Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am giving consideration to a 2021 GTR at one of the local dealers to me. Given this is likely to be the last year for the R35, at least here in Canada, I wanted to try and get into a new GTR. I have owned 2 previous used ones but always wanted to have one from the factory. I found a 2021 Premium that is en route and fully expected to pay MSRP on the car given the current markets. I was surprised to have the dealer now also charging a $5000 mark up for some vague reasons about wholesalers and car flippers. They also now tack on a $500 admin fee even though they used to be a no fee dealership. To make it worse, they are indicating that Nissan Canada requires financing through them at a minimum of $50K and that I must hold that loan for 10 months. I have never had a car purchase experience like this, not sure if this common place across all brands these days or if this particular dealer is just being greedy. Anyone in Canada recently dealt with a new purchase have something similar?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not at this point. As far as I can gather this one of the only local dealers who made purchases for this round of cars. They are probably the biggest in my province. In the grand scheme of things and extra 5K is nothing on a car that is already 145k Canadian. It's more the principal of them being openly greedy.

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
5,962 Posts
Just a couple quick points.

All CDN dealerships have an ‘admin’ fee or doc fee or whatever they want to call it on brand new vehicles. If they advertise that they have none, its because they have worked it into the selling price of the vehicle. (Used vehicles, depending on the dealership, most times do not have this admin/doc fee and they do advertise that)
So don’t be fooled. Admin / doc fee plus the AMVIC fee, air conditioning fee and tire tax is all standard across Canada.

The 5k mark up above MSRP… yes this has been done before. In 2008 when the GTR was launched, some dealers were charging 10k over MSRP. Their reasoning ranged from but not limited to; The cost of the mandatory new shop tools required to work on the GTR‘s Including a new more precise wheel alignment machine plus the cost of training for one or two certified GTR Technicians which took place in Vegas. All of this was to be in place prior to allocations of the 2009.

As for financing. Yes this is becoming more common place. Even with GMC and Chevy due to the sheer numbers of used trucks being sold to the US market. I’ve been informed that GM is financing at a minimum 12 month period. But to each heir own.

Best of luck!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I walked away from the offer. Just to many insane things, couldn’t trust the dealer. The thing that pushed me over the top was the mandatory financing at 7.3% at a minimum of 50k with no pay off option for 10 months. Ridiculous.
I could have lived with the mark up even though I didn’t want to pay it but the financing greed was too much. Might come to regret the decision down the line but couldn’t deal with them.

·
Registered
2022 Mexico Blue M4 Comp xDrive
340 Posts
Yeah I walked away from the offer. Just to many insane things, couldn’t trust the dealer. The thing that pushed me over the top was the mandatory financing at 7.3% at a minimum of 50k with no pay off option for 10 months. Ridiculous.
I could have lived with the mark up even though I didn’t want to pay it but the financing greed was too much. Might come to regret the decision down the line but couldn’t deal with them.
You and I know that the GTR is a great machine. But for me, the way Nissan dealership conduct business, was the reason I looked into other options the second time I was in the market for a sports car. I've said it before, forcing a budget car maker to sell supercars is like forcing a round peg into a round hole. I used to tell some of the sales people, "you're not selling a Versa here". Most used aggressive sales tactics and would mark up the GTR as if attempting to make up for the low sales in their other car line ups. One of the worst horror stories I have is when a Nissan dealership took $10k as a deposit for a GTR they didn't even had on their dealership. After doing a little research, I found the car at another neighboring state's Nissan dealership who did not want to transfer the car. Long story short, it took me 2 weeks to get my money back. I'd love to hear any one tell similar stories from MB, BMW, or Audi. But this is just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
9,141 Posts
I had a $5k deposit in at a BC Nissan dealership for the R35. The deposit was taken in from them well in advance of the first r35 hitting North America. They would sell each r35 to anyone that was willing to pay more regardless of the deposit they had taken from people. Finally after 18 months they said my allocation had come in and it was with an additional $5k mark up. At the same time they were advertising my allocation as available with zero mark up on Craigslist.

I sent off an email to corporate nissan in Canada asking is this how Nissan conducts business. That email found its way to the of the food chain at corporate and they laid the hammer down on that dealership and suddenly the mark up and all the bogus doc/admin fees also disappeared. After taking the car I never went back to that dealership and went to one that was more local to me that then damaged my car 3 times including my brand new rims and front lip ( they went belly up).

I personally can't stand dealerships.

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
5,962 Posts
^^^ Geezez Murphy…

·
Driver
197 Posts
Shopping for this car was not the experience I and others might expect, you might think you would be treated a little better than the average buyer, but no. I wasn't treated any better than a Sentra buyer, most dealerships wouldn't give you any info on the phone, and I got the runaround from the few that I went to in person. When I asked about this, dealers told me they get so many calls about GTRs, and that 99% of them aren't serious, so they don't bother.
I finally just decided that this was the price of admission, and found the car I wanted at the right price. The dealership I went to were real jerks, but they had the car, and it gave me great pleasure to write the check for the full price and hand it to the salesman, who thought I was just some punk chump.
This was 2019 BTW.

·
Alberta Oil & Gas
5,962 Posts
Chalk it up to… Nissan‘s first experience selling a high end car lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts