Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Guys:

Been lurking for awhile (
) on this forum & into possibly getting a GT-R.

I'm a hardcore Solo guy & would want to develop the GT-R into a National-level car. I currently campaign on Evo IX (BSP/SM prep) & previously an Evo VIII (SM prep) w/ good success (local domination & 3 wins & 1 second [car broke] out of 4 attempts @ National Tours in the SE since '08. I've been very pleased w/ the little Evos... :-D

I would like to see what's possible w/ the GT-R, but weight looks like it would preclude a serious effort. I've searched for weight reduction threads on this forum w/o much luck. I'm sure getting to mid-500 whp should be relatively easy & a set of coilovers (I've had good luck w/ KW3s) & alignment, along w/ maximizing wheel/tire size etc should make the car formidable, but unless it can be (somehow) dropped to the 35-36xx # level, I don't think it will be enough. Thoughts/ideas of where to get some weight reduction ideas? Chances are the car would need to go to SM, as opposed to ASP due to some of the weight-saving measures, I'd imagine.

Or... Should I just stick to the Evos?

Many thanks to AutoXGTR for his informative, accurate-info posts regarding Solo.

Thanks,

George B.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Guys:

Been lurking for awhile (
) on this forum & into possibly getting a GT-R.

I'm a hardcore Solo guy & would want to develop the GT-R into a National-level car. I currently campaign on Evo IX (BSP/SM prep) & previously an Evo VIII (SM prep) w/ good success (local domination & 3 wins & 1 second [car broke] out of 4 attempts @ National Tours in the SE since '08. I've been very pleased w/ the little Evos... :-D

I would like to see what's possible w/ the GT-R, but weight looks like it would preclude a serious effort. I've searched for weight reduction threads on this forum w/o much luck. I'm sure getting to mid-500 whp should be relatively easy & a set of coilovers (I've had good luck w/ KW3s) & alignment, along w/ maximizing wheel/tire size etc should make the car formidable, but unless it can be (somehow) dropped to the 35-36xx # level, I don't think it will be enough. Thoughts/ideas of where to get some weight reduction ideas? Chances are the car would need to go to SM, as opposed to ASP due to some of the weight-saving measures, I'd imagine.

Or... Should I just stick to the Evos?

Many thanks to AutoXGTR for his informative, accurate-info posts regarding Solo.

Thanks,

George B.
George,

Changing cars again
Big heavy car but it was faster than Ian at the AutoX when we ran the 2008 One Lap in the GT2 with a half buggered up suspension. Again a Big and Heavy car that is going to running against super fast Lotus in XP, Vettes & 997.2GT3RS (could be a killer car) in ASP and ??? in SM. Of course if you do get 1 I have dibs on a co-drive or we can swap rides with the GT2.

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chuck, thx for the link--that AMS car is a serious effort... I'm thinking weight can be pared w/ exhaust, wheel/tire, battery, rotors, seats, a very low fuel load, etc to start with.

Peter, what in the world are you doing lurking on this forum? Of course, I have an excuse running the Rally cars over the last 5 yrs LOL
I'm always game to drive the GT2...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Chuck, thx for the link--that AMS car is a serious effort... I'm thinking weight can be pared w/ exhaust, wheel/tire, battery, rotors, seats, a very low fuel load, etc to start with.

Peter, what in the world are you doing lurking on this forum? Of course, I have an excuse running the Rally cars over the last 5 yrs LOL
I'm always game to drive the GT2...
George,

Not Lurking, just standing up for real Drivers cars,
No Traction/Launch Control,No AWD,No Computers,No Auto Tranny's.

True you can loose weight but so can every other SM car, still going to be heavy. You know you want 1 so just get it.

Peter

·
www.goturnstop.com
1,377 Posts
George,

If you are in Blytheville for the National this weekend. Track down Steven Rankins and Jon Krolewicz.
They will be in DSP, driving the Army Special Recruiting Subaru RS.
Both have time in my car, Steven co-drove w/ me last year during out OLoA win.

They have extensive experience w/ the GT-R, and experience in what it takes for a National level prepped Auto-X car.

PM me for their cell numbers if you can't track them down.

-Will

·
Founder/Admin
26,149 Posts
yeah steven is a friend and a very good autocrosser... he ran a couple runs with me last year giving me some good feedback aswell

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will, no AR for me this past weekend--my wife is expecting, so I'm grounded for awhile... I may take you up on the # when I get a chance to talk setup--thx.

Peter, I do want one, and I'm looking to do some consolidation (for the above reason--lol), but I want to be sure I'm not in a toad @ the big events ;-)

·
www.goturnstop.com
1,377 Posts
Will, no AR for me this past weekend--my wife is expecting, so I'm grounded for awhile... I may take you up on the # when I get a chance to talk setup--thx.

