Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Went from 2009 Z06 to 2010 GTR to 2010 ZR1 Kept it for about 8 months and hated the PTM and launch control system on the car, also after I had the car tuned the car kept shutting down at 4k RPM even if I had my right foot to the floor, and even with all nannies "turned off", I then had a tuner go in and disable all the nannies and it stopped doing that, but could never get it to launch right on street tires, and couldn't find drag radials for the rear 20s, and really did not want to invest in custom forged wheels to fit the huge carbon brakes, so in the end the GTR is a better car overall and is more consistent .... I recently bought a 2012 Black Edition... and never looked back!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had both a 2009 zr1 and a 2011 zr1, both heavily modified so its hard to compare to a stock GTR....My 2012 is now pretty much a full bolt on car with jack cecil tune. I love both cars, i cant say i like one better than the other. They both do some things better than the other...As for all out highway hashing ill take my zr1 that made 700/717 all day...As for dd, the gtr is the car of choice for ripping around town and extremely fun light to light as you would figure. Like anything else there are both pros and cons to each..i guess its all in what you want. Good Luck

·
Registered
422 Posts
No experience with the ZR1, but I had a supercharged '07 Aston Martin Vantage with 625+ hp, which is a very similar car in many respects to the ZR1. The GTR is a much better DD in almost every way. It's easier to drive, much better in the rain, faster in all situations (now that I have a midpipe/tune), the electronics are much better and always work, I can park it anywhere without having to worry about it, the doors actually lock, it's more confidence inspiring and tossable, gets better gas mileage and has a longer range, and the shorter overhang means it doesn't scrape the front going in and out of parking lots and driveways, so I don't have to plan out which parking lot entrance I will use whenever I go out. I could drive it every day, but I don't.

What I miss are the sounds it makes...the GTR is sounding pretty good with the midpipe but still no match for a good V8, and some aspects of the interior, especially the leather seats. The interior is not as much of a step down as you might think, though. The only really glaring omission on my '11 is the black plastic AC panel, which was easily fixed with a carbon overlay. And that Vantage is a looker, too, but I have to say I really Iike the looks of the GTR, especially in red. Other pluses for the Vantage are much better paint quality, more solid feel of the doors, and hood struts (which are available in the aftermarket but I still don't understand why Japanese cars never have these). The 6-speed was good but I prefer the dual-clutch and paddles. That's all I can really think of.

·
Registered
577 Posts
ZR1- I have never giggled in a car before until I drove one. Doing a final QC check after building one, I was lugging along in 6th gear I rolled into the throttle and the rear of the car would gently and controably step out. I've not been in a car that could snap the rear so quickly and controably, It handles well, brakes very well. At the end of the day though- I did not feel like I was sitting in a super car. All the money went into the drivetrain and left nothing to finish the interior.

GT-R - Still amazes me. We have built every level of GT-R and they respond to everything you ask like it was made to do it. It's pure tech and science and can serve as a real daily driver where the ZR-1 Can't do that.

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Vette guy here...

Haven't had new ZR yet, but 2 C6 Z06s (both bolt-on modded), countless C5s & my trusty old ZR-1 warhorse.

As stated above, the GT-R just does everything so well--an all-around superstar.

I'd like to get a new ZR, but my wife said to make a choice between it or keeping GT-R. The GT-R stays...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.