auto mode instead of manual

manual upshifts at redline anyway
i would use it the first run or two to sort of set your self a baseline time... then mess around with manual to see if you can improve...

R mode of course

·
10' Super SIlver
2,319 Posts
does it auto upshift at redline? Sorry for the dumb question? I have not even driven my car yet all I do is read NAGTROC. Just took delivery yesterday and am living through my Dad and Brother. They only put 12 miles on it to get it registered and now it is going in to storage for a couple of months.

·
I like turtles!
180 Posts
I think I read in the manual that it will not auto upshift in R mode manual shifting.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I'm auto most of the time when away from the track. On the track it is manual only.

·
Caretaker of GODZIRA!
2,679 Posts
Auto mode sucks balls unless my hands are otherwise occupied, which is 1% of the time. It sucks slightly less when in R Auto.

·
Registered
146 Posts
and it will only upshift in manual in normal mode 1st and 2nd gear only
Interesting, my 2009 will upshift in any gear when in manual & normal mode.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.