Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since I probably can't afford a gtr, i was looking at something that's still fun and practical (back seats and preferably 4 doors) and I always go back to the s4.
does anyone here own one or have owned one?
people always say German cars are expensive to maintain, but what of the audicare program is purchased?
and what are your overall thoughts of this car? awd (I'm in Canada), impressive performance numbers, decent price.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I almost got one instead of the gtr. However it depends on whether you want to get a new s4 or a used one. New with all the options you are running very close to a used 2009 gtr price.
As a daily driver I would probably go for a s4 as it is a very nice car to drive. My parents are looking at getting a 2011 a4 s-line as well. Dont forget you can always extend your warranty on the audi for a bit extra money and be on the safe side if you do need to go in for service.
Good luck!!

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
I have a fully loaded 2012 S4 and it rocks. Just a great all around car that can get from point a to point b in a hurry. When I'm not driving my GTR it is a great substitute. Not really a car you can compare to the GTR but a very comfortable grocery getter. They can be pricey though as mine with all the options listed out for 63K.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that s4 looks great and would be the colour I want as well.
there's just no other car I can really compare to it for around the same price. anything cheaper would take away from the nice performance and comfort level.
I read something that Audi is heading in to the direction of a 4 cylinder turbo. I guess waiting for that next gen might be worth it since fuel efficiency will be better, but I wonder if performance will take a hit.
also, I haven't seen the interior at night, what does it look like Dave?
I should probably test drive one at night

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
There is another thread with loads of posts on the benefits of owning an S4. I have an Ibis white 2010 and it is a fantastic car. Audicare for less than $1K when you buy the car means all servicing and maintenance is free for 4 years/50K miles. My S4 has the S-Tronic gearbox and gets about 26 mpg at 75-80 mph on the highway. Fantastic winter car also since with a set of winters, it will go (almost) anywhere. These cars are deceptively fast. Highly recommended.
Bish

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I had one for 4.5 years, great car!

·
ACG Automotive
2,588 Posts
I owned one and would still have it if Audi and I could see eye to eye on warranty issues.

Had to sell because I refuse to support a company who treats their customers as such.

It was a great car though.

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Audi S5 Cabrio yesterday.

Had to chuckle when I found out it also has Launch Control.

Picking it up tomorrow. I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have an s4 as well (2011 quartz gray). Very nice vehicle and, frankly, a much better daily driver than a gtr. Still quite fast but the interior is stunning. It's got a modern look to it as well.

And grocery hooks in the trunk.

What more could a guy ask for in a daily?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what about the whole "German cars are unreliable" statement? (I tend to disagree with that but maybe because I dont want it to be true)
any problems with any of your s4's?

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
what about the whole "German cars are unreliable" statement? (I tend to disagree with that but maybe because I dont want it to be true)
any problems with any of your s4's?
The only thing so far are a couple interior rattles but I haven't had the dealer look into them yet.
Oh, one other thing. I have the DCT and sometimes it will shift for you in manual mode, even when you want to shift closer to redline manually. (happens even in dynamic mode) And it seems to do it at peak torque or sooner.....The only time it seems I can rev it out is in auto mode.....very strange. So this needs to be looked into also.

But no other complaints in 10K miles. Feels like a solid car but Audi's have not had the geatest reliability history in earlier years. The concensus is the quality is better now though. The interior is very nice.....especially with the Nappa Leather package.
Lastly...the car like some have said is deceptively fast!!

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
I witnessed a stock one Dyno 325awhp and 321awtq at my friend chads(cbrdspeedfactory) Dyno day. It's a mustang Dyno. We all were really impressed! For reference a stock 09 gtr lays down 360-380awhp on that Dyno!

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
I witnessed a stock one Dyno 325awhp and 321awtq at my friend chads(cbrdspeedfactory) Dyno day. It's a mustang Dyno. We all were really impressed! For reference a stock 09 gtr lays down 360-380awhp on that Dyno!
Yes they are supposedly underated at 333 flywheel hp. Like I said......deceptively fast!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only thing so far are a couple interior rattles but I haven't had the dealer look into them yet.
Oh, one other thing. I have the DCT and sometimes it will shift for you in manual mode, even when you want to shift closer to redline manually. (happens even in dynamic mode) And it seems to do it at peak torque or sooner.....The only time it seems I can rev it out is in auto mode.....very strange. So this needs to be looked into also.

But no other complaints in 10K miles. Feels like a solid car but Audi's have not had the geatest reliability history in earlier years. The concensus is the quality is better now though. The interior is very nice.....especially with the Nappa Leather package.
Lastly...the car like some have said is deceptively fast!!
that's what a Mercedes dealer told me. he has an a4 or a5 I forgot which, and there were some rattles. the auto shift before redline in manual mode seems like it would take out the point of the shifters..... that's strange. when are you having it looked at? and hopefully it's an issue they will fix for you and their future vehicles

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
I probably won't take it in until it's next service is due. The shifting before redline would bother me more at this point if I didn't have the GTR to drive when I want to get with it.

If it's your main fun machine like it would be for you I would have already taken it in asking what the heck is wrong with the shifting. I thought it was a break-in program at first but it is still doing it after almost 10K.

If you decide to get one I'd definitely check that out before you buy one. Maybe they all do that....just hasn't been high on my priority list to look into yet.

·
GoldMember
1,086 Posts
How does 464 HP sound. Its pretty inexpensive as well.

Here is the excerpt from AWE Performance:

B8 S4/S5 3.0T FSI G.I.A.C. Software is here. This software calibration offers dramatic improvements over the factory software. Proven rock solid across temperatures, octanes and elevations -- on the street, strip, or track.
Power figures
  • The 93 octane program makes 448hp and 396lb-ft at the crank when coupled with AWE Tuning Exhaust and S-FLO Intake.
  • The 100 octane program dishes out 464hp and 413lb-ft at the crank when coupled with AWE Tuning Exhaust and S-FLO Intake.
AWE Tuning is one of a few select dealers worldwide able to flash your car with this upgrade while you wait , or send in your ECU for bench flashing through the order form . The turnaround is quick, with next day return shipping after receipt.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.