Peter, I do want one, and I'm looking to do some consolidation (for the above reason--lol), but I want to be sure I'm not in a toad @ the big events ;-)
Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
www.goturnstop.com
1,377 Posts
Peter can attest to the beating we put on the GT2.

GT-R has the potential, just needs to be a complete balanced package.
Too much of any one thing and the handling goes wrong pretty quickly.

Jason Hupenbecker is up here at the shop in NC now. Hanging out post AR event.
We will be shipping him back to Orlando soon.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts

The key is how to get a complete and balanced package for the GTR.

National level GTR?

Maybe but not easily.

You'd have to be looking at every last bit of advantage you can tweak out of any given class.

Stock class- Not eligible. Maybe someday if it were in Super Stock and if there were some decent soft R compound tires then some weight reduction by adding a titanium exhaust and some aggressive alignment might be OK.

ASP- Some upgrades are legal and very welcome. You choice of 19" wheels and tires or 18". Best would be custom wheels and super wide tires that barely fit. Choice of race level coilovers that are fully adjustable. Front and rear adjustable endlinks and swaybars with corner balancing. Straight midpipe and cat back exhaust both in Titanium to save weight. Race seats for fit and save weight. Tear out the stereo to save weight. Upgraded intake.

SM class- Same as ASP plus, Cobb AP custom tune. Decatted Down pipes, large bore titanium midpipe and cat back titanium exhaust with no mufflers, larger intercoolers, upgraded fuel injectors, upgraded brakes, fuel cell, racing battery to save weight, No Air conditioning, No Stereo, No back seat.

More modified than SM class- not really worth it for autocrossing. Becomes a money pit. Wider fenders and body kit with full aero wing in back, CF roof, hood and trunk lids, remove the interior, add roll cage with racing harnesses. Super wide wheels and wider R compound tires and all the upgrades in ASP and SM classes. Upgraded turbos.

·
www.goturnstop.com
1,377 Posts
The key is how to get a complete and balanced package for the GTR.

National level GTR?

Maybe but not easily.

You'd have to be looking at every last bit of advantage you can tweak out of any given class.

Stock class- Not eligible. Maybe someday if it were in Super Stock and if there were some decent soft R compound tires then some weight reduction by adding a titanium exhaust and some aggressive alignment might be OK.

ASP- Some upgrades are legal and very welcome. You choice of 19" wheels and tires or 18". Best would be custom wheels and super wide tires that barely fit. Choice of race level coilovers that are fully adjustable. Front and rear adjustable endlinks and swaybars with corner balancing. Straight midpipe and cat back exhaust both in Titanium to save weight. Race seats for fit and save weight. Tear out the stereo to save weight. Upgraded intake.

SM class- Same as ASP plus, Cobb AP custom tune. Decatted Down pipes, large bore titanium midpipe and cat back titanium exhaust with no mufflers, larger intercoolers, upgraded fuel injectors, upgraded brakes, fuel cell, racing battery to save weight, No Air conditioning, No Stereo, No back seat.

More modified than SM class- not really worth it for autocrossing. Becomes a money pit. Wider fenders and body kit with full aero wing in back, CF roof, hood and trunk lids, remove the interior, add roll cage with racing harnesses. Super wide wheels and wider R compound tires and all the upgrades in ASP and SM classes. Upgraded turbos.
Custom exhaust.
No need to spend money for Ti. My stainless single weighs less then most Ti quad tip commercially available options.

Wheels & tires.
Going to have to do them anyway. I am running 19x11 on all corners w/o issue. 19x13 can be run all around if the front fenders are flared. The rear tucks it in no problem.

Weight.
Yes it weighs a lot but the weight is low in the chassis.

Stock turbos and stock IC.
No need to upgrade for auto-x. The run time is not long enough to outweigh the cost and reduced response time.
Currently my car makes 547hp DD ~618hp DJ with a big flat tq curve. Plenty of power as is to spin tires in a straight line in the lower gears, any much more will be too unruly on course.

Aero at auto-x speed.
Does help but a simple splitter and Aeromotions active wing does wonders.

Like I said, when you are ready George. Come see us in Charlotte.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Beating, well Steven was faster. I doubt he would have beaten Ian if he was in a GT3. Bench Racing only

The key to Turbo cars in AutoX is not power but turbo lag.

Check your rules but I don't think Active Aero is legal in SCCA. ASP/SM classes.

More tire is good to a point but a car has to be nimble in AutoX.

George the only way to know is get a GT-r and bring it out. If you go new you will have North of $100,000 before you are through. I think a real sleeper is the 997.1 GT3RS in FP and the cost is around $100,000 and going down fast, or the new 997.2GT3RS in ASP around $130,000 for a new low option car. Should be able to get to 3000#'s easy with 435 rwhp better gearing than earlier GT3's and no Turbo Lag.

AutoX is different than Road Racing in light weight trumps hp. Look at CSP where a Championship Miata is 2 secs faster than an SS Lotus/ZO6/GT3 which would smoke the same miata on the track.

Will,

You can keep jason for a while if you want

Peter

·
www.goturnstop.com
1,377 Posts
Active would have a small advantage at auto-x speeds. More so an advantage in the ability for quick adjustments.

Remember Daytona

1/4 wing drop on GT-R 20sec
1/4 wing drop on GT2 22 minutes

The Aeromotions wing is effective at low speed *sub 60mph*, proven that w/ the skidpad numbers my car has produced.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Active would have a small advantage at auto-x speeds. More so an advantage in the ability for quick adjustments.

Remember Daytona

1/4 wing drop on GT-R 20sec
1/4 wing drop on GT2 22 minutes

The Aeromotions wing is effective at low speed *sub 60mph*, proven that w/ the skidpad numbers my car has produced.
Boy you must have had nothing to do if you times my wing angle change.
What we really missed @ Daytona was the front air dam that I ripped off on I95 on the way to Gainesville.

Will, you know better than that, You proved nothing with the wing at slow speeds @ the wet skid pad as you did NOT do a back to back run without the wing. and than repeat it. Then YOU would have valid data. It is the same as saying Leh's Cup Car wing on the GT2 is better than the Aeromotions wing on Catesby's GT-r since he pulled more G's on the dry skid pad.

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok guys--no need to get your panties wadded up... lol

I'm thinking the weight can be brought down w/ 18" rims/tires, exhaust paring, different seats, battery, some of the sound equipment, rotors, odds/ends. ASP would be the place to start & see how badly it goes from there...

Peter, I'd buy a used '09 for high $50s-low $60s & try to keep costs controlled from there.

Will, is Hupe moving back down?

·
www.goturnstop.com
1,377 Posts

I'm thinking the weight can be brought down w/ 18" rims/tires, exhaust paring, different seats, battery, some of the sound equipment, rotors, odds/ends. ASP would be the place to start & see how badly it goes from there...

Peter, I'd buy a used '09 for high $50s-low $60s & try to keep costs controlled from there.

Showed Jason this thread, says he knows you or something.

Don't know what his plans are honestly.
He's got at least 2 race cars still in Fl so he is going to have to make a trip down there at some point.

I think starting w/ a used 09 a national caliber car can be built for under 100k.
Another plus is the cars really are holding their value well on the market. So when/if the time comes to part with it, not a huge hit.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Another plus is the cars really are holding their value well on the market. So when/if the time comes to part with it, not a huge hit.
Is it? It doesn't appear like that when people are selling them like there is no tomorrow. I hate it when people do that, just de-value the car so much quicker.

But anyways, $100k to build an ASP car that isn't guaranteed to be competitive is really not a great idea. I just don't see how the car can be setup to be competitive at all given its weight. You may be able to do well in the Pro Solo with the advantage in the launch, but in National, it's just a little iffy.

I really hope we can have a super uber class for the GTR, R8, 997.2 TT and the likes to play. Just makes things easier.....

·
Who Dat !
7,797 Posts
Beating, well Steven was faster. I doubt he would have beaten Ian if he was in a GT3. Bench Racing only

The key to Turbo cars in AutoX is not power but turbo lag.

Check your rules but I don't think Active Aero is legal in SCCA. ASP/SM classes.

More tire is good to a point but a car has to be nimble in AutoX.

George the only way to know is get a GT-r and bring it out. If you go new you will have North of $100,000 before you are through. I think a real sleeper is the 997.1 GT3RS in FP and the cost is around $100,000 and going down fast, or the new 997.2GT3RS in ASP around $130,000 for a new low option car. Should be able to get to 3000#'s easy with 435 rwhp better gearing than earlier GT3's and no Turbo Lag.

AutoX is different than Road Racing in light weight trumps hp. Look at CSP where a Championship Miata is 2 secs faster than an SS Lotus/ZO6/GT3 which would smoke the same miata on the track.

Will,

You can keep jason for a while if you want

Peter
Ive felt this same way... big power really doesnt give big gains for everything.... unless your a drag racer and I stand by my theory that this car was not designed for drag racing.... regardless, I did a good thread on the main GTR board about weight savings and things ... I decided to just work on the suspension and lightening and keep the stock turbos

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=40991

there is some horrible video of me at an autoX that you can laugh at on page 3 or 4

·
Registered
136 Posts

George,

No Panty wads
I know Will better that I know you and we do go back and forth in good fun.

I have been shocked at the costs quoted for some of the GT-r parts, such as JRZ shocks. I thing the GT-r suppliers have taken lessons from Porsche aftermarket suppliers and raised it a notch or 2$$$

Get will to put you in touch with Steve Rankins and talk to him about AutoX in Will's GT-r. Steve is capable of trophying at Nationals. ie he can get a car around the course.

Peter

1 - 20 of 260 Posts