Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah we never got to enjoy the R34 and it seems that the R35 is a better car anyway. Take a read at what is going down with the R34's around the country! The Feds are snatching them up like butter! Don't get me wrong R34's are nice cars but are they truly worth all this trouble now that the r35 is here??? read below:

Someone posted this off of Zilvia on a local forum
Quote: Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx
Relaying the Info we're being told. RBMotoring and Kaizo are being questioned and investigated by the Gov:

"This week shit hit the fan in Kaizo, it's getting worse. A reliable source is filtering info down the channels that a certain turd that got caught has been spilling the beans and cooperating with agents, giving them the entire who what when where why of the deal. This goes for not only Kaizo but every other method and car, even the grandfathered Motorex cars are being inspected at RB motoring and all over. Those of you that have shipped in the past, hide it. Those of you thinking or trying to ship, don't. This shit storm is ranging from not only the sources of bringing them in but also various forums. I'd recommend people to not disclose any information regarding their vehicle or themselves, for those who have shipped before. For those who have registered their stuff in the U.S. using the JDM vins... good luck, if you havn't then I wouldn't attempt it at the moment."

"The man who owns the company "Kaizo" is Daryl, this stuff is not like the little he said she said petty shit from previous years and months. Cars at Kaizo have been seized this week as well as inventory computers, RB Motoring was paid a visit as well. Next step will be the DMV's to track the Kaizo VIN's as well as JDM VIN's for cars that didn't go through Motorex or Kaizo which is why I'm hoping to warn people ahead of time.

Put it this way, when Sean Morris starts getting phone calls about it then it's no joke, and this is that time. "

When Sean Morris (aka Tyndago/RBmotoring/Motorex) says,
"I had a call earlier today that ICE , DOT, and CARB had been at RB today doing some investigating. The investigators looked at a couple of the ex-Motorex cars, called the DOT and ended up leaving from RB. I called over to Kaizo to see what was happening over there, and I was informed that they were in the middle of it...Three cars got seized, along with records, and computers. Included in the three cars seized was the actual hero car from Fast and Furious 4. We will have to see how this plays out over the coming weeks and months."

This is the convo we're hearing from this side of the pond...just spreading the word if anybody has something that might have anything to do with this... If anyone doesnt know who Daryll is , he is the one that got the first R35 GTR in the USA from nissan north america. He was importing R34 GTRs and selling them as KAIZO cars. They had 17 digit vin numbers, etc.

Now his contention was they were unibodys so he was basically selling kit cars.

Seems the feds feel otherwise. This might be bad news for anyone with a state titled car per its JDM Vin number.
document.write('');

·
Registered
876 Posts
WOW, I mean, SHIT... how's it gonna unfold... Right about now's when I'm feeling relieved I never bought a R33 or 32.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
so does this mean that my childhood dream of getting my hands on a R32 GT-R is basically gone? any idea if it will be possibly in a few years to just import it as an antique/classic car? (the early R32s should be turning 25 in 2014 if memory serves me right)

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
so does this mean that my childhood dream of getting my hands on a R32 GT-R is basically gone? any idea if it will be possibly in a few years to just import it as an antique/classic car? (the early R32s should be turning 25 in 2014 if memory serves me right)
I am sure you can legally import one, just can't register it.

You can keep it as track car or something.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
WOW, I mean, SHIT... how's it gonna unfold... Right about now's when I'm feeling relieved I never bought a R33 or 32.
As I understand it the R33's can be legally imported and converted per Fed standards and driven on the road. It's the R32 & R34's that are the problems.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
What you want to know .... I am Sean Morris.

There are legal ways to do things, and other than legal ways to do things. There are also interpretations of the law, that are open to interpretation.

The Kaizos were imported as unibodies. No driveline. By the letter of the law, that is legal. Just parts. Now what and how and why you did that, that might cause issues.

At RB, they have all Motorex cars. Stuff that came in years ago. There are US legal R33 and R32 GT-R's.

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2009/06/ice-dot-...h-warrants.html

http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/2007/12/...e-gt-r-for.html

http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/2007/12/...-petitions.html

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
We have a US legal, Cali legal R32 at RB. It used to be Hiro from Motorex's personal car. However as you said, 1989+25 years for DOT and its exempt. Strangely enough - 21 years old for the EPA and its exempt. However for us folks in California there is no rolling year exemption. It would still need to meet emissions standards for that year of vehicle. That is possible, and I have done it before, just not that cheap.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
As I understand it the R33's can be legally imported and converted per Fed standards and driven on the road. It's the R32 & R34's that are the problems.
No one can actually do it though. Passenger side airbag was an option in 1995, so the DOT (OVSC) excluded 1995 cars. This made only 1996-1998 R33's eligible. However, since there is no approved OBD II system for R33's, then it makes it impossible to bring it into compliance in accordance with the 3520-1(EPA import document).

Anyone saying they can do it is full of it.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
What about companies like fast4wheels, who claim to have a 94 R33 for sale?
Its a 1994 GTS. I doubt its a dual passive restraint car, which is a federal requirement in 1994. Remember those seat belt mouse things ? Thats passive restraint. in 1989 drivers side became part of the FMVSS. in 1994 driver and passenger side. The manufacturers could do either of those or airbags up until 1996 when airbags became a requirement for passenger cars.

Next, it would just be an imported car as parts and then reassembled. I know the guys from Fast 4 Wheels. I know about all the people that have imported cars legally and illegally though the years.

Possesing something, like having 1/2 a kilo of cocaine on your coffee table in your living room, does not make it legal. I am sure someone has that sitting on their table somewhere, but that does not make it legal. If you get caught with anything illegal, drugs, cars, weapons, sex slaves, be prepared for the consequences.

Will the government go after you ? They have sezied cars in the past.

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2008/06/update-t...ore-seized.html
http://www.gtrusablog.com/2008/06/r32-gt-r...d-in-texas.html
http://www.gtrusablog.com/2008/01/seized-r34s-and-s15.html

·
CMD
1,130 Posts
Wow, very sad. Bigger question is... why are the feds spending time and money on going after and seizing these cars? Can't they put my tax dollars to better use?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Wow, very sad. Bigger question is... why are the feds spending time and money on going after and seizing these cars? Can't they put my tax dollars to better use?
Thats something you are going to have to ask your local representative.

I've been involved with GT-R's and importing for nearly 10 years now. I wonder to, why they even bother.

·
CMD
1,130 Posts
You've been in the GT-R importing scene for quite some time now Sean, so your thoughts...

... let's put some conspiracy theories on the roasting pit, could the driving force behind this actually be Nissan Corporation? And now, since the R35 is officially and legally released, they want even less limelight given to the questionable importation of previous models?

Thats something you are going to have to ask your local representative.

I've been involved with GT-R's and importing for nearly 10 years now. I wonder to, why they even bother.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
... let's put some conspiracy theories on the roasting pit, could the driving force behind this actually be Nissan Corporation? And now, since the R35 is officially and legally released, they want even less limelight given to the questionable importation of previous models?
Motorex was down the street from Nissan North America. Pretty literally. It was only a couple of miles away. We had some "unoffical" contact with people within Nissan. Even a few offical things.

Nissan actually got a customer list from Motorex, and they polled the US owners of the Japanese cars on the GT-R. Way back then about whether it would be a Nissan Skyline GT-R, or a Nissan GT-R. We had some direct contact with the original product planner of the R35. I want to say that Motorex helped to influence NNA to bring the GT-R to the US.

As far as conspiracy theory. In a big company there are always people that like things, and that cause problems. Most of the people that we had contact with at NNA were helpful.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Motorex was down the street from Nissan North America. Pretty literally. It was only a couple of miles away. We had some "unoffical" contact with people within Nissan. Even a few offical things.

Nissan actually got a customer list from Motorex, and they polled the US owners of the Japanese cars on the GT-R. Way back then about whether it would be a Nissan Skyline GT-R, or a Nissan GT-R. We had some direct contact with the original product planner of the R35. I want to say that Motorex helped to influence NNA to bring the GT-R to the US.

As far as conspiracy theory. In a big company there are always people that like things, and that cause problems. Most of the people that we had contact with at NNA were helpful.
Sean as usual thank you for chiming in with your vast GTR knowledge! I started to email you and ask you to chime in but I figured you would drop by and I was right! thx again!

·
Registered
876 Posts
All those years Sean going after the illegal cars and turning them in, only to lament that the feds never did anything about it, well now it's all coming to pass. Heck you even gave up on the whole thing later on, and started to support outfits like Kaizo, no Sean? Apologize if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
876 Posts
We have a US legal, Cali legal R32 at RB. It used to be Hiro from Motorex's personal car. However as you said, 1989+25 years for DOT and its exempt. Strangely enough - 21 years old for the EPA and its exempt. However for us folks in California there is no rolling year exemption. It would still need to meet emissions standards for that year of vehicle. That is possible, and I have done it before, just not that cheap.
I remember Hiro giving me a ride in his personal R32, a silver one, right? That was one fast ride, 550hp he said. So it's at RB now?

·
Registered
450 Posts
This is very unfortunate. I'm so sick of the chicken shit laws that seem to have no purpose. Also, this couldn't have happened to a better person, Daryl. I say they focus on real problems instead if this petty stuff. Maybe they can all go blow Al Gore and plant trees... This is really getting out of control!

1 - 20 of 142 Posts