Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only got a MP and tune (COBB) and using the launch control set at the stock launch rpm (4000/4100) - I'm spinning the tires a ton at the top of first gear. Now I'm going to add intakes and injectors to round out the tune and am wondering how that I'll impact my ability to launch.

I know a lot of people with built engines drag the car but I'm wondering if they have separate or tweaked launch systems. (Not talking roll racing here)... And with drag slicks and a drag track - traction is a totally different story.

At some power point does the stock launch control become unusable (street, non drag tires) or so you just keep dialing down the launch revs?

· Registered
88 Posts
I never have traction issues on the street and I'm FBO with E85 making over 560 rwhp on Mustang Dyno. The track is a bit of an adventure. What kind of tires are you running? I'm running stock sized MPSSs which is a great street tire. Try launching from 3000 or 3500 and you also might have to let some air out of your tires as they might be too high.

Sent from my SM-G925T using GT-R Life mobile app

· Registered
40 Posts
Shouldn't b an issue. I'm at FBO E85 660awhp. On 21" wheels n pirelli P zero I did a 10.6 @128 on 93octane. U will b good. Where u should start worrying to me is at 850awhp about the axles breaking. But obviously u should have a built trans n block by then.

Sent from my SM-G900V using GT-R Life mobile app

· Vendor
2,764 Posts
Usually once you get to FBO + E85, on less aggressive tires like MPSS, you start to see traction issues. What tires, and at what pressures are you using? If your in a very cold climate, this will obviously affect things as well.

· Registered
642 Posts
Was reading that running slicks is better than drag radials in the other thread... And will reduce from breaking parts?! I always thought it's the opposite when launching..

Sent from my SM-G900F using GT-R Life mobile app

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tires my friend. The stock RFTs will spin like heck on the factory set up.
Thanks for the replies.

Tires...Must be it... I have the Potenza REO70s which I thought had decent grip but many disagree. Right now stock sizes. But should be squared on R888 in a month or so in prep for COTA.

A lot of people mention pressures. What pressures are you guys running on the street?

· Registered
3,586 Posts
Ah yes, the "perfect launch" of the GT-R is thrown out of wack when you start making more power. It took me quite some time to tune my car to be able to launch again. Reducing boost in 1st gear can help too, and throwing on better tires does help. Advanced Traction Control software also helps a lot too. Get a good tuner and you will be good to go. I personally bought the ATR software and figured it out myself with the help of the AccessTuner users on the forum.

When I was on stock RF's I had to set RPM at 3800 and no boost in 1st gear to launch.

Now with some MPSS 285/335's I can launch at full boost and 4000 rpms just fine.

Note: Make sure to set CC's to +1 or +2 when you go FBO!!!!

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah yes, the "perfect launch" of the GT-R is thrown out of wack when you start making more power. It took me quite some time to tune my car to be able to launch again.

When I was on stock RF's I had to set RPM at 3800 and no boost in 1st gear to launch.

Now with some MPSS 285/335's I can launch at full boost and 4000 rpms just fine.

Note: Make sure to set CC's to +1 or +2 when you go FBO!!!!
A ha! Exactly the issue. I figured it would take some tweaks to get everything right again! Thanks for reply.

Once I get the injectors and intakes in - I have a custom tune all setup ;-)

That will make me almost FBO, short of downpipes which I don't want because of the sound. I daily this car a lot and it's a trade off I don't want right now. Cc and Tp are currently 0-0, 0-0 but I was thinking of trying 1-1, 1-1 or 2-2,2-2.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried to launch again - as soon I let go of the brake... Traction control light started flashing. I stayed in it - but it was terrible.

I read somewhere spinning the wheels is bad for the forward diff / clutch? When that happens should you just let off?

· Registered
161 Posts
Try R-R-Off. That's one way to keep the traction control out of the equation.

Shawn
Will try today if it dries up.

If the wheels still spin,will I hurt the car staying in it??

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spinning is one thing. Hop is another. Wheel hop kills GT-R driveshafts. If you get four wheel spin, so be it.

Shawn
Yeah this is just pure, speed zapping spin. Thx!

· Registered
3,586 Posts
When it gets cold out and wet, the launch will not work too well. Best try it when it is not wet out and warmer... Lower RPMs to help as well...

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.