Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched episode 1 season 1 when ever it came out a year or so back and I absolutely hated it... however a few days ago discovery channel had a season 2 marathon going on, and I actually made it through 2 full episodes. One was an Alaska wilderness episode similar to Top Gear UK and one of their many epic trips.... it was actually sorta funny and it seems like the hosts are getting some report built up together.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I watch it to support Rut, who is a local car enthusiast and has been a member of our local import forum since 2002 with 5,000+ posts there.

Over all I enjoy the show for the most part but it still isn't the UK version. I do think over time, if given the chance the hosts will come into their own and the show will get even better.

·
hyprpwrphtgrphy.com
2,201 Posts
The more recent episodes haven't been that awkward. Not as painful to watch. Still have nothing on the UK cinematography though.

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
still rubbish. It is hard to watch an entire episode where they don't even "test" any cars. It is improving but not there yet, IMO.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
hate them all. liked the car show better and that was hard to watch not to mention canceled now.

i wish people wouldn't support such bad tv so this crap stays off tv and they put out only good car tv that people will watch.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
still rubbish. It is hard to watch an entire episode where they don't even "test" any cars. It is improving but not there yet, IMO.
Yeah, I don't get that...

If you have the cars, let Tanner run them around the circuit! Run the 1/4 mile. Test the brakes, etc... Review the damn things. Something about drifting a bus??? Who gives a shit?!!!

I've tried to give this show a try, I just can't get into it.

They had an epic collection of old and new Muscle cars. No reviews. Some stupid comparison about driving in a parking lot with a TEMS unit strapped to their bodies... What a waste of time.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Its called entertainment. There enough car review shows around. Let them do their thing. Oh news flash Top Gear UK is all about entertainment as well. The US show may not have the rapport the guys on the British show has. Oh British TV is always better
so dont think they can match them on that. Take show for what it is. They are not that bad....

oh PS: Most car review shows that are just about reviewing a car is as entertaining as watching paint dry...

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
top gear UK don't review cars lol. it sorta does but its not like motortrend. its purely entertaining. and top gear usa just tries to copy UK version which is horrible to do and usa version is not entertaining. not season 1 or 2.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
top gear UK don't review cars lol. it sorta does but its not like motortrend. its purely entertaining. and top gear usa just tries to copy UK version which is horrible to do and usa version is not entertaining. not season 1 or 2.
You know that the US show's producer is the same producer as does the UK show right? As in the same creative control. Its a copy, because that is what they are trying to do.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Wow--lots of hate for a decent, entertaining little program.

No testing? Uh... They have a US Stig that's very capable shoe, testing around a good course with multiple elements. The data is valid as long as the weather conditions are fairly similar (it's Southern, CA...).

I guess I'm going against the grain--I enjoy it--sorry.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
lol its easy to say that i know. that's what alot of people say and they wonder why they get called bad entertainment or fail or get canceled etc. not saying i know better.

but i want to come to LA soon maybe next year.

·
Founder/Admin
26,233 Posts
i watch the show and i think the guys are pretty cool and im sure would be nice to hang out and talk cars with... also they are doing what they can with the material.... the issue i have with it is.... in the way its presented... if it wasnt called top gear if it was just a new car show on history then sure its inline with what you would see on cable TV on a weekly basis and taking it for what it is...it would be something that peope who enjoy cars can tune into weekly...

but the fact that its labeled top gear and they mimic the same challenges and gags it comes off as redundant and lesser to anyone who has seen jeremy and the guys do the same thing.... like the limo challege and picking stars up thats an exact copy of UK top gear .... when they do try to break away they do like pick up trucks and overly american stereotypes that i think try to appeal to people who watch the larry the cable guy show lol.... i have to assume most who watch the USA version are fans of the UK so it just seems recycled at times and lacking the chemistry and wit of the original.... its not the hosts fault its just the way its presented you cannot help but compare the two and in that sense its set up to fail as its not the same show.... They were asked to do a show and im sure they have fun doing it and power to them i'll give them an hour of my week thats not the issue.... i just think it was doomed from the get go to live up to what most wanted it to be....

·
Bulldogmike
678 Posts
Agreed MC. Doomed before leaving the start finish.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Wow--lots of hate for a decent, entertaining little program.

No testing? Uh... They have a US Stig that's very capable shoe, testing around a good course with multiple elements. The data is valid as long as the weather conditions are fairly similar (it's Southern, CA...).

I guess I'm going against the grain--I enjoy it--sorry.
So do I. I watch it not expecting them to copy the Jeremy and his crew. They are being themselves

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
GTB - Agreed. Top Gear UK and US both do reviews/performance, etc... UK gives driving impressions, US does not. They laugh about the color of a pant job, do some really dumb crap. Some of both versions are entertaining, but the US just doesn't stop. If I were to get 3 old versions of muscle cars, I'd race THOSE.

Is anybody trying to say that Top Gear UK doesn't do track runs, driving impressions, top speed runs, 1/4 mile drag races, etc...? I'd argue against this.

Top Gear US is not given a chance to become more than it is. Whether or not it was doomed from the beginning is debatable, depending on whether or not it is produced well. We've learned it is not.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts