Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone tried using Auto R mode transmission at races

I tried using auto R mode the first time yesterday at an autocross event. I had 2 runs using auto mode. Averagely they are 2 sec slower than manual on a 70 sec course. I felt the shifting speed on auto is not as crispy as manual. The other main concern I have is the speed dependent shifting not rpm dependent. At partial throttle, it upshifted for no reason. At races, redline should be the only upshifting point but it is not doing that. Not sure if that's doable, I will have to work with my tuner for it.

The reason why I am trying auto keep mode is at autocross we only got 5 runs or less. It's hard to figure out when to upshift. Sometime it only hits redline for a couple of sec and it's very hard to notice that unless engine hits rev limiter. I was hoping auto R mode could take care of this issue but the early shifting for partial throttle ruins the whole thing.

· Founder
25,900 Posts
I know this question is about yourbecutek tune but honestly You don't ever want to use auto at Autox as it will eventually mess you up by finding 3rd when you are off the throttle and its not needed ruining your run.

I've been autoxing GTRs since 2008 and 99% of the events I shift to 2nd after the first gate and forget about it. The GTR has enough torque where I can't imagine where 1st would ever be needed again

Most courses I do not need 3rd but when I do its just for a short period of time maybe just in one area then its back to 2nd. I can usually tell my the engine noise or a quick glance down when 3rd is needed

So usually in most Autox situations unless it's a super fast open course after my 1-2 shift I rarely think about shifting. Auto on Autox or track in the GTR just doesn't cut it as even in R mode you can find yourself a gear up that you need to be when off throttle

· Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MC thanks for the reply. I felt the same now. Auto is really not suitable for autocross. I am in Bay Arae and we have some best sites in the nation that allow course designer to put some wide open lines. I am hitting engine rev limiter on 2nd gear almost every event since I autocrossed with my GT-R 3 months ago. I wish auto mode could take care of that for me as my competitor running in GT3. Guess we don't have that available in GT-R. I will try to learn upshift or live with rev limiter then.

· Founder
25,900 Posts
Is it just usually once a lap you need to get Into 3rd? I would just try to listen for either an engine rev queue or something to let you know. As auto just isnt going to cut it. If you have sag a long slalom and you set your speed before you start if you ever coast or lift it will shift then you are left frantically trying to get back to 2nd. So frustrations sake I would do what I could to figure out when to shift and just rule auto out as an option

I know courses across the US vary but I can't see the need to ever go back to 1 so its a matter of a 2-3 then 3-2. In autox you can get away with a lot of trailbraking which also gives you some freedom to downshift there too. So going 3-2 shouldn't be a big deal. So priority would be learn when 3 is needed and when you can extend 2 to the absolute edge of redline before braking

· Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I don't downshift to 1. 3-2 is not a problem as you mentioned I could downshift when braking or carry speed with 3rd gear for a turn or 2. Finding when to upshift to 3 is a big challenge. I will have to learn how to hold the throttle steady close to redline. Sometimes I have one spot needing to go to 3 but most of time 2 spots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